Thread: Rd400

Default Rd400

Just joined here an another newbie..Anyways, I have a Radiodetection Rd 400 anybody have experience with this machine? I played with it today for about 30 mins but seems a little confusing, especially coming from an 810!
    Any help would be greatly appreceiated.
    Thanks,
    MJ

Years of Experience

Default Re: Rd400

Welcome new guy.

I don't have much experience with the rd400 but the experts will be here soon enough.

Years of Experience

Hey 3fus - Welcome Aboard to the'Vine. We do not have active members here on the forum from “The Golden State.” I was getting the impression that everything in California was aerial and nobody's digging...... Must be no need for locators there! Anyway, here in the Midwest there's been very little digging for the last 7 weeks or more due to ice, snow and freezing cold weather. Brrrrrrrrrrrr!

I'm flying into the Los Angeles area on Feb 16 for the NASCAR race in Fontana and I'll be there for close to a week. Then on to Vegas the following week for the NASCAR and World of Outlaws races there. I'm looking forward to the much warmer weather, watching the California hotties, the smell of spent racing fuel & burning rubber and the roar of open exhaust competition for those 2 weeks!

I'm using the RD4000 now but I used the RD400 for 12+ years. On the 1-watt RD400 transmitter, I still use f1 (LF512) on clustered phone cables that tone well that I have to be "nuts on" accurate. I use f2 (frequency 8) on 90% of my work; electricity, telephone, CATV & gas services. I reserve the f3 (frequency 33 or frequency 65) on the stubborn facility that lays separately from other utilities. f3 is powerful enough for bleed off to shallow-buried utilities very easily. Primarily I use f3 for my gas and water main locates.

Locate in peak mode and verify in null. Peak mode in the RD uses 2 internal antennas and for null the RD uses 1 antenna. If you have to trust one of these modes, put your trust in the peak mode.

The key for accurate locating with an RD receiver, as with any piece of equipment, keep the gain low! This is a must!

Thanks for joining our fraternity here at the'Vine. Please post often. I'd like to know more of what's going on out west.

------------------------------------------------

Hey Wing,

Thanks for the great info, I messed with it today and got a little more familiar with it. Having used the 810 for the past 4 years I was used to the digital read out or numerical number. But I will take your advice and keep you in the loop. In certain areas they have been putting electric, cable and everthing else they can think of underground. It's becoming a pain the ass, but I have to work because I like to eat so there you have it. Weather wise it has been nice and in the 70's. I hope you have fun at the races and in vegas. Drink a few beers for me!!!

Years of Experience

welcome to the vine !!!! post often
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato