Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie here with some equipment questions

Default Re: Newbie here with some equipment questions

Discussion about RD 8000

And another

Little talk about Vivax

Hope this helps.

Oh.. found all this within the vine with the search function.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SLNGDawgFan View Post
    so i am thinking about sending out the 810 to get "tweaked". In the meantime, I have narrowed my new purchase down to a radiodetection 8000 and a vivax v-lok locator.

Anyone have any real field experience with these, positive or negative or are there any other opinions about these???? thanks guys...this site has been a tremendous help, I showed my manager this thread and he was very impressed that I was trying to get the best info possible before we made a decision.

Thanks again guys
    Patrick Spivey
    Southern LNG, an El Paso Company
    When you send the 810 to be "tweaked" their term will be calibration.
    Many firms put a sticker on the equipment with a date for when to calibrate it next. These vary from 1 to 2 years. If the 810 is used daily and for long periods I want mine calibrated one a year at a minimum.

You wrote that you have some plastic lines taped off the main which is also plastic. That the main was put in with tracer wire but you cannot find wire with the service taps. Try the induction mode and if the tracer is buried with the service taps, though not brought tot he surface on either end, you may still be able to find it.

If you know the rough location of the tap start by placing the 810 transmitter to what we will call left of suspected location. What you are going to do is move the transmitter to the right in three foot increments. Between moving the transmitter you will go out towards where the tap is supped to run to and sweep with the receiver. Repeat until you get a good signal.

How I explained it above is to clearly illustrate the technique. If you know where the service tap comes up or into a structure start there. You are much more likely to get the transmitter over the pipe quickly from this location.

The procedure with the 810 for this induction method is to first get the signal. Then take the transmitter and put it over the spot you got the signal. Now go back to the point where you got the transmitter from and find the signal there and mark the spot. Now take the transmitter that last spot you marked and then check that first spot you marked. This procedure is a little redundant but dos insure you are over whatever you are getting that signal on.

If you have an assistant there is a process that may do the same thing only quicker. Have you assistant hold the transmitter a couple of inches above the ground. You get back from them and you both walk, oh say to your right. You keep parallel to your assistant and if they pass the transmitter over a utility you will pick it up. This works if the utility is in a straight run but if it is off to an angle the transmitter may be passing over the utility while you and the transmitter are several feet away. Even if you find it this way you will do the back and fourth confirming method I previously described.

One other thing is to get back further from you transmitter than if you wer using the induction clamp. That transmitter in induction mode radiates more signal than if the clamp is used. I try to get back a good thirty feet.

On another note I had a guy I went to school with named Spivey. Old Norman was a fun guy, he was up for most anything. He kept a baby cottonmouth in a mayonnaise jar. That is until he kept messing with it and it bit him. He also managed to shoot himself through the foot with the Whitlock twins father's .22 rifle. Last I heard he was in the county jail for shoplifting an eight track tape.

Thanks for the good info ProLocator. I feel like their is so much info out there I don't know how to filter it all. I think I will be in good shape with the RD or the Vivax, they seem like very comparable units and I am kinda getting a fresh start with new equipment, so I am not really sold on one unit or the other. I just know that I want to make the right decision, and I know that it really comes down to feeling comfortable with the vendor and the support I will get from them and the manufacturer. Training is also a big point because we are looking to get some in depth training for myself and train a couple of more guys to be able to locate as well.

Thanks again, this site has been priceless in my research.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

uhhhh.... "tweaking" and calibration is two different things. the 810's come straight from the factory calibrated. You should get your equipment calibrated anytime you start to see any discrepencies with signal strength or signal location. If you treat your equipment good, you could go a while without calibration........i'm actually going on......err 2yrs. I however have the chance to see construction crews dig on my paint, and can see that she's still calibrated.

I wish I knew what "tweaking" incorperated, but I don't. I can tell you that I have used a 810 straight from the factory and it worked the way it was designed to. However, it did not preform up to company's standards. We sent said machine into a shop, when we got it back (yes with same serial numbers) it worked to our satisfaction. Most of the tests we ran had to deal with signal strength. Single utility for distance, and an induction test to check for bleed off on to other utilities.

Here comes the funny part, even though the 810's look alike, they have changed the insides over the years, and the newer ones are becoming harder and harder to "tweak"

However, if you got an older one, they tend to be a little more acceptable to this technique. go figure

Good luck with the PVC water. As for the induction of the water lines..... as long as there is enough conductive material in the ground your equipment should be able to pick it up. I wouldn't hold your breath. What I would do though, is to work with your maintenance, and engineers and see what you can do to help prevent putting unlocateable facilities in the ground. We have Spec's that call out what type of tracerwire, and how to position it above the utility. With Maintenance, you might be able to get those guys to drop a marker ball ontop of unlocateable utilities and the RD8000 should be able to locate those balls........ I believe.

just an idea.

mke

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    uhhhh.... "tweaking" and calibration is two different things. the 810's come straight from the factory calibrated. You should get your equipment calibrated anytime you start to see any discrepencies with signal strength or signal location. If you treat your equipment good, you could go a while without calibration........i'm actually going on......err 2yrs. I however have the chance to see construction crews dig on my paint, and can see that she's still calibrated.

I wish I knew what "tweaking" incorperated, but I don't. I can tell you that I have used a 810 straight from the factory and it worked the way it was designed to. However, it did not preform up to company's standards. We sent said machine into a shop, when we got it back (yes with same serial numbers) it worked to our satisfaction. Most of the tests we ran had to deal with signal strength. Single utility for distance, and an induction test to check for bleed off on to other utilities.

