Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: starting new job

Question starting new job

i will be starting training class tomorrow at usic. i have heard alot of negative things, and i am a littlle worried now, i do not have any experience with utility locating. is this a good secure job with usic? thanks

Default Re: starting new job

lots have changed in the world of USIC. GPS has changed whole some did or performed their jobs. All I can say is be where you're supposed to be, doing what you're supposed to be doing, and dont think that you cant get caught.

Other than that....Listen while in class so that you can at least get the basics then once in the field find or ask someone to teach you the ropes. Remember read your prints, unbond and actually hookup...did I say read your prints!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paint'n & Flag'n View Post
    GPS has changed whole some did or performed their jobs.

Thats supposed to read

GPS has changed how some did or performed their jobs

yeah i heard of people slacking off, does the gps mean you cannot even stop to use a restroom or anything? i thought they sounded like a decent company to work for, this will all be new to me they did say they work 60 to 70 hours a week right now, and it is a stressful job.

BEst advice I could give you is to look for another job. Contract locating sucks! Working for USIC sucks even more. Take it from a veteran, I'm looking for a way out. Tired of all the BS policies and pay being stripped away. I'm in the seventh circle of hell working for these idiots. Of course this is just my opinion.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Hey Fish, Unfortunately no matter where you work, Locating is very stressfull. If you are someone who gets wound tight, this may not be for you. But if you are looking for a job that will pay you more then minimum wage you got it.

It sounds negative, but most of us started before the GPS and the weird requirements, but since you don't have that baggage you might be able to just slide in and take the locating world by the short hairs, either way, Good Luck.

mke

Fish,

Are you going to school at the KC office? If so, check your private messages and give me a call. I think I can help you out of your stress and worry. Noobs in USIC have a little more lee-way.
    Safety First Or It's The Hearse.

i will be in st.louis, just trying to find some positive input, not only negative. thanks

Years of Experience

good luck on getting some positve input !!!!! good luck with your new job ....and welcome to the site....
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Fish; You had asked if this is a good secure job? Well the one thing you can count on is that the locator is the first under the bus, unless you CYA! Saying that, if you go threw training and grasp the concept of what your doing out there and not get rattled, you can learn to enjoy this type of work. I've worked for CLS in the past and that was nothing but pressure to get tickets done and produce, but all the while DON'T MESS UP!!!!!
    Good Luck!

i just got out of class in usic have been out in the feild for few weeks now, so far i like it, im sure you will too. =)

Years of Experience

You have to remember there are alot of old crabby locators on this site.

An experienced utility locator should always have a job. It is true that all the contract locating companies push production but if you work hard and don't goof around you'll be fine. I've personally never heard of a locator being fired for being slow. I've been with USIC for almost 13 years and really enjoy my job. Yes the micro managing can get annoying but if you just do your job and let everything go in one ear and out the other you'll be fine.

As others have said pay close attention in class and listen very well. It is alot to learn in a short period of time but once you get in the field all the pieces will start falling into place. It normally takes 6 months to a year to really fully understand what you are doing. Until then ask questions when you are having problems.

Years of Experience
    15+

fish all jobs suck!!
    locating is a different job no matter how much gps & all other crap thats watching you the best part of the job is you have no one standing over your shoulder like in a factory

Wag
    Years of Experience

There really has to be some pride in being part of a team. Despite you working alone most all the time, you depend on others to pull their weight. When others call in "sick" it makes everyone struggle to cover your area.

i dropped out of the class, the thought of 70 hour work weeks, on call from friday to friday, when i thought it was going to be once or twice a week, also we had a young 19 year old in class constantly cracking jokes and talking when i am trying to read to myself and study. they also said if i get 4 damages in twelve months, or 2 vehicle accidents at all i would be terminated. it all scared the crap out of me, and when i started looking at their big books for the class i really got intimidated. now i regret giving up so soon, because i literally have been trying for a year to get on with the company. i was mainly worried about passing the test. oh well i screwed this opportunity.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast