Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to USIC

Default New to USIC

Just started at USIC here in Houston, have about 3 weeks of training left.
    Anyone have any words of wisdom?

Years of Experience

Default Re: New to USIC

Yup. Absorb every single bit of technical information you can. Pay close attention to HOW utilities are placed in the ground. Don't limit yourself to only what is taught in the USIC curriculum. Read everything you can online (including here) about the field, locating theory, electromagnetic theory, antenna theory, etc., and thicken your hide.

Prepare to be one of the most under-appreciated technicians in the world, doing a job everyone is convinced is easy as can be...until they actually have to do it for a living.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

"Change does not always equal progress."

Welcome to the seventh cirlce of hell

Welcome aboard 112. Good Luck. We heard the Houston area was hiring 75 new people, any truth to the rumor?
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Thanks for the welcome, I heard around 48-50 people, my class of 12 plus 3 more...I plan on reading up and learning as much as possible.
    Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.
    Aristotle

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein

Years of Experience

with all said above.....
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Pay attention to the training, learn everything you can, ask questions about anything you struggle with, and use it as an experience gathering opportunity. After 8 months or so, when you have some confidence in your skills, start searching for jobs with SUE firms, municipal facilities, pipeline co's, anything that needs locating experience that is not pure contract locating. USIC is good for gaining experience, for most they are not a good choice for a long term career, there are some locators here that will disagree, but I believe they are the exception as opposed to the norm. USIC has a 60+% turnover rate for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by YouEssEyeSee112 View Post
    Thanks for the welcome, I heard around 48-50 people, my class of 12 plus 3 more...I plan on reading up and learning as much as possible.
    No offense to you, but I doubt 25% of anyone hired this year in Texas will make it through their 1st year before quitting or getting fired. Good luck to you my friend, the odds are against you. Just letting you know what you are in for, it's not like you're going into an area that has a solid foundation that you can call on for support.
    Life's a garden, dig it! - Joe Dirt

Thanks for all the advice.
    Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.
    Aristotle

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein

Years of Experience
    too many

after you get out of class......forget the book and stay glued to the guy you ride with...ASK QUESTIONS....Not only will you learn but the person your riding with will learn as well....Hopefully you have a good sup and he/she is able to spend time with you and see where you need help.

Hey 112. Welcome to USIC. I would NOT completely abandon what I learn in the classroom. I can still remember what I learned in that class back in February 1989, and when I do locate (not as much as I use too. I'm terribly slow and couldn't cut it with what our rock stars do today) I recall information from way back then. We could train you for 4 weeks, 4 months, 4 years, but you still wouldn't be prepared. The only way to get wet is by dipping your toe in the water. Ask many questions, find the individual (if he/she is a positive influence that has knowledge of your area) and bug the hell out of them. You'll get it, and our company is in need of great people in Houston. Welcome to your new career and please know that support is available. Your not on your own. This industry has trained tens of thousands just like you. Good luck!!

Years of Experience
    30+

Can you say spam?

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    Can you say spam?
    I used SPAM away.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Harrell View Post
    Hey 112. Welcome to USIC. I would NOT completely abandon what I learn in the classroom. I can still remember what I learned in that class back in February 1989, and when I do locate (not as much as I use too. I'm terribly slow and couldn't cut it with what our rock stars do today) I recall information from way back then. We could train you for 4 weeks, 4 months, 4 years, but you still wouldn't be prepared. The only way to get wet is by dipping your toe in the water. Ask many questions, find the individual (if he/she is a positive influence that has knowledge of your area) and bug the hell out of them. You'll get it, and our company is in need of great people in Houston. Welcome to your new career and please know that support is available. Your not on your own. This industry has trained tens of thousands just like you. Good luck!!
    What a D bag! You think of this all by yourself?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast