Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USIC maybe?

Default Re: USIC maybe?

Well I spoke to a guy with USIC and he said I wouldn't work at all on Sundays. I've been trying to find a guy who works for USIC in my area so I can speak with him about what hours he works and how this area is. I have a guy bugging me about buying my company out and I need to make a decision soon. My company does make much during Jan and Feb. I see what you mean about the high turnover rate being due to poor management. It's kinda scary.

Sorry... my company doesn't make much this time of year.

Years of Experience

While not being one to discourage someone from joining the wonderful world of locating, might I make a suggestion?

If your problem is a lack of income during the winter months from your landscaping business, I have 2 words for you - Christmas Lights. Admittedly it's too late for this year, but custom installation of holiday lighting (both commercial and residential) is big business, not much overhead, and a great way to make income over the Sept. - Jan. lull. Particularly with an existing customer base that you would have already. $30k-$60k profit first year isn't unheard of. There's also things like window washing and such that can be contracted.

Do some research on the subject, it may be an avenue you haven't considered.

If you're just tired of the game, USIC isn't as bad as some. And locating CAN be a rewarding career, with a decent wage. Good Luck!
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

I did the Christmas light thing a few years back. But because I'm insured my insurance wants to go up for the coverage of me or my guys up and down roofs. It helps a little but do it for a couple of years. It gets frustrating. Plus since many are my existing customers I would get calls about a bulb being out or a stran not working. I know there's money to be made there but all and all I think I'm just ready for something different.
    In owning my own business I have to worry about employees, equipment, fuel, customers, everything. And most important MONEY. Don't get me wrong. I make a decent living when I'm busy but I am just over all the stress. It wasn't bad in the beginning when I didn't have kids cause all I cared about was money. Any successful business requires you heart and soul and all of your time. That's why I'm lookin for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by hurley24 View Post
    I did the Christmas light thing a few years back. But because I'm insured my insurance wants to go up for the coverage of me or my guys up and down roofs. It helps a little but do it for a couple of years. It gets frustrating. Plus since many are my existing customers I would get calls about a bulb being out or a stran not working. I know there's money to be made there but all and all I think I'm just ready for something different.
    In owning my own business I have to worry about employees, equipment, fuel, customers, everything. And most important MONEY. Don't get me wrong. I make a decent living when I'm busy but I am just over all the stress. It wasn't bad in the beginning when I didn't have kids cause all I cared about was money. Any successful business requires you heart and soul and all of your time. That's why I'm lookin for a change.
    There is a golden opportunity in Houston to work for yourslef and make triple what you've made this year. I just found out about it 3 months ago and it is the reason why I will be able to tell USIC to kiss my a$$ come spring. If you are interested PM me andI will let you know. I do not want to see someone who owns their own business give it up to come work in the seventh circle of hell that is USIC.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by RD_Wrangler View Post
    While not being one to discourage someone from joining the wonderful world of locating, might I make a suggestion?

If your problem is a lack of income during the winter months from your landscaping business, I have 2 words for you - Christmas Lights. Admittedly it's too late for this year, but custom installation of holiday lighting (both commercial and residential) is big business, not much overhead, and a great way to make income over the Sept. - Jan. lull. Particularly with an existing customer base that you would have already. $30k-$60k profit first year isn't unheard of. There's also things like window washing and such that can be contracted.

Do some research on the subject, it may be an avenue you haven't considered.

If you're just tired of the game, USIC isn't as bad as some. And locating CAN be a rewarding career, with a decent wage. Good Luck!
    Good point about the Christmas lights, they pay you to put them up and then to take them down. People may wonder who in residential property pays someone to put up lights, people with money. I have noticed from locating that most of the people in the high income homes seem incapable of doing much for themselves. They are too used to paying people to do things for them and have lost their ability to be independent. Where any of use would quickly go into the car and change oil, spark plugs, McPherson struts and what not these people won't change their own air filters. So putting up lights and decorations in the 'rich' neighborhoods sounds like a good option.

Around here I have run into a couple of landscaping firms that use their experience of putting in underground sprinklers as the base for installing streetlight cable and CATV cables. Same basic thing, you are putting tubes under the ground.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by hurley24 View Post
    If you are looking for something with less stress locating is not it.

You are constantly fighting a deadline and constantly pressured to increase production. If you make an error and get a damage you may, depending on the firm, be fired on the spot, that hangs over your head every minute. If you are marking gas and electric you constantly worry if you made a mistake that will result in people getting maimed or killed. Working in roadways you always have to keep one eye on traffic and try not to get run over. On construction sites you keep one out for heavy equipment like dozers and back hoes and try not to get run over.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12