Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie

Years of Experience

Default Re: Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    I couldn't live without a boat.
    The 2 happiest days in a man's life... The day he buys his boat........ and the day he sells it!

----------------------------------------------------------

Hey L.I.T. - Welcome Aboard to the'Vine! Please post often.........

The best advice I can give to a Noob is get a mentor. Finding a locator with their own territory that has 2 to 3 years of field experience is the best choice for a mentor. A senior locator with more than 5 years experience uses too many shortcuts to be a good teacher for a Noob. You have to be proficient in the basics to be successful using shortcuts; and a 3 year locator only knows the basics and none of the scary shortcuts.

Warning - Do not use your area supervisor as a mentor! Most sups couldn't cut it as a locator so they became a boss. You'll learn nothing from yer boss and he/she will just slow you down. Bosses make great armchair critics but can't read a print to save their ass..... Not all bosses are this way, but don't take a chance with yours. Ask your boss who would make a good mentor for you on yer team and your boss will hook you up....

I've got 13 years in locating and my mentor(s) were of inestimable worth for me....... Good Luck........

GPS in trucks.....so much for freedom at this job

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    The 2 happiest days in a man's life... The day he buys his boat........ and the day he sells it!

Hey L.I.T. - Welcome Aboard to the'Vine! Please post often.........

The best advice I can give to a Noob is get a mentor. Finding a locator with their own territory that has 2 to 3 years of field experience is the best choice for a mentor. A senior locator with more than 5 years experience uses too many shortcuts to be a good teacher for a Noob. You have to be proficient in the basics to be successful using shortcuts; and a 3 year locator only knows the basics and none of the scary shortcuts.

Warning - Do not use your area supervisor as a mentor! Most sups couldn't cut it as a locator so they became a boss. You'll learn nothing from yer boss and he/she will just slow you down. Bosses make great armchair critics but can't read a print to save their ass..... Not all bosses are this way, but don't take a chance with yours. Ask your boss who would make a good mentor for you on yer team and your boss will hook you up....

I've got 13 years in locating and my mentor(s) were of inestimable worth for me....... Good Luck........

The advise of finding a mentor is priceless and can make you or break you in this job.

Find an experienced locator with who has an area near you. If they are willing they will help you with locates good becasue by working side by side you learn a lot.

As for that comment "Most sups couldn't cut it as a locator so they became a boss" there is some more to this.

The company has a group of locators and they need to make an area supervisor / foreman. They have some really great locators with low damage rates, high productivity, years of experience and a good work attendance record. The company then asks the less than stellar locator if they want the promotion to area supervisor / foreman.

The foreman is red ink, they do not produce money for the company. The experienced top rated locator is a money maker for the firm, they are cash cows that fund the training of the noobies and make the office show a profit. So often, though not in all firms, the promotion goes to people that to not perform the locators job very well. The company considers the money spent on the less than stellar locator as an investment and by making them foreman they see this as saving their investment. Plus they keep the top locators making money for them.

I have seen some number of great locators ask for the foreman's job and get passed over in favor of the locator that are not half their measure.

Junior Member LococatorinTraining's Avatar

Thanks everybody for the advice,

One thing I have seen over the years that really separates locators is the amount of curiosity one has. After some time on the job a good locator will be asking himself/herself questions like the following:

Is that all the facilities at this intersection?
    What is that old faded mark on the curb?
    How does that building/house next door get fed?
    Whose matchstick is that?
    Where exactly does this cable headed away from the work area actually go?

These are just some of the things you should be curious about after some time in the field. Good Luck!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I agree with Spray...

Never stop asking questions, the trick is don't ask them out loud.

When your out and about, even if your in your first week, the hardest thing is to be confident. you'll have contractors watching your every move, and you'll get stupid questions like " why are you over there, the locate is for right here." Just let them know, your verifying all utilities that might cross that area, and follow it up with "Jerk". they love that. Take your time, answer your questions that pop up in your head, and don't feel any pressure from anyone that might be around.

Most if not all of the mistakes I've made, have come from getting out of my rythm. Routine is the locators best friend.

mke

Junior Member LococatorinTraining's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    One thing I have seen over the years that really separates locators is the amount of curiosity one has. After some time on the job a good locator will be asking himself/herself questions like the following:

Is that all the facilities at this intersection?
    What is that old faded mark on the curb?
    How does that building/house next door get fed?
    Whose matchstick is that?
    Where exactly does this cable headed away from the work area actually go?

These are just some of the things you should be curious about after some time in the field. Good Luck!
    I have it pegged on the curiosity level big time, not even in school yet but I'm looking at everything in a whole new light. as in transformers,gas mains
    pedestals-never thought about it before,and now riding around town if I see someone in a vest -not locators , but sewer flow readers,eletric guys I'm chatting them up-about what they are doing and so far every one is more than happy to educate me, After a big snow melt I felt a vibration under my feet and walked it and found the sewer main,pretty wild, is that locating back in the day?

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

You walk or drive by the stuff all the time and once you get in class you begin to look and notice them. From farm taps, pinwheels for the fiber, saddles in the catv, down feeds and the peds and transformers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12