Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: "And our newest member to the forum is.... Outlaw Locater!" *crowd applauds*

Years of Experience

Default "And our newest member to the forum is.... Outlaw Locater!" *crowd applauds*

Hi there locate community,

I'm new to the site and new-ish to locating in general. I was a locater for about 2 months (excluding training) last summer in a almost "summer job" type situation. After returning home from college I dabbled in the post-college job market/interview scene only to realize post college paying jobs are hard to come by for people with out engineering or accounting degrees. Now I'm back with my public locate company and I thought I'd officially hop on this forum.

I first found this site about a year while googling something locate related. I think its cool a site/forum exist. As an avid internet junkie and locater by profession this combines two of the things most relevant to my life. To give you some background on me I'm a 22 year-old from a suburb bordering Boston. I locate about 15 miles south of the city in an area which spans across five towns which are kind of rural but suburban at the same time. I work for a public locate company contracted for the electric and communication lines in those five towns.

I look forward to posting with you guys,

-the new guy
    daman1, Mark and yahoo like this.

Years of Experience
    30+

Default Re: "And our newest member to the forum is.... Outlaw Locater!" *crowd applauds*

Outlaw please let me be the first to welcome you to the Vine. If you have been around you know what we are about. Ask away.

Years of Experience

Default Re: "And our newest member to the forum is.... Outlaw Locater!" *crowd applauds*

I've actually only been on the site like 3 times. I never joined because I thought locating was just something I would be doing for just the summer at the time. I will ask away though. Part of the reason I created an account was to post/poll. My locating is 99.95% individual so I've got a lot of questions about industrywide standards and how others do things..

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw Locater View Post
    Hi there locate community,

I'm new to the site and new-ish to locating in general. I was a locater for about 2 months (excluding training) last summer in a almost "summer job" type situation. After returning home from college I dabbled in the post-college job market/interview scene only to realize post college paying jobs are hard to come by for people with out engineering or accounting degrees. Now I'm back with my public locate company and I thought I'd officially hop on this forum.

I first found this site about a year while googling something locate related. I think its cool a site/forum exist. As an avid internet junkie and locater by profession this combines two of the things most relevant to my life. To give you some background on me I'm a 22 year-old from a suburb bordering Boston. I locate about 15 miles south of the city in an area which spans across five towns which are kind of rural but suburban at the same time. I work for a public locate company contracted for the electric and communication lines in those five towns.

I look forward to posting with you guys,

-the new guy
    sounds about right, considering he can not even spell the word(job title) LOCATOR correctly

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Welcome outlaw.

As you noticed continuing our education is difficult at best due to workload and oncall demands. Schedule your heaviest course load during Winter.

Keep your nose clean, and you boots painted, and depending on which firm your work for that college degree can mean rapid advancement. Some firms, Utiliquest as example, hire a college grad and groom them for management. They are slotted from day one to be a manager of a locate office. They come in and spend a couple of months locating. Then they are in a support position for the area manager or general foreman. In a few years they advance to second in command and then an office of their own. They really don't know their a$$ from a hole in the ground but the people who promote them came up the same way and value them more than one with experience and real capability.

the problem you may have is working for too long as a locator. Too long in that position and you will be considered corrupted by locator thinking. Still there are firms that will promote you after a few years as a locator but there are some that will not, you have to figure out what kind of firm you are working for.

There are some managers who prefer to hire a fully green guy (I was busing tables last week until they fired me for pissing in the soup) over an experienced locator. They prefer to train people from scratch because experienced locators have "bad ideas of how to do this work".

Years of Experience
    30+

Well said ProLo.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the Show Outlaw. Ask away, we'll get you answers.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

Welcome to the show Outlaw.

Years of Experience

Thanks for the positive feedback people, I like the in-depthness ProLo.

PS - I see you FiberLocater99! Way to put me on blast like that on a first post ever to the site.
    UULC and Wingfoot like this.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

PS - I see you FiberLocater99! Way to put me on blast like that on a first post ever to the site.
    I was thinking the same thing. Friend of yours?
    UULC likes this.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

Welcome and post often!

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Welcome aboard OL.

To expand on what ProLo said about locating too long. If you find yourself not advancing because you have been a locator for too long you can easily put an end to it. Screw up something terrible. You now have the go ahead to be promoted. It's kinda like being put in the friend zone by a woman. You cannot get out of it unless you do something completely wrong in which you will jolt the woman out of her "friend zone" issue. What that is is still a mystery but you get the point.

There is also the danger of getting fired or in the "friend zone" scenario you might get dumped (for lack of a more appropriate term) altogether without ever getting a chance to advance if you know what I mean.
    Wingfoot likes this.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

I speak with the might and wisdom of expiriance. Or to put it short I am freaking old.
    Nb22x, UULC and Wingfoot like this.

Years of Experience

Wow, just saw that. What a dink he is, lol. Almost everyone here will welcome you into this community Outlaw, and you are certainly welcome here. When you introduce yourself and say hi, and some spelling nazi/meathead instantly bitches - that says something about said dink.

Look into the ignore function that the forum has.

Again, welcome aboard.

Years of Experience

Welcome you FNG.
    Don't let these crazy guys scare you away!

Any questions just ask us, and if we feel like it we might be somewhat helpful.

: )
    Homeowner - "They still bury lines in the ground?
    I thought they didn't do that anymore!"
    Me - "Yes sir they do."
    Homeowner - "My gas line is not over there"
    Me - "Yes it is."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast