Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By yahoo
  • 1 Post By Xray
  • 2 Post By ProfessionalLocator

Thread: Newbie

Years of Experience

Default Newbie

My name is Ray and I am located in the Tri-Cities TN area.
    I located this forum a few weeks ago. I am not a locator yet, but I am trying!
    I am trying to get hired with USIC. I replied 2 weeks ago and my application has been received and supposedly passed along to a manager in my area.
    The job post was for Washington County and Sullivan County TN. So far I have not heard anything back other than the application being forwarded to area manager.
    I did speak with a USIC locator working in Washington County TN yesterday. He said they need help badly but did not know who is doing interviews.
    I am really interested in this position.
    Anyone working in this area that can steer me in the right direction??
    Thanks and hopefully look forward to joining the ranks soon!

Years of Experience

Default Re: Newbie

just keep applying to their website until they hire you . Good Luck bud ! I hope it works out for you.
    TheCableVine likes this.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Good luck on the job pursuit. Locating is fun and challenging... very challenging. You'll like it.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

The website will only let you apply once. Still waiting to here something.

Years of Experience

there are several different things that will basically get your app or resume thrown away . dwi for instance will put your app at the bottom of the list to get hired . being a sex offender still on parole will probably not help you either . I am assuming you have a good APP to get hired with a company like this ??????
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

yahoo,
    Thanks for your replies.
    No arrest record, no DUI's!.
    Confined space entry trained, 30 hr OSHA training, construction background.
    I prefer to work outdoors, I really believe this position would be a very good fit for me. I sent a follow-up email yesterday. Maybe that will help.
    Thanks again.
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

well , the only thing left I would think is that you are not connecting with the right person that would put you to work ......that part can be tricky. winter time is soon upon us and the work load is starting already to ease down a bit , meaning that it is going to be harder to get hired on . It would be good to know the sup for that area that is hiring and that would help somewhat , at least he could tell you that they would not hire you for whatever reason. at this point ....saying a prayer would help . good luck bud !

Years of Experience

That's what I was thinking also, if I could just find out the supervisors in my area.
    The ad did say they were interviewing now.
    I really don't know what else to do short of calling the headquarters number and trying to speak with HR?
    I was hoping someone in my area would see this post and be able to help.
    Thanks for your replies.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

January is really the best time of year to apply for a locator job. As Yahoo stated, things slow down this time of year and companies without enough work lay people off. October usually has in increase in locates but that is because people are doing last minute excavations before winter hits then work just drops off like a rock in some places.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xray View Post
    That's what I was thinking also, if I could just find out the supervisors in my area.
    The ad did say they were interviewing now.
    I really don't know what else to do short of calling the headquarters number and trying to speak with HR?
    I was hoping someone in my area would see this post and be able to help.
    Thanks for your replies.
    I find it odd that they are advertising for work at this time of year. My locating employment site has really dropped off in job postings also.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    I find it odd that they are advertising for work at this time of year. My locating employment site has really dropped off in job postings also.
    Not so odd.

1) They are ramping up for a new contract.

2) They are doing their job right. In areas where weather provides a ' dig' season we are approaching the time where the deadwood employees are let go.

To have a workforce ready for the dig season you interview newbies now, decide who to hire, bring them in for classroom training, send them out with a mentor who due to lower workload now has time to field train them, gives them a couple of months of working on their own and when dig season starts they can do the job and even give a little higher production rate.

Most companies do not do this because they are operated by idiots that do not really know the overall job, think of locators as warm bodies instead of professionals, think of getting a bigger bonus keeping payroll expense down at the cost of production income, costs of damages, increased overtime. This is simply the devil they know and they stick with.
    TheCableVine and yahoo like this.