Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie...

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Newbie...

Quote Originally Posted by IO-gonian View Post
    @Mke-
    Actually, yea thats who it is! lol
    I was told jeans, tee shirt and steel toe boots, so that's what I got.
    Great idea on the spare clothes though. Would like a kind of goulash or wader type of boot be better?
    Shorts sound awesome... I wonder if they will let us still do that? Ill ask on Monday!
    When I was still locating I wore shorts from April till sometime in October, but I can't do that anymore.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Turk182 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IO-gonian View Post
    Shorts sound awesome... I wonder if they will let us still do that? Ill ask on Monday!
    When I was still locating I wore shorts from April till sometime in October, but I can't do that anymore.
    Hey guys - I wear shorts everyday during the summer. The Style # B29 Carhartt shorts are the only shorts I have ever owned and will continue to buy. I like the left and right side pockets for my tools. I rotate the four pairs of these beauties that I already own.

Style # B29 Carhartt Menís Denim Work Short

Made of 15-ounce, 100% cotton denim.
    Garment washed for a soft finish.
    Sits at natural waist.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Left leg hammer-loop and ruler pocket.
    Right-leg, double-tool pocket.

Two reinforced back pockets.
    Triple-stitched main seams and bar tacks at stress points.
    8.5-inch inseam.

This is the good stuff!

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I would keep a pair of Muck boots or goolashes in the back, but you really shouldn't need to use them that often. Most of the time you'll do fine with regular boots. I'd also keep some quarters in the truck for an impromptu visit to a car wash to hose off mudd.... just don't use the hot wax setting.

You going to be stationed out of the PDX office or surrounding area?

Good luck with the training, let me know if you get the area near the Airport, it seems that we get sent some of the rookies, and they tend to be a bit intimidated by the airport.

Mke

as far as reading material goes, you should google common ground alliance and download and read their manual of best practices, its a pretty big pdf for all aspects of damage prevention, skip to the locator section and take notes, they are all very good points.
    "You can never trust AT&T to do the intelligent thing..." - SM&P Lead Tech

Wow, never received so much help before... kinda cool actually! Thanks for everyone's input... seriously.

Regarding the pdf's, just started to look at those this afternoon.... laughing about how ignorant I am on electro-magnetics! Wow!
    Going to study more in depth on everything tomorrow.

@Mke
    Not sure where the Boss is going to place me yet- live in City Center so don't know if thats where be stationed or not.
    Who knows, just might end up out there! Whats scary about the airport anyway? Do I get raise for WANTING to work to out there? lol

@wingfoot
    I thought You avoided all things cotton! lol

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Hey IO,

I'd be surprised if they toss you in the city center, it can get kinda ugly there. you'll probably be in the surrounding areas NE, SE, N. They might even toss you to the vancouver office depending on the needs.

As for why the airport is scarry...... well, none of your maps will show the configuration of the airport as it sits right now. The good news is PP&L usually does the big feeders in the area, and there is no NNG inside of our fence. but trying to find yourself on the maps to figure this out would take you (and the predecessors) a while... A lot longer to locate the correct map then to preform the actual locate.

As for the raise.... its the opposite, they toss you a buck more for working downtown..... it doesn't pay for the parking tickets or the bums trying to sell your transmitter back to you. (wish I was kidding).

Good luck.

Mke

@Mke-
    LOL... thats crazy! I've lived down here like seven years and had a couple of small pots yanked off of my ledge, but for someone to take something out of a truck? Wow! That guy must have been fiend-ing pretty hard core to be that brave! If downtown, they pay for parking right? Shouldn't have any issues with parking if thats the case. Either way, I'll letcha know where they ultimately place me.

So, its the size of the airport area that potentially needs scanned that scares people? I've worked with utility companies as clients and yea there are always issues with having updated records, so the mapping part really doesn't surprise me altogether, but it seems like it would behoove them to keep records WHERE their stuff is!

Years of Experience

welcome to the vine dude
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12