Thread: Usic training...hard? How many tests?

Years of Experience

Default Usic training...hard? How many tests?

I just got hired in at usic and am starting training, I was wondering how many tests ou have to take and pass to continue to work for usic? Are the tests very hard? Any advice on going into 3 week training?

Years of Experience

Default Re: Usic training...hard? How many tests?

Take lots of notes... written tests are just memory... Pay close attention when you go on the ride-a-long with a veteran locator... He will show you (hopefully) what you REALLY need to know to do this job well.

Years of Experience

How many tests are there? If I fail a test will I lose out on the job? Is there a state test I have to pass or? Just trying to get a grasp on the process of the training and what I have to do to get through it to finally start working in the field

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure one of the USIC guys here on the board will correct me, because I have never worked for them, but if I had to wager a guess you will probably be saddled with maybe a test a week in order to make sure you understand what they were teaching during that week.

There is no State test to become a locator. The test and the training is all company specific and covers the basic concept of locating. That is why Big E stated to take notes when you actually ride with a seasoned locator, this is where you will see real world situations and how to perform up to company standards.

As for your training class, they should cover basic concepts of Radio frequency and how lower frequencies can go farther and bleed off less, and how higher frequencies do the opposite.

They will also hammer into your head that induction was created by the devil himself and should never be used, like wise the devil created bleed off in order to confuse locators.

I'd just keep notes, pay attention, and ask questions on this board and you'll be fine with any test they throw at you.

mke

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by Ldeckard View Post
    How many tests are there? If I fail a test will I lose out on the job? Is there a state test I have to pass or? Just trying to get a grasp on the process of the training and what I have to do to get through it to finally start working in the field
    Any test you fail, you'll get to take again until you pass. Don't stress on it. The real learning starts when the training class ends.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    Any test you fail, you'll get to take again until you pass. Don't stress on it. The real learning starts when the training class ends.
    When I was in class, if you failed the same test 3 times you were done. Now if you have a cool trainer that sees that you actually put forth effort he will take you to a totally different room when you are on your 3rd strike and have you take the test which involves him nodding or grunting when you are choosing the right or wrong answer. But just study. May sound college degree but i found it best to make flash cards. My trainer told us exactly what the test would be on or a "cheat sheet". My biggest problem once i gained experience in locating was them damn test. Just show interest, when you go for field training be that guy that steps up when they ask for whose gonna go. Show initiative and you'll pass the class no problem.

Good Luck

Years of Experience

Hard? If you can read the English language you will pass the tests.