Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By ProfessionalLocator

Thread: Retired

Years of Experience

Default Retired

1st time here. Retired Air Force lineman. Researching HV contact photos where hand tools and shovels were used.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Retired

Thank you for your service! Welcome to the community!

Years of Experience

welcome to the vine !!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Myfootsasmokin View Post
    1st time here. Retired Air Force lineman. Researching HV contact photos where hand tools and shovels were used.
    I find the damages with hand tools is largely the same as power equipment, not paying attention to the marks followed by over confidence.

One I particularly recall was cutting into a 7,600v primary. He was test pitting to find the line and dug right over the marks with a digging bar. He was lucky that all he got was flash burns to his face.

another was a house service by plumbing crew replacing water service. I marked and told them the seconday , 120/240, lines were right next to the cut off box. One guy was hand digging with a shovel clearing the way for the backhoe operator. I was there and said be careful as he was right over the line. He said he was too deep for me to be right and just a few seconds later jumped out of the hole as the kicked the shovel into the secondaries. He just got a shock.

One of the attitudes I have run into is that they are just digging over a secondary and it was "just" 120v. Well 120 volts at 1/10 of an ampere is just right for putting your heart into fibrillation. From an old, old enough to be on a mimeograph, hand out titled 'Low Voltage, High Hazard. 120v is just right to stop a heart. High voltage can cause the heart muscles to lock up and often will restart on it's own when the current goes off. I can also name a coworker who got both hands across a 120v circuit. His heart never stopped but he can no longer close his hands due to the deep tissue burns.

Respect ANY electric line you are digging over.
    Cheddar, nikolas and Wingfoot like this.

Years of Experience

Welcome aboard.

"I find the damages with hand tools is largely the same as power equipment, not paying attention to the marks followed by over confidence.

One I particularly recall was cutting into a 7,600v primary. He was test pitting to find the line and dug right over the marks with a digging bar. He was lucky that all he got was flash burns to his face.

another was a house service by plumbing crew replacing water service. I marked and told them the seconday , 120/240, lines were right next to the cut off box. One guy was hand digging with a shovel clearing the way for the backhoe operator. I was there and said be careful as he was right over the line. He said he was too deep for me to be right and just a few seconds later jumped out of the hole as the kicked the shovel into the secondaries. He just got a shock.

One of the attitudes I have run into is that they are just digging over a secondary and it was "just" 120v. Well 120 volts at 1/10 of an ampere is just right for putting your heart into fibrillation. From an old, old enough to be on a mimeograph, hand out titled 'Low Voltage, High Hazard. 120v is just right to stop a heart. High voltage can cause the heart muscles to lock up and often will restart on it's own when the current goes off. I can also name a coworker who got both hands across a 120v circuit. His heart never stopped but he can no longer close his hands due to the deep tissue burns.

Respect ANY electric line you are digging over."

After 15 years of experience in the electricity company I totally agree my friend.