Thread: New USIC Locator 2nd week in training.

Question New USIC Locator 2nd week in training.

Hello, Just started training and this is my 2nd week. First week went great. Second week, everyone is failing the tests! We started w/ 20 people and now we are down to 12. This week everyone of us failed our test.
    Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New USIC Locator 2nd week in training.

Welcom to the Board.

The best advise I can give you is.... Don't fail the tests.

On a more serious note... what are they testing you on? Company policy, radio frequency, or equipment?

I think there is more than enough people on here to help you out depending on what information your looking for.

Mke

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff S View Post
    Hello, Just started training and this is my 2nd week. First week went great. Second week, everyone is failing the tests! We started w/ 20 people and now we are down to 12. This week everyone of us failed our test.
    Does anyone have any suggestions please?
    Hi Jeff,

I too have started training, I'm almost done with the first week. We will be testing on electrical and locate theory tomorrow morning. I don't know how your training works, but we are allowed to retake the test up to 3 times, then after that - aidos. My recommendation is whatever is highlighted in red in the presentations, write down, highlight and try to memorize it as best as you can.

That is surprising to hear that 8 have already been dropped from the training program, my class isn't too worried about failing, they all think it's going to be a cake walk. On the tests, take a deep breath, and remember - trust your gut instinct, don't think too hard and long on one question - you'll just get anxious and forget everything. Look over the test and answer the questions you know, then on the other questions, make educated guesses - are 4 multiple choice questions similar and 1 multiple choice question nothing like the others? If not, cancel it out and keep narrowing down your choices to what seems logical.

I study for an hour when I get to the hotel. Have a snack. Relax. Then an hour later study some more. That ESSPT was confusing at first, but after memorizing it and writing it down a dozen times it's ingrained in my memory.

Good luck, study like you want the job, and you'll have nothing to worry about.

Thank you. It is locating underground wires, telephones, and aerial wires.
    Jeff S

well good luck to both of you ....IF yo happen to fail the test the first time review what you missed. most of the questions are straight foward.best advice was said already...things your trainer says pay attention to. ask questions.Best advice...use all the time the test allows....One question at a time...dont rush it....like mke said come on here and ask! it would be funny to see how much us old dogs forgot!

Years of Experience

Hey Jeff - Welcome to The Cable Vine! I am glad to have you as a member.

When I was in training with SM&P, my class lasted for 6 weeks. The class started with 15 and ended with 14.

I can remember a mid-term test that took me over a hour to complete. Probably 10 in my class turned their test answers to the instructor in less than 30 minutes, then quickly went outside to grab a smoke. The remaining 5 of us stayed another +/- 45 minutes to finish the test. I figured I must not be very bright because I was the last guy to turn in my test answers to the instructor. As the instructor was grading the tests for the others, he told me to join my classmates and he would call us back as a group after he figured the test results.

We gathered in the classroom after the break and the instructor called out my name and 4 others. He said, "You guys can leave the room and I'll tell you when you can return." As I was walking out I thought, "OOOOOOOOH Shit! This ain't good. At least I tried my very best. I guess I was looking for a job when I found this one."

The door was shut behind us and then the fireworks began. OMG! My teacher was an ex-military drill instructor and he proceeded to rip those remaining 10 guys a new ass! The walls were shaking! One pussy quit shortly thereafter.

Those guys skipped over probably half the questions just so they could get a smoke break quicker..... Dumbasses all! My group of five didn't answer all the questions correctly, but at least we made a serious attempt to pass the test. Let that be a lesson for us all!

The slackers didn't get fired, but none of the group of ten made it past 5 years. Four of my group of five are still paintin' dirt for SM&P/USIC the last 14+ years.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

Thank you. It is locating underground wires,{{{ telephones, and aerial wires.}}}<---these two are above the ground and usually easy to find...
    Jeff S
    Wireless_Telephone.jpg
    power20lines.jpg

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

That is funny Big-E. I read the post but didn't catch it.

Welcome aboard, Jeff. Post all your questions on here and you will get plenty of answers.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Thank you. It is locating underground wires, telephones, and aerial wires.
    Jeff S

The aerial ones are hard to put paint on.

If you get a signal paint it. 360 sweeps and 180 sweeps. Get another signal paint it. Tone and know. Better to tell a contractor you had a signal there, painted it, and theres something there than say its clear because of a weak signal then get called out because of a damaged line.

if you get multiple tones, always go with the stronger milliamps. how i only ever had 1( mismark) damage was because every mark i put done i locate in peak and then null and check the milliamps. the stronger the milliamps, more likely that is your target facility

Blast and survive !

A majority of the scope of a ticket never gets excavated thanks to the excavators cta (covering there a#^) on the AOC ...

As time progresses enjoy that thought...

Your leverage as retribution for them limiting your production and time management requirements is pull that paint trigger and let em have it! Utilize those states tolerance limits...

The equipment has its limits and you dont have all day to make those quota masters happy.

Years of Experience
    17 years

MAJORITY is the key word. Remind me not to move my family near any gas mains in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    MAJORITY is the key word. Remind me not to move my family near any gas mains in your area.
    Blame it on the nature of the business not me...

I say we spot the facilities and hold everyones hands and be 100% safety concious.

When major utility companys outsource the liability of facility protection to save money it leads to compromising the quality of facility protection.

Burger flipper pay to start in this vital occupation, and ongoing diminishing compensation for responsible parties to manage facility protection is what it is.