Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie...

Default Newbie...

Hey everyone,

New to the utility locator business and will be starting training here in about a week. Since I have stepped out of my comfort zone in terms of career, I am feeling a little uneasy, so am just curious if anyone knows of any reading material that I could review on the industry or if anyone has any tips that could assist me with this transition.

Also, living in the Pacific NW it tends to rain nearly all winter, so Im wondering what kinds of gear I should acquire for those months. Are certain brands better than others? Thanks for any help!

Looking forward to the change of pace!

Years of Experience

Default Re: Newbie...

Welcome to the forum friend! First, get yourself a good pair of boots. Ask someone in the company or crew what works best in your climate and for the amount of walking you will do. There's a lot of good rain gear out there. I have mine provided by my company, but I use Eddie Bauer stuff at home and it's always come through for me. Read throught the posts here. Many guys/ gals have contributed solid info that will help you get up to speed. And finally, ask questions! There is no such thing as a dumb question when you are trying to learn this trade. And it is a trade my friend!

Hey Thanks!
    I got some Weinbrenner's-- a tad heavy, but Im slowly breaking them in.
    Im assuming that they are good in rain being that they are for firefighters?
    They are definitely hot and heavy... but Im not accustomed to wearing boots so Im guessing thats normal.

Yea, I started reading through some of the posts- which is why I decided to go ahead and log in. Are there any resources in learning about our trade? Ill be specifically working with underground electrical and gas locating.

Thanks!
    Last edited by TheCableVine; August 6th, 2011 at 10:01 PM.

Years of Experience

http://www.radiodetection.com/doclib...ocating_en.pdf is pretty good sorce. Also I have only 2 words for outer wear GORE TEX. as for other layers wingfoot is the expert

Thumbs up Re: Newbie...

AWESOME... thanks for the read OrangeBoots; how I love me some bedside reading....
    That's EXACTLY what I was hoping that somebody could share with me!

So, I will certainly review those websites on the gear that you shared here, and see what I can find.
    I definitely MUST get a start on accumulating this stuff before the season hits!
    Last edited by IO-gonian; August 6th, 2011 at 09:10 PM. Reason: grammar

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum.

If you plan on getting your boots wet, which I think you will, I have heard that some people purchase 2 pair and switch them out every other day. That way it gives them a chance to dry out. Nobody likes to start the day with damp boots.

They will last longer as well.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by orangeboots View Post
    http://www.radiodetection.com/doclib...ocating_en.pdf is pretty good sorce. Also I have only 2 words for outer wear GORE TEX. as for other layers wingfoot is the expert
    Hey NOOB - Welcome to the'Vine and welcome to the field of locating! I'm glad to have you on board! Thanks also goes to orangeboots for the vote-of-confidence! Luv Ya Man!

A couple of years ago, in January here in Kansas City, it was cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey. I was standing outside with an on-sight foreman in charge of a work crew laying a new storm sewer main line. He looked at me and said, "$700 Perry Ellis framed glasses. $120 unfaded, black Carhartt winter bibs. $100 unfaded, black winter Carhartt hooded jacket. New, $200 Redwing work boots. A $50 Under Armor collared t-shirt. (He didn't know I was wearing one of my two $50 Under Armour Men's ColdGearŽ Action Leggings with a pair of my many Redwing Dri Foot socks.) Who are you?" I just laughed and said, "Just a guy who knows how to dress for the weather. My daughter picked out the Perry Ellis frames."

I was a commission-only, outside salesman struggling to support a family of 4 before I became a locator. My entire work history before locating was working primarily indoors. I owned nothing that was suited for working outdoors. I made many mistakes learning to dress properly for working comfortably outdoors locating.

The Cable Vine (Steve) is spot-on about footwear. I own two pairs of Redwing 6" top 6785 Hikers. I like the ankle support and longer life of the Redwings; 3 times the life vs the Wal-Mart stuff.

Redwing 6" top 6785 Hikers

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The aggressive, open tread on this Redwing gives me good footing (bite) on unlevel ground and does not clog with sticky mud as easily as a much closer lug-patterned sole. I buy my boots from a local Redwing outlet and get an AT&T worker's discount. Using the AT&T discount makes this $180 boot priced less than $150 with sales tax.