Here comes the funny part, even though the 810's look alike, they have changed the insides over the years, and the newer ones are becoming harder and harder to "tweak"

However, if you got an older one, they tend to be a little more acceptable to this technique. go figure

Good luck with the PVC water. As for the induction of the water lines..... as long as there is enough conductive material in the ground your equipment should be able to pick it up. I wouldn't hold your breath. What I would do though, is to work with your maintenance, and engineers and see what you can do to help prevent putting unlocateable facilities in the ground. We have Spec's that call out what type of tracerwire, and how to position it above the utility. With Maintenance, you might be able to get those guys to drop a marker ball ontop of unlocateable utilities and the RD8000 should be able to locate those balls........ I believe.

just an idea.

mke
    Tweaking an 810: There is a calibration/gain screw in the 810 reciever that a couple of our guys can use to "tweak" thier machine. works on all 810's but not 810dx. I've never done it, but I know someone who does for each 810 he has.

The Rd8000 and rd7000 do not have an electronic marker system. The rd4000 does if you get the pdl or pxl, as well as the i5000 metromark and the Vivax.

The vivax will locate and search for electronic markers at the same time, which no other machine we've tried will do. Another bonus is the simultaneous peak and null with constant depth, talk about easy to understand.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post

just an idea.

mke
    I have used an 810 in induction mode on plastic gas lines where the tracer wire was either not brought up or broken. It works well most of the time especially with a long length of tracer wire.

Some old installations have a metalized tape placed over the utility rather than tracer wire. They are two or three inches wide and read Water, Gas, etc. buried below. These tend to deteriorate and where they do come up above the ground a direct connection does not always work. The 810 will induce a signal on many of these but severely deteriorated ones are often unlocatable.

For the metalized tape the old Pipehorn often works but I only recommend it in the case where the locator has a lot of experience with it. I held the receiver in my left hand, over my 810 in my right hand, and had a set of calluses that perfectly matched the Pipehorn.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Gas companies tend to use beefy tracer wires. 10guage or so. Some contractors try 18guage, and these tend to be crap. My comment was if there was enough stuff to locate, induction will work. but depending on the unknowable, who knows....

mke

Please check out Rycom Instruments, Inc.

I was a locator and now work for Rycom. I used a Rycom machine in the field every day for about 7 years. It is very affordable, user-friendly, and accurate. Also, it is made in the USA.

Good luck to you and all fellow locators!

Travis Leintz
    Rycom Instruments, Inc.
    602-690-2997

So after much mulling and debating as to which unit to go with (between the Vivax V lok pro and the RD 8000) we settled on a winner.

My company ended up choosing (with much influence, okay, with all influence from me and the advice I got on here) to go with the radiodetection 8000 and we decided to keep our MetroTech 810. I actually got the vendor to take my 810 in for repair and calibration for FREE....so I will keep a good ol trusty metrotech and will have a brand new RD 8000.

Now.....anyone have any good advice on any additional training...I heard about Staking University (i think that is right) and some other places...I just have not been locating very long and since I am the primary guy that has started locating, I wanna do it right and I wanna be good at it. Thats just the way I am.

Any suggestions or feedback would be great!!!!

I've been locating tel, catv, electric, and gas with an old RD400 for 10 years and have never had a damage due to it being mis-marked. I guess having multiple pieces of equipment might come in handy in some cases, but I have never had the luxury.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SLNGDawgFan View Post
    I have narrowed my new purchase down to a radiodetection 8000 and a vivax v-lok locator.

Anyone have any real field experience with these, positive or negative or are there any other opinions about these???? This site has been a tremendous help.

Thanks guys
    Patrick Spivey
    Southern LNG, an El Paso Company

Go with the RD 8000. It's a fantastic piece of equipment and the wave of the future.........

------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    I've been locating tel, catv, electric, and gas with an old RD400 for 10 years and have never had a damage due to it being mis-marked.
    Spray - I used my RD400 for 12+ years and also never had a damage due to it being mis-marked.

I just got introduced to the RD4000 receiver. The RD4000 receiver is a wee bit heavier than the RD400 receiver; but Oh Man! I get goosebumps talking about my RD4000! It's that good! Everything is better with the RD4000....

RD4000 Receiver

My lighter weight 1-watt RD400 transmitter still goes everywhere with me. I use the heavier RD4000 3-watt for coupling and for running one line out and a second frequency for another line back.

My buddy, who had 14yrs of RD400 usage without a damage due to it being mis-marked, got a RD4000 a couple years ago and loved it. 2 weeks ago, he got a new RD8000 and I got his RD4000. We're both very happy with the upgrades.

My buddy sez the RD 8000 receiver is lighter with more options than the RD4000.

Spray - Trust me. You just gotta try the newer RD receivers, just for 1 day to realize what you got in your left hand, and you too will be a born again convert.

----------------------------------------------------------

I was in another area helping a fellow locator out last week, and had a 1 1/4" plastic gas main that I could not get to run. I use the RD4000. I called the individual who typically works the area to come by and sneak a peek at what I had. He hooked his RD8000 up and handed me the receiver. With 1 hook-up point I could locate all 10 mains in the 3 block radius that originally I used 6 dfferent hook-up points. The RD8000 is a locating king. I haven't seen anything with so many different frequencies for troubleshooting, but it was great and it found that main.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

as the old saying goes...... "its not the equipment your handleing, its how you handle the equipment".

The RD 8k is a great piece of equipment, but its the experience that pulls you though a locate like that.

Mke

Spray - Trust me. You just gotta try the newer RD receivers, just for 1 day to realize what you got in your left hand, and you too will be a born again convert.

----------------------------------------------------------
    [/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Wing, I have a 1st edition RD4000 receiver and I pull it out every now and then but have not really noticed much difference between it and my 400 - except in Power Mode which I never, never use!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast