Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Mark
  • 2 Post By stinkypinky

Thread: rookie cableviner, rookie locator

Question rookie cableviner, rookie locator

Hello all, first time on here, and 2nd week training for locating. I spent 1 week in class training, and have just finished my first week of OJT (on job training)
    Things are going about, half as smooth as I'd like so far. My "trainer-coach" isn't all that bad. However I don't think his ticket amount in conducive with being able to train me in fine detail. These guys really know what to do, how to do it and get it done in a timely manner. Its been almost all cable-drops thus far. I'm getting the basics down, but one thing I'm still confused about that my coach is insufficient at answering is locating main lines and access points. Do I only worry about these when they're in the extent/print? I understand it will be from the PED's following the services via route to meter/cable box etc. However i'm confused on where to hook up IN the PED. Also its to my understanding that we do not locate from (or using) transformers to locate but only would *possibly* have to locate a utility going to a transformer.. Is this correct? Because i could've sworn I seen a guy hook up to one before. Maybe its just the lack of sleep though. I need to take a breath and gain some composure back, lol. I'm still very fresh but want to be prepared. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

stinkypinky

Years of Experience

Cool 2 in the pink 1 in the stink

Welcome stinky.

One thing that stood out from your post - you from Illinois? You must be a Bears fan? LMFAO !! Haahahaaaa!

From your detailed post it sounds like you will make it. You are asking questions and wanting to learn. You can't learn experience in books, it must be earned by trial and error IMO. Good luck! More helpful folks will be along shortly.

Default Re: 2 in the pink 1 in the stink

Mark, unfortunately I am a Bears fan, however I follow ncaa more. Go Fightin' Irish. Thanks for the words of encouragement though. After some studying, and looking at prints of my own house I am understanding my own question a lot more. However I do believe you bring upon the most important thing I've learned so far and that is I'm really going to learn by trial and error. I unlike many of the other trainees ask questions about what I don't understand instead of just nodding my head pretending like I am ready to go solo at any point in time.

Long live the STINK! lmfao
    Mark and daman1 like this.

Years of Experience

hang in there buddy , give it a few years and you'll be ok .
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by stinkypinky View Post
    Mark, unfortunately I am a Bears fan, however I follow ncaa more. Go Fightin' Irish. Thanks for the words of encouragement though. After some studying, and looking at prints of my own house I am understanding my own question a lot more. However I do believe you bring upon the most important thing I've learned so far and that is I'm really going to learn by trial and error. I unlike many of the other trainees ask questions about what I don't understand instead of just nodding my head pretending like I am ready to go solo at any point in time.

Long live the STINK! lmfao
    I suppose, if you're an ND fan, there's still hope for you. Good luck stinky....