Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By ProfessionalLocator

Thread: Want Food Stamps? Work at Utility Resource Group

Default Want Food Stamps? Work at Utility Resource Group

If you want to work your tail off--yet still be poor enough to qualify for food stamps work at URG. What's even better is watching the owner Vince, with all his fancy cars and clothes while his employees are treated badly by an out of touch manager who wants everything done 110 percent, but still expects you to move fast. That's another thing, if you like to be harassed when your doing the best you can, again work for Utility Resource Group. Also, if you want to work at a place that stresses you out more than you can imagine-again work for URG. They will give you 60 tickets a day, and have you cover a huge area, and pay you like you work at Taco Bell. Pass.

If you are a young kid that does not need a whole lot of money, but seriously, many employees there qualify for state assistance.

Default Re: Want Food Stamps? Work at Utility Resource Group

The manager is so out of touch with reality-it's laughable. The owner too is out of touch, and seems to have no idea what his workers are going through. Lets also talk about the insurance....again going back to the man and his money grab (with absolutely not a care for the well-being of his employees) the insurance for just one individual is $100 every check. A good example of someone trying to take everything they can while placing no value on the employees making the money.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ballin View Post
    the insurance for just one individual is $100 every check...They will give you 60 tickets a day, and have you cover a huge area
    I'd take that. Insurance here, depending on chosen plan, ranges from 100-164$ per check. That's the cheapest I've been offered to get insurance in the last 7 years or so. Not since I work for the city government and they paid almost all the monthly fees.

But...I think I applied for URG somewhere back at the end of last year. Good thing I didn't end up there. Enjoy where I'm at now. I have dealt with 60+ tickets/day (4-ways area, ALL underground) and I know some people right now dealing with 100-200/day already this summer that's sometimes the name of the game. For me the pay has to be right. How low do they pay? I remember ELM was posting like 10/hr. for experienced guys...that just isn't going to happen for me.
    Last edited by mattm211; June 8th, 2013 at 10:18 PM.

Years of Experience

Welcome to the Vine Big Ballin, post often

Is URG a good place to work?

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Low wages are a problem everywhere in our industry.

In my area the locators just move way out of the expensive urban / suburban are of one of the highest cost of living areas in the nation.

We have people that live an hour or more away from the work areas. The company doesn't realize it but the company pays for this.

That 120 mile plus a day drive is done in a company vehicle so the company pays gas, wear and tear on the vehicle. The employee gets extra money when on-call as the drive time is on overtime, adds two or more hours, minimum 3 man-hours, to the cost of each ticket.

The really big expense is attrition as people do not see this as a long term job, pay too low for most people to spend their life doing this. There are no real schools that turn out locators. After the company spends one to three years developing a raw recruit into a functional locator they quit and all the development money is wasted.

In addition production suffers. An employee in any job reaches the point they are productive and making money for the company. If the employee see that the company is making a whole lot of money off their labor but does not increase their pay they simply reduce their production. I have seen this for decades in the past and I see it now. Because these employees are not paid enough and they cut production and time critical work must still get done. To do this the company must pay overtime to get the work done that would have been done of straight time or hire more people, buy more trucks and equipment.

Low wages is one of the most costly things a company does. Unfortunately we have a lot of bean counters who know how to count beans but do not know beans about our business.
    The Big-E, yahoo and Nb22x like this.