I realize a noob is not going to spend $150+ to buy a boot, let alone 2 pairs, but I urge you to consider the above style and bite when buying work boots. Wolverine makes a $100 water-proof boot that ain't that bad; W05703 Highlands Waterproof Mid Cut Hiker. I've owned 3 pairs of the Wolverine W05703 Hikers before the Redwings. The Wolverines performed well for me and lasted between 8 to 12 months of ground pounding before the tread was worn slick.

I like the Carhartt products because it is the Cadillac of work clothing. It's the good stuff............

For absolute, year-round comfort, a locator should NEVER wear cotton underwear, t-shirts or socks. Micro fiber, BABY! Micro fiber!!!!! The only cotton underwear I own is wife-beaters, because I don't wear them for work and I don't know if the 'beaters are available in microfiber. All my other cotton underwear/socks I have used for shop rags years ago. Check out The Cable Vine Monkey Butt thread. Read it! Learn it! Live it!

Anyway, thanks for becoming a member of the'Vine and please post often!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the Vine, Gas and Power...... sounds like a Locating Inc type of guy. I worked for them my first two years of locating. They are a little lax on requirements on what to wear. You can actually get away with some comfortable cross trainters or hiking boots most of the time, as long as you have official "work boots" in the truck on the rare occasion that you need them. The only thing I would personally add, is make sure the boots or shoes you get hold out the water as long as possible. I usually blow through boots in 6-8 months but can milk them to the 12month mark. Once your boots start letting in the water its all over. The one thing I loved when I was working for them...... Shorts. I can't wear shorts at work now, but with LI it was acceptable as long as it didn't "hamper" normal work requirements. Meaining you couldn't avoid walking through the brush just because you have shorts on.

Carry a spare set of clothes in the truck. Shirt, pants, socks, and undies. Those have came in handy on more than one occasion.

Let us know what equipment you will be using, I know LI has a good mixture of equipment and each has some pluses and minuses and the guys on here can help you with that.

Mke

@Cablevine,
    Thats great! It's funny that have always done that with sneakers and dress shoes and it never dawned on me that the same rule would apply with your work boots too.
    Certainly a good a idea to do that.... better start saving! lol

Talking Re: Newbie...

@wingfoot,
    LOL... yea I grew up in the Midwest with those heat indices and wind chill factors.... one of several reasons that I moved! I never worked outdoors there, it was always the challenge of going in and out of A/C with dress clothes (jacket/tie) without passing out. Never thought that I would be working of doors! I always would go on break or see people outdoors and be like... how nice to be able to enjoy the sun. Now, I am wondering- hmmm cold and heat and RAIN.. lol, what have I gotten myself into here? hehe! ... New adventures right?!

I got a chuckle out of your comment cause Im sure that some of the guys would have given you a hard time for having higher end stuff... "who is this guy?" he-he I've been looking at similar stuff and wondering, "is this over the top?" Don't want to seen too hipster or anything! And then, you hit the nail on the head.... dressing comfortably and properly for the outdoors is the key... doesn't matter about anyone else, just got to find the right stuff.

Never done the underarmor brand except for my work-out clothes, so Ill have to look at actual t shirts and underclothes, Its been extra humid this year, so noting that Im not a fan of cotton this summer, so I think that you are onto something with the underarmor. Don't worry, I never shop at WalMart .

Thanks for all of the info... good stuff, and Ill be reading up!

(Sorry... having fun with the graphics)

Years of Experience

Welcome IO-gonian ( FNG ), As for working out in the great Outdoors. Just wait for that first time your walking along and you get the Green Apple Quick Step and dive into the first hedge that will hide you from the passing traffic....Don't forget to pack the T.P.

@Mke-
    Actually, yea thats who it is! lol
    I was told jeans, tee shirt and steel toe boots, so that's what I got.
    Great idea on the spare clothes though. Would like a kind of goulash or wader type of boot be better?
    Shorts sound awesome... I wonder if they will let us still do that? Ill ask on Monday!

Talking Re: Newbie...

@locatethis
    Im hoping that wont be an issue! dwl

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by locatethis View Post
    Welcome IO-gonian ( FNG ), As for working out in the great Outdoors. Just wait for that first time your walking along and you get the Green Apple Quick Step and dive into the first hedge that will hide you from the passing traffic....Don't forget to pack the T.P.
    Oh trust me it will be a issue some days-I thought locatethis was following me around today

lol~ Ill have to tote a honey-bucket in the back! :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast