Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: New to the Tread New to the Business

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: New to the Tread New to the Business

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSquid View Post
    I am trying to figure out if I want this job with USIC. Any answers to the following questions would be

SNIP

Factor #5 when does the work day end.
    As a field supervisor will I be On-Call 24/7?
    Will I be able to go out of town on the weekend or do another activity that will make me unavailable for all or most of the day?
    I am not a supervisor with USIC but here is how it works at most places in the industry.

You are always working.

When your people are working late or weekends doing regular tickets you must be availble on the phone and to go in as needed.
    When a field tech has trouble locating a line you have to go in and help them find it just like normal weekday hours. If you have little locating experince you will have trouble here.

When your people are working regular tickets after hours or weekends and their equipmnet or vehicle fails you will have to come in and issue them new equipment or vehicles as needed.

Usualy a supervisor is assinged to cover field techs who are working oncall and this supervisor must be availalbe to assist the oncall tech whenever needed.
    Many firms assign a rotating schedule where one of the supervisors covers oncall a week at a time.
    Some firms have whatever supervisor cover oncall when on of their groups techs is on call.

A supervisor is never relly off work and must have the phone turned on and on their person at all times.

Also they are saleried and get no overtime or other compensation for after hours work.

Expect to work more hours and make less money than a locator.
    Stress and mental illness are the main benefits of being a supervisor.
    yahoo and FieldTech561 like this.

Years of Experience

Damn Pro, your gonna run the dude completely away from the industry. Nothing positive at all there man. Although, you are just speaking the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    I am not a supervisor with USIC but here is how it works at most places in the industry.

You are always working.

When your people are working late or weekends doing regular tickets you must be availble on the phone and to go in as needed.
    When a field tech has trouble locating a line you have to go in and help them find it just like normal weekday hours. If you have little locating experince you will have trouble here.

When your people are working regular tickets after hours or weekends and their equipmnet or vehicle fails you will have to come in and issue them new equipment or vehicles