Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Are There any Utility Company Employee Locators Anymore?

Default Are There any Utility Company Employee Locators Anymore?

New to the site and have to wonder. Has everyone but the transmission pipeline operators gone to contract?

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Are There any Utility Company Employee Locators Anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranch Hand View Post
    New to the site and have to wonder. Has everyone but the transmission pipeline operators gone to contract?
    There are bound to be some here or there, just not that many.

There are a number of towns, cities, counties and states that mark their own plant. Many large school campuses and such mark their own.

Years of Experience

soon enough ....they also will be contracted out !
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    soon enough ....they also will be contracted out !
    I fear you are right, because these are often plum jobs! Many get every holiday off and the pressure is on doing it right, not just racking up numbers.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I'm "in house". Being contracted out is always a big worry. The only upside is that not many contract companies can provide the coverage and the services we can.

Not Being egotistical, just being honest.

Mke
    UULC, The Big-E and yahoo like this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    I'm "in house". Being contracted out is always a big worry. The only upside is that not many contract companies can provide the coverage and the services we can.

Mke
    The inhouse locators exist to protect the plant, locate firms exist to make a profit.
    UULC and yahoo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    The inhouse locators exist to protect the plant, locate firms exist to make a profit.
    You are right, but without the utility operators constant quest to reduce expenses, the contract firms would not exist to the extent that they do today. It is the whole chicken and egg argument...
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

Mke
    The inhouse locators I see dont provide much service or coverage. Nothing against you Mke, but they get a drop ticket or landscaping and just clear out the ticket because they say their only digging 1 foot. With the disipline that some contract companies hand out, I can't and will not do that. I'm marking it if it say's 2 inches or 20 feet.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I hear you. I see it day in and day out here as well. The city Sewer locator just called me the other day to ask if they had any utilities in an area by our facility. They have gotten to a point where they only come out when I let them know they have stuff in the way. Its difficult to pigeon hole any locator due to his position. Some In house situations are like mine and quality and responsibility is way high. There there are some in house positions where the quaility is poor due to the lack of responsibility.

Its difficult to get any results when there is no accountability. Where I'm at, there is accountability. The great part is that most One-call locators think that I don't do crap and that my job is "easy", solely because I may do 2 tickets a day. Maybe as much as 10. Either way, they don't feel this is a difficult job. I however just hired a 12yr locator who has only done one-calls and he is having issues keeping up with this rigorous pace (sp?).

Either way, I wouldn't turn down an "in house" job just because they have lack luster performance.......... typically they pay better.

mke

Years of Experience

that was a really good question !!! Thanks ! This has really got me to thinking .......
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

I hear you. I see it day in and day out here as well. The city Sewer locator just called me the other day to ask if they had any utilities in an area by our facility. They have gotten to a point where they only come out when I let them know they have stuff in the way. Its difficult to pigeon hole any locator due to his position. Some In house situations are like mine and quality and responsibility is way high. There there are some in house positions where the quaility is poor due to the lack of responsibility.

Its difficult to get any results when there is no accountability. Where I'm at, there is accountability. The great part is that most One-call locators think that I don't do crap and that my job is "easy", solely because I may do 2 tickets a day. Maybe as much as 10. Either way, they don't feel this is a difficult job. I however just hired a 12yr locator who has only done one-calls and he is having issues keeping up with this rigorous pace (sp?).

Either way, I wouldn't turn down an "in house" job just because they have lack luster performance.......... typically they pay better.

mke
    I have 2 utilities around my area that we used to have and they have went back in house in the last few years. One of them (New Wave) only goes to about 10% of the tickets. They say it's cheaper for them to take a chance then send somebody to every locate. The other, a local gas co. still calls me for info about thier own plant. New Wave keeps me busy with drop tickets. LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    I have 2 utilities around my area that we used to have and they have went back in house in the last few years. One of them (New Wave) only goes to about 10% of the tickets. They say it's cheaper for them to take a chance then send somebody to every locate. The other, a local gas co. still calls me for info about thier own plant. New Wave keeps me busy with drop tickets. LOL!!!
    if i were you i would tell the gas company if they want any info from you that they should hire you on in house if not tell them to shove a pac service up their pipeline and smoke it.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by fiberlocator99 View Post
    if i were you i would tell the gas company if they want any info from you that they should hire you on in house if not tell them to shove a pac service up their pipeline and smoke it.
    You must live within 25 miles of their office to work with them. I live too far away. I would also lose my 4 1/2 weeks vacation if I change jobs.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Locator99, Its easier said then done. If I had a nickel for every time A company asked either, where their stuff is located or how to get a signal on their utility.

Being a steward of the industry means helping out because its the right thing to do, not because your being paid to do it. This concept is a difficult one to explain, but if you want to further your position, it solely is dependant on who you havn't pissed off, not who you have pissed off.

mke
    superman likes this.

Years of Experience

Locator99, Its easier said then done. If I had a nickel for every time A company asked either, where their stuff is located or how to get a signal on their utility.

Being a steward of the industry means helping out because its the right thing to do, not because your being paid to do it. This concept is a difficult one to explain, but if you want to further your position, it solely is dependant on who you havn't pissed off, not who you have pissed off.
    mke
    Yeah, I'm not out to make enemies, especially with a customer that we used to locate for. I try to avoid any kind of damage to a utility no matter who locates it. I had a ticket today for Vectren and they had called in for 10 West A street. I went there and had seen no marks for the local water co. They are usually at locates before me so I called and they said they had already marked it. I informed them that they had marked the wrong area or something. Turns out the water co. had located at 10 East A street, not 10 West A street. I'm not saying that I'm perfect, but if you piss the wrong people off, it may come back to hurt you when you sqrew up.
    Mke and UULC like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast