Thread: Private locator from Nashville Tn

Cool Private locator from Nashville Tn

What up locators. Does anyone use the vloc pro 2...

Years experience with 810...

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Private locator from Nashville Tn

Quote Originally Posted by BorkMan View Post
    What up locators. Does anyone use the vloc pro 2...

Years experience with 810...
    When the ViVax Volc Pro works it works very well. But durability is not it's strong suit. We have a heck of a time keeping the front line locators equipped as these spend a lot of time in the shop. If you are making light use it may work well for you. Lot's of heavy use you will need a good backup and a budget that allows repairs.

They shopped this out overseas to be made and they are manufactured in China. Overall may industries have found quality control poor over there and many things are not built to specs.

I like the machine and have had mostly good results, just wish they had built it tougher.

Years of Experience

Welcome to thevcablevine! 810 is the savior over here - never used the vloc pro 2 - out of curiosity, would you rate it better then the 810 (obviously not as far as durability) but how would you compare it?

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by jdixon485 View Post
    Welcome to thevcablevine! 810 is the savior over here - never used the vloc pro 2 - out of curiosity, would you rate it better then the 810 (obviously not as far as durability) but how would you compare it?
    In a way it is like comparing apples and oranges.

I have heard the 810 called the "dumb stick" becasue at it's frequency it bleeds over onto everything and that receiver picks it all up. I then proceeded to remark the locate that person had done and showed him the CATV mains he had missed.

For the beginner the 810 is frustrating because they pickup everything. But in the hands of an experienced locator it is a fine instrument capable of pinpoint marking.

The VLoc is has multiple frequencies to choose from and the receiver is very good at shutting out bleed off on other utilities. The inexperienced locator gets a false sense of security from this as they need to sweep more thoroughly than they realize. The output on the transformer has a default setting but you can raise it higher manually. The receiver has an adjustable gain. The 810 has no output adjustment on it's transmitter and no gain adjustment on it's receiver. With the VLoc get the wrong output and gain settings and your sweep will miss finding the utility unlike the 810 which just reads everything.

The ability to push up the output gives a much better ability to locate deep utilit4es. The VLoc works just fine at 20 feet or more, push the output up, while at this depth the 810 often does not read it at all.

With the VLoc where you have multiple services, sometimes mains also, you have to hook up to each individual service to get a reliable reading. The 810 reads everything and when this is done by an experienced locator everything gets marked right. The VLoc can take more time to get some individual jobs done. The VLoc does not do well when hooked to multiple services like phone services.

The VLoc does have the advantage of a 60 cycle sweep mode which is good for an extra sweep of the area, often picks up what a miss set gain missed.

The Vloc receiver with the electronic marker is heavy, 6.6 pounds, the 810 receiver is practically a feather.

I like having both available. Between the two I would choose an 810. Better chance of the thing not breaking down.

The vloc pro 2 is supposedly much lighter.... when i go in the field, i locate every utility. I love the bleed! The reason i am considering the vloc pro 2 because of the ability to find that deep stuff. Also, the use of different frequencies. A good example, a switchyard with grounding, conduit, duct runs, water mains, drainage, and fuel oil lines all buried together in a nice football field sized area. Basically, highly congested areas. I am looking for a device that could help more accurately and easily locate each individual piece of infrastructure i have to find.

I have never used the vloc pro 2. Have been using the 810 for years. Even though i gave a lot of faith in the 810 i large plants (ie powerplants, chemical plants, large college campuses, etc), i find myself spend a lot of time find the best way to set up to find that utility. Buried below others that are buried at a lower elevation.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by BorkMan View Post
    The vloc pro 2 is supposedly much lighter.... when i go in the field, i locate every utility. I love the bleed! The reason i am considering the vloc pro 2 because of the ability to find that deep stuff. Also, the use of different frequencies. A good example, a switchyard with grounding, conduit, duct runs, water mains, drainage, and fuel oil lines all buried together in a nice football field sized area. Basically, highly congested areas. I am looking for a device that could help more accurately and easily locate each individual piece of infrastructure i have to find.
    The VlocPro2 isn't noticeably lighter, I recently upgraded. It does do a slightly better job of separating heavily congested areas like plants and substations than the RD8000 in our tests.

We also use the 810 and 850 regularly. We have a few pipehorn's and RD5000's too, but trying to get everyone to give anything other than metrotech a fair shake is difficult.

Years of Experience

Welcome to the Vine!

We could use some good private locators here in Colorado, ever think of branching out?

I'm tired of the private locators here miss-locating so many things. It frustrates the contractors.

If they would pay my drive time lol