Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USIC possibility...

Default USIC possibility...

Hello, I am new (obviously).

I am writing to you all because I have been offered a utility locate position with USIC and I am very weary about taking it due to the hours and perceived level of difficulty... but the pay and benefits far exceed my current jobs offerings and would provide a "get out of debt in 2 months instead of 2 years" type of situation.

I currently work inventory control for a major telecommunications company. There is no room for me to be hired at this time as a real employee (contract right now) and I don't believe there will be for some time to come. However... I am quite satisfied with the job. It's practically my ideal job sans the pay and benefits.

Is it worth switching careers and working for USIC? Are they a good locate company or will the run me into the ground? Do they care about their employees and their families? I have about 2 hours to decide because they want to send me for drug testing (as the final step in being hired).

It's really weighing heavily on me and I would like to hear from current or former employees specifically. My gut reaction is "no."

Years of Experience
    30+

Default Re: USIC possibility...

USICMAYBE,

I would tell you to go through all the threads on the Vine and read them. USIC is the punching bag on this site. I use to work for them both as a locator and a supervisor. I do not have a bad thing to say about them. I was let go because as a supervisor I tried to juggle 2 phones and a laptop on the road when I should have pulled over. They will give you the work and will expect you in time to get it completed. Go through all the threads and you will need to make a decision. Good luck and welcome to the Vine.

If you don't mind working outside, all hours of the day, night weekends, sometimes lots of overtime, other times barely getting in 35 hrs a week. Fighting off dogs, bees, wasps, fire ants and an occasional snake, plus putting up with irate homeowners, lying contractors(and USIC managers) then by all means come to work and forget about that job that you like doing.
    Seriously, if you really like doing what you do now, try to figure a way to make yourself more valuable to your current employer and maybe receive more pay and stability. Changing jobs strictly for more pay very seldom works for anyone. This job has an 80%+ turnover rate and definitely isn't for just anyone.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

go for it. not sure how other areas work, but if you are a younger person then you can easily make a good relationship with contractors and work your way into a better job that way, with a different company. its what i do. its a fun job, but the political bs that goes along with it makes it rough. there are better jobs, there are worse.

or if you do take the job, might have a locate in the woods and find old sassy resting on a rock and get rich that way. i havent found him yet, but still looking.

I have nothing good to say about USIC. The Supervisors and DM's suck. They are lazy and clueless about what goes on in the field. USIC is all about the amount of locates you can do in a day period. Its all about micro managing. They will throw you under the bus in a minute. If I were you I would take the job long enough to pay off your bills and then high tale it out of there before they have a chance to bend you over and screw you so bad you will not be able to hold another job in the locating industry ever!

Quote Originally Posted by locator00566 View Post
    I have nothing good to say about USIC. The Supervisors and DM's suck. They are lazy and clueless about what goes on in the field. USIC is all about the amount of locates you can do in a day period. Its all about micro managing. They will throw you under the bus in a minute. If I were you I would take the job long enough to pay off your bills and then high tale it out of there before they have a chance to bend you over and screw you so bad you will not be able to hold another job in the locating industry ever!
    Ya what he said. Take it, pay off the debts and move on. Its basicly what I'm doing.

If you don't mind being watched over every second that you are on the job,And being treated as if you are a second rate person and being nailed to the wall if you should happen to have a damage,Go for it, Usic could care less about it's locators,All they are about is their bottom line PERIOD.Coming from a long time empl.

Thanks for the welcome and for the replies. You guys definitely helped reinforce my gut feeling. I'll stick with what I've got for now.

if your company is anything like usic, tell them you got another job opportunity with another company and you never know they might give you a raise and you can stay at the job you have now. thats about what you have to do here to get a raise.

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by USICMAYBE View Post
    Thanks for the welcome and for the replies. You guys definitely helped reinforce my gut feeling. I'll stick with what I've got for now.
    You made the right choice.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4jw87 View Post
    if your company is anything like usic, tell them you got another job opportunity with another company and you never know they might give you a raise and you can stay at the job you have now. thats about what you have to do here to get a raise.
    This is so true, they won't give you anything until you either threaten to leave or do actually leave and are rehired in at a higher rate.
    Life's a garden, dig it! - Joe Dirt

You made the right choice!!! Once you get in you'll spend the whole time trying to get back out!!!!

Good choice left them a year ago took a hit in pay but I'm happy with who I work for now, still locating.

I don't know where all of you have worked at for USIC. But it is nothing like the way you all make it sound in my state. Sure they want production goals meet, idle times down. But with other companies bidding contracts so low now. You still have to make money. Yea GPS sucks, but if you are doing your job as you are supposed to the GPS is no big deal. The idle time thing, take the amount if trucks they have and add all the idle time up and think of the added cost. I have worked for 4 or 5 different locate companies over the last 20 plus years, they are not the best but no where the worse I have worked for. I have been with USIC now for almost 8 years. My check is always in the bank( can't say that about all of them) and they have always done what they told me. So gripe and whine all you want, but if you don't like them; don't work for them. But for me they have done.just what they have always said they were going to do. Everyone one has to make.money, including the.companies we work for. Look at Exxon, now there is a snake in the grass. Just my 2 cents worth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast