Thread: Usic i'm out!!!!

Default Usic i'm out!!!!

been a member of this AWESOME site for about 3years now and while i dont post often there wasnt a week where i wasnt on here atleast 2 or 3 times a week, really this site is a valuable tool for ANY locator!!!

I've had locating for USIC now for almost 4 years as of this past Friday (3-8) and 2 years a lead locator, in them 4 years ive had 2 "at fault" damages. the first "at fault" damage was my 1st month in the field and my 2nd damage was a little over a year and a half ago which to this day im still unsure why i was "charged" with this damage when the damage investigator toned the same route i did regardless my damage ratio with the company was 1:14,122 as of last weds when i checked lol.... but this brings me to my story and the crap we're dealing with about 11 months ago while on my day off my Father n law and i were out checking traps in his wood and as we were walking back up the lane out of the woods i notice a small white pick-up truck backing into the lane and parking (no cones lol) as we got closer to the truck i quickly realized it was one of our trucks (USIC) so i figured id go up and talk to my fellow co-worker for a bit well i we got closer to the truck we both quickly realized there were 2 people in the truck long story short it was my supervisor and a topless female ummmm well i think you can figure the rest out lol, my sup tried telling me some BS story and it was ok for her to be in the truck because he was a sup. Well after giving what i saw a lot of thought i decided that just to cover my own arse i had to say something to our District Manager about it, now i wasnt looking to get my sup fired or anything it was more of a company liablity thing for me because at the time i was a 110% pure company man. I knew this info could cost my sup his job and his marriage but also felt he put himself in that situation not me. I finally got a meeting set up with our DM told him what i knew and 2 days later i get a call from our DM telling me im no longer a part of that crew and im going to be transferred to another crew, which in my eyes was punishment for telling what i knew. Around this point i quickly realized USIC wasnt for me while i LOVE locating i started hating my own company id rather deal with sh*tty contractors than incompetent sups and DMs... I knew i had a pretty good reputation with all my contractors and Utility owners so during the summer and fall months last year i began rubbing elbows on the golf course with everyone i could that was involved with underground utilities and my hard work and reputation paid off as i start locating "in house" on monday for a very reputable underground utility owner!! NOT only did i escape the 7th ring of HELL but i went from making $15hr to almost doubling my hourly!!!!

USIC has some awesome locators and i will miss most the folks ive worked with for the last four years, guys use your experience at USIC and better yourselves!!

I was going to go on about all the little stuff that ive learned the past 4 years about loopoles, drops, double moving tickets to increase crew production and my personal favorite at the end of the day any and all tickets that you put any paint on the ground e-mail your sup with ALL thier ticket #s creating a "paper trail" stating these locates need back checked because they toned "funny", if anything gets hit on these tickets the locator is cleared because thier sup was notified of a problem at said locate and its up to the sup to go there and hook-up and verify....you learn ALOT eating lunch almost everyday with sups and at least twice a month with another areas DM because your kids play on the same AAU team...it is what it is lol

PEACE, I'M OUT!!!

Default Re: Usic i'm out!!!!

Let me be the first to congratulate you on your new job. It is a shame that your sup put you in that position, you did the rite thing by reporting to your DM.
    Your DM should be fired along with your sup.
    Now, what the ---- did I do with that ped wrench???????????

Years of Experience

Wow!!! nice story... congrats to ya

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Reporting the supervisor was the right thing but at that firm obviously the right thing is not the smart thing.

It reminds me off.....

At a company I worked at years ago, not my current employer, one of the locators had gone back to the office after hours to copy some paperwork. The door was open and apparently everyone had gone home and left the front door open. As he walked down the hall the DM's office door opened and the DM walked out pulling on his pants, a female office worker was behind him.

He never said anything but a cushy job with a pay raise was created for him. Real cushy, no real work to do.

Oh yes, he could not remember the exact date when he spoke of it a couple of years later but the date may have been a major factor. Near as I could tell the young lady was 17 when she started work at the firm.

A do nothing job and a raise, silence really is golden.

That DM left that firm some years later and I do keep a loose watch on him. He was taken into custody by the State Police and extradited to another state last year on a Fugitive From Justice warrant.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Wait a minute..... when did having a topless woman in your company vehicle become a problem?

Congrats on the new job. Switching from contract locating to an in-house gig is great.

As for the situation with the DM.... With all the oversight from the company on the day to day operations of the field locator, you have been put in a situation where you have to cover your arse at all times. If it came out, and your DM mentioned you seen him, you could of been put into the firing line as well.

I liken it to where I work. We have a secure facility and it is bread into us that if we see any violations to our protocol we have to report it... its mandatory. The Feds even come in and set up operations where they violate the protocols just to see if they get people calling on them. If you visibly see something and ignore it.... its your job.

In no way am I supporting what your DM did, but it was a hole lot nicer back in the day when we had free range usage of the company vehicle (within reason). I remember helping my supervisor with a load of bark dust. Hell, I took my company truck to pick up my Christmas tree 2 years in a row. It was a different time when the company only cared about if the work got done accurately. Go figure.

Mke

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Reporting the supervisor was the right thing but at that firm obviously the right thing is not the smart thing.

It reminds me off.....

At a company I worked at years ago, not my current employer, one of the locators had gone back to the office after hours to copy some paperwork. The door was open and apparently everyone had gone home and left the front door open. As he walked down the hall the DM's office door opened and the DM walked out pulling on his pants, a female office worker was behind him.

He never said anything but a cushy job with a pay raise was created for him. Real cushy, no real work to do.

Oh yes, he could not remember the exact date when he spoke of it a couple of years later but the date may have been a major factor. Near as I could tell the young lady was 17 when she started work at the firm.

A do nothing job and a raise, silence really is golden.

That DM left that firm some years later and I do keep a loose watch on him. He was taken into custody by the State Police and extradited to another state last year on a Fugitive From Justice warrant.
    Did he work for a "shade tree" company? Just curious...

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by digger1214 View Post
    Did he work for a "shade tree" company? Just curious...
    While I am unaware of what you mean by a "shade tree" company I can say he worked for a shady company.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    While I am unaware of what you mean by a "shade tree" company I can say he worked for a shady company.
    Well if I wanted some shade in my yard I might perhaps consider and Elm tree.

Years of Experience

Digger, When were you fired from ELM??

Years of Experience

You did nothing wrong, you should feel good!

Years of Experience

good luck with your new job dude !!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by digger1214 View Post
    Well if I wanted some shade in my yard I might perhaps consider and Elm tree.
    I absolutely was not fired from them. I promise I have never worked for them. I do however know someone who worked in Iowa that walked in on the similar situation. I was just curious if it was the same.