Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mke

Thread: Unexperienced person here who has been trying to get into locating.

Default Unexperienced person here who has been trying to get into locating.

Hey,

I'm from NC and I've honestly been trying to get into locating for the last year and a half.

My question to you is, how did you get into the field, and what do you recommend I do to increase my chances of breaking into it?

It's been a real struggle, but it's something that I'm very interested in and I feel like I'd be pretty good at.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Unexperienced person here who has been trying to get into locating.

1st... welcome to the page.

2nd... Be persistent. Just know that a clean driving record is a must and is typically a deal breaker.

Who are you trying to get on with?
    superman likes this.

Years of Experience
    a few

I don't know where you have been applying but besides the 811 call center places you can try any of the S.U.E companies because they are only getting busier and busier! And also private locate companies because both of those like to hire people with no experience so that they do not have to retrain you to their way of doing things. You bug them and bug them saying your dependable and just plain WANT to locate and you will get a job maybe a real good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    1st... welcome to the page.

2nd... Be persistent. Just know that a clean driving record is a must and is typically a deal breaker.

Who are you trying to get on with?
    1. Luckily all I have is a seat belt infraction from two years ago on my record.

2. I'm currently trying to get on with USIC, they're very prominent in my area.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by SirCorbit View Post
    1. Luckily all I have is a seat belt infraction from two years ago on my record.

2. I'm currently trying to get on with USIC, they're very prominent in my area.
    Unknown quantities are a gamble for HR. They can't tell if you are worth the training until they spend the money. They'd almost always rather go with someone they know something about.

You gotta get past the on-line filters. Catch a field tech and ask for the area or regional mangers number. Call it, introduce yourself, and ask if you can send your resume to their personal e-mail. Ask them to forward it to other managers who might have open positions.

Find out where the regional office is (might be a long drive) and try a walk in. Anything that puts a face or something personal to your resume, otherwise, you are just one among hundreds of unknowns.
    Last edited by daman1; March 9th, 2017 at 11:31 AM.

Years of Experience

I agree with Daman . you will get hired sooner or later if your mvr comes out good enough. Good Luck and welcome to the VINE !!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato