Thread: Starting my own business..

Years of Experience

Default Starting my own business..

Hi Everyone! I am just starting my own business after my wife got laid off and we had to move so that she could find work. It's a lot harder than I thought! I am trying to get liablity insurance and now my agent is asking me for a copy of the contract I will ask clients to sign. I have no idea how to put something like that together. Does anyone have a contract template they could share? I am in Orange County, California in case you're worried about competition.

Would be happy to share my experiences with anyone also just starting or thinking about starting their own business.

Thanks!

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Starting my own business..

Hey 1st, Welcome to the board. Do you have a lawyer on board yet? Each state may have different twists of what you can, and cannot do in a Limited liability waiver. But the typical one will state....and i'm paraphrasing on this one "the below signee accepts the company and its counterparts(employees) can not be held liable for any damages occuring to any facilities that are unlocateable, Not represented on any prints provided at the time of the locate, or through the willful neglect of a contractor to dig cautiously.... yadda yadda." I think I have one floating around the house somewhere, but not sure.

May I ask, How much locating experience do you got?

Mke

Definitely either incorporate or set up a LLC Company.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Thanks for the info- my old boss never let me see a contract so i had no idea what was included. I have been locating and mapping over five years for a private locating company.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

sorry 1st call, I just get nervous when people venture out and start up a locating company, Specially if they have never done privates before. The first time your within the fences of a substation or the walls of a refinery shouldn't be the first time doing privates.

Mke

If you going to start your own business make sure you are license and bond. And you will have to put in long hours to get you'r new business off the ground.

Good Luck

Years of Experience

this job is soo precision, i understand what you mean. If i didnt have enough experience i wouldnt decide to start this bussiness. I know how hard to work in refinery. i did lots of job in Chevron Richmond CA refinery and I know how conflict is that. I took 3 days safety training from BAT( bay area training corporation) and I took another 2 days safety training from Chevron PSM only for that refinery. I have done lots of job for power plant and substation too. Due to the Precision of our bussiness we dont give guaranty. We are just trying to reduce to utility damage.

Years of Experience

Thank you
    for some reason this bussiness doesnt require state licence. They are just asking for 2 years experience. You just get city licence. Insurance is a problem usualy insurance companies dont know about this bussiness and they are hesitate cover your company. I tried more than 10 insurance company and only one of them returned me.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

(Insert grammatical poke at 1stCall here)
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    (Insert grammatical poke at 1stCall here)
    He's probably trying to text while he drives, maybe????????
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

LOL! Yeh, I guess you can tell English isn't my first language! I appreciate your help (and patience) though!

Yeah LLC is the best formation of business to go with for locating utilities. We are doing it currently and it's been great, also Premier Utility Services is another big name that has a huge presence in the contract world and they are an LLC (Limited Liability Company).

It means if the company gets sued for some reason and loses, the plaintiffs usually can't go after the personal assets of the owners of the company. However, if fraud is involved, sometimes the judge will 'pierce the corporate veil' and allow the plaintiffs to go after the personal bank accounts or real estate propery of the owners but this usually is only allowed to happen in cases that have massive amounts of fraud perpetrated by the owners.

But you shouldn't have to worry about any of that stuff. Stay honest, stay humble, and stay focused.