Thread: Training

Default Training

Where did you get your training? Was it on the job or did you attend one of the courses offered by ACES or similar. I know one company offers training when you buy there machine but I wouldn't expect that to be a well rounded education in the locating trade.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts. I very much appreciate everyone's time on my newbie questions.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Training

uhhh, school of hard knocks.

No training except for that first 4weeks of Ride along and painting. For sewer inspection I was trained for about....... a half hour. For fault finding I was told to watch one guy for a half hour then was supposed to pick it up. When you buy a GSSI GPR you get a week of training at their facility on the east coast.

mke

Years of Experience

Step one: Here is your locator.
    Step two: Here is your keys and S-10.
    Step three: Follow this guy around for a while and play Box Bit@%
    Step Four: Here is a stack of tickets for you, have fun.

3 years later, after I learned on my own by researching everything I could, take an in house class to get a card that says I could do what I had already been doing for 3 years.

Is there a better way? (Asked with as much sarcasm as I can type with)

Wish I could help more... I can only hope the locators today were trained better than when I started.
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

Years of Experience

Utiliquest trained me.......pretty much like GP up there!!!!! hahahha that was a good one dude!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    Utiliquest trained me.......pretty much like GP up there!!!!! hahahha that was a good one dude!!!
    Thanks Yahoo. I thought some of the guys probably were on the same program. You and I were probably in the same office briefly a few years back, depending on how long you have been there.
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I worked behnd a vac-ex truck for the first three months. After that, I was a box bitch for three months. Then I was a survey rodman/instrument man for three months. After that I did a combination of all four things depending where the company wanted me. I learned everything by asking questions, listening to answers, observing, trying, making mistakes and learning from them, and practice. And then more practice. 15 years later, I'm still learning.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

We go through a 5 year apprenticeship. Only then, do go solo.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by UNIONLOCATOR View Post
    We go through a 5 year apprenticeship. Only then, do go solo.
    ROTFL I was solo the 2nd week. Ten months of floating between top locators areas and then thrown out to sink or swim. Then moved every 6 months to harder areas.

Classes always came long after I had learned what they wanted me to learn. Now they have it set as classes in conjunction with field as it should be.

I can't imagine being baby sat for 5 years though. THAT is messed up, and a waste of time and money.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

hmmmm, I had to go solo after 4 weeks, cause my trainer was going on vacation. Weather I was ready or not, I was going to be on my own. Fortunately I was good to go by the 4th week. Then got the "your in a low damage area, we are going to put you in a high damage area" speech. Then miracles happened, the high damage area went down and the low damage area went up........ miricles i tell you.

He probably isn't just a "locator". Although, he probably was the one locating while the one overseeing him just watched and talked to whoever near by.

mke

Banned
    Years of Experience

Default best dissertation writing services

I search many frm about the education but did not get many specific detail about the this topic but your pots have allot of information about my topic which I always searching.
    dissertation writing services