Thread: newbee

Default newbee

Hi, I've been checkin' out this site for awhile, and decided to join the action.
    I've been locating since 1998.
    I liked the post about locating the dreaded street lights, but haven't had the chance to check out the suggested wrapping the pole with wire trick, but looking forward to seeing if it works for me.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: newbee

Welcome aboard. Glad to have ya.

Welcome aboard. I've tried the wire wrapping several times now and without success. I think you need more than a 1 watt transmitter for this to work.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Welcome Aboard Minnesota newbee! lawnpainter - With 10 months of winter every year in Minnesota, is there really any lawns to paint? Just kidding.........

I was born in Fairmont, Minnesota and lived there for my first 9 years. Later I moved to Mankato, Minnesota for 2 winters of college. 39 below zero for the high temperature for 7 straight days taught me the lesson to find work further south! I moved to Omaha and experienced way too much snow. Then I moved to Kansas City, got married and meandered to Wichita, Kansas to get closer to the sun. Now I'm back in Kansas City and have been with SM&P since 1997. I love the freedom of this job and I enjoy the friendships & camaraderie in this fraternity. Being stuck at an office job would be a tough transition for me now.

Anyway, I'm glad you joined theVine and post often!

Years of Experience

welcome to the vine lawnpainter......and to the show????? write often we love to see what you think.......Godspeed to ya
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the show Lawnpainter. Easy there Yahoo......using my line. I'll have to take you out behind the barn.....
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

hahahhahahahah ifindit...........you got me!!! i'll take that beating like a man for word snatching...... Godspeed to ya lawnpainter.....
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Welcome to the vine.

As for the wire wrapping trick, I've had about 25 percent luck with it working for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    Welcome Aboard Minnesota newbee! lawnpainter - With 10 months of winter every year in Minnesota, is there really any lawns to paint? Just kidding.........

I was born in Fairmont, Minnesota and lived there for my first 9 years. Later I moved to Mankato, Minnesota for 2 winters of college. 39 below zero for the high temperature for 7 straight days taught me the lesson to find work further south! I moved to Omaha and experienced way too much snow. Then I moved to Kansas City, got married and meandered to Wichita, Kansas to get closer to the sun. Now I'm back in Kansas City and have been with SM&P since 1997. I love the freedom of this job and I enjoy the friendships & camaraderie in this fraternity. Being stuck at an office job would be a tough transition for me now.

Anyway, I'm glad you joined theVine and post often!
    (hope I did this right, guess we'll find out once I click submit), heh.
    Well actually the snow works pretty well for painting, it gives you a much nicer drawing board. I love the way orange shows up so well on the bright white snow. You can really decorate the unsuspecting homeowners yard for the holiday season. And when you make a mistake it is sooo much easier to erase, don't ya know. (minnesota accent applied) One of biggest problems with the snow is however, when it gets like over 4 feet deep, and then the temperature warms up just long enough to dump a layer of freezing drizzle on top and it freezes, then you go walking on top of it doing your locate, and all of a sudden you hit a soft spot and you dissappear out of site with nothing but your paint stick and receiver sticking out of the top of the snow. And you can't get out because you have you carhart bibs on over a layer of long underwear and jeans, and you can't bend you knees because your so bundled up. But yeah, we work all winter, you know, frozen water lines need to be replaced. Cars sliding off the road and taking out the power poles and street signs. Always somethin'.
    SM&P is in Minnesota too, but they lost a whole bunch of the Qwest contract they had, so I really don't see them in my area anymore. But some of them got hired by the locating service that picked up the contract, so I still get to see some of them around. I hate when you work beside locators for some time, then their company loses the contract, and you don't see them anymore.

Years of Experience

Welcome to the Politic vine ..I mean the cable vine

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TBONE View Post
    Welcome to the Politic vine ..I mean the cable vine
    Bone, you are justified in that comment, but you have to admit it has quieted down in here considerably over the last week or so.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia