Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By bloodyknuckles
  • 1 Post By Mke
  • 2 Post By ProfessionalLocator

Thread: Very Interested

Default Very Interested

Good evening everyone. I have been looking over these forums for a few weeks now and am probably going to apply for USIC very soon. Now I know there are those will will bash it and tell me to run, and that is fine. I have read plenty of negative about it. I believe, and hope I'm right, that this is just like every job. Those that have negative things to say and those who are positive. Either way I would like some feedback. first off, I have no experience doing locate work. But all the ads I have seen lately says no experience necessary they will train you. is it hard for someone with no experience to actually get hired? I have 11 years of self management experience and I enjoy working outside as that is what I did before. Also reading the forums here I have seen where several people say the starting pay is around $14 per hour I saw one advertisement they said the pay here is less than that per hour. What are yalls experience about this? Even though there are disagreements about certain companies it seems everyone gets along and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all the comments. Any feedback about anything to help me get started in this career would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys and have a great Thanksgiving!

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Very Interested

Georgia is a right to pay you less state, so the starting pay may be lower there than in other states, and they will train you, USIC prefers to train their own as opposed to hiring experienced help, it's cheaper for them in the long run.

Years of Experience

They usually start people with no experience in locating at 13$. They will train you, just pay attention and will be a breeze. Out in the field is where you realize there is more to it than what you learned sitting in a class. Ask questions if you're not sure. Good luck
    Ekim and Hallet17 like this.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Ekim, Locating is one of those jobs where you get out of it what you put into it. If you are quick on the uptake and put some effort into knowing what you need to do to locate everything you will do fine. Hell, even if you didn't put any effort into it, they will still keep you as a locator for a year or so to get their money out of you to cover training....... then they will move you up to a supervisor position. (joke)

I liken locating to Math. In the begining you have to do all the equations the long way and showing all your work. the more you learn, the more shortcuts you will pick up. However, if you don't know how those short cuts work, they will only get you into trouble. Same goes for locating. Pick up the basics and you'll be fine.

As for the pay..... it depends on area and company. It looks like you are in the ball park though.

mke
    UULC likes this.

I appreciate the responses. Main thing I was curious about was the no experience hindering me from actually getting hired. Based off the many comments I've read on this forum, that doesn't matter as they will train you. Only experience I have is law enforcement, but that allowed me to be alone and work in the field under minimal supervision, kind of what you guys do. Again, thanks for all the help and hopefully soon I'll be asking about questions to help me because I'll be an actual locator.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

It does vary, I live in one of the highest cost of living areas in the country and starting pay here is $12 or $13 and hour.

Some of the big firms have variations in their offices so some are good places to work. But for a firm with a bad reputation most places are bad and the good locations are 'corrected' to fit the head office's way of doing things sooner or later.

So you need a job, or one that is a bit better paying than the one you have, so just take it.
    You need a years plus success in the job to make yourself a desirable applicant to another company. Spend the first year learning the trade, and you never stop learning new things here, and evaluating the firm.
    If you decide that it is not a place you want to stay at take their training and sell it to the next employer.
    UULC and Ekim like this.

in Illinois its 14 an hour during training and after. not sure how the raises or bonuses work if they have em...........