Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not so new

Default Re: Not so new

I have a good supervisor but I now use e-mail for important notifications to him, with a copy back to myself which I keep until that particulat job is done. I also e-mail contractors when they have given their e-mail addresses. Just covering my butt.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience
    30+

When I was a USIC sup I took two damages that were not on the print. They were both on the Verizon FioS Project. Both damages were by two different veteran DPS's. Even when I did the investigation I had the same signal. The VZ prints were WRONG, imagine that. But I would be damned if I was going to let the DPS take an AF damage even when I got the same tone. All of us had connected to a cross box, a riser, several businesses and air stakes.

So these sup's whoever you work for should that your good DPS's and try to protect them.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by mmm_paint View Post
    Do any supervisor groups actually look at how many companies tickets you get done rather than just tickets done...what I mean by this is that my numbers are compared to guys in my crew and my jobs are 4 and 5 ways where most of theirs are 2 and 3 ways....When they adjust my Quota I always get 2 to 3 tickets per eight higher than these other guys...

It's just odd to me to because I have gone my first year damage free and the guys that only do 2 or 3 ways I know we have guys that have had 2 to 4 damages in less than 6 months...
    When i was at SM&P (the year before they became USIC) they would look at both. The first half i was doing 2 ways then they picked up CoServe and i started doing 4 ways. I was in a sweet area with the housing boom at the time and was knocking tickets out left and right because so many were undeveloped housing lots and new utilities than ran signal like a dream. I was always #1 (maybe #2) of the group when just factoring whole tickets worked, but when they looked at actual company/units billed i for sure was smoking everybody.

I had 1 damage (which SM&P fought for 2 weeks before deciding is was cheaper to pay than go to court). Other guys, even ones in 1 way areas just doing cable out in the country, where getting several damages.

I guess i'll comment on Loc8this's original post about bashing USIC. All i can say is SM&P (no cam/gps) before them was great. I was never bothered I did my work and when i saw my sup. he thanked me for it (didn't hurt they gave bonuses at the time). At UQ I got the whole camera/GPS treatment which at first i was fine with it. The GPS i didn't care about (if you're gonna complain about somewhere i drove to, then i'll give the reason why i had to go there plain and simple) the end of the day i'm still doing more than every other tech and no damages. But when i have higher ups complaining they have me on video eating my slim jim at a stop sign!...i just don't need that kind of micro managment and it starts to feel like a thankless job when you are protecting peoples lives.

I, personally, also see the whole GPS/camera thing as.... If the company is hiring people that need to be watched all day with GPS/cam...then they probably shouldn't hire those kind of people anyways. It's probably a bit of a self fulfilling thing also. They put the cams in there and think they can hire anybody because they'll catch them. Well they hire almost anyone that walks through that have never had that kind of working solo in the field responsibility and low and behold they catch them doing something, meanwhile the more tenured think "i've done my dues and my job don't i deserve more respect", and thus get angry.

As steve said you work to make your paycheck trading work for wages. That work is their business, so the least they could do is not make it harder and more stressful all the time, which would actually help their business.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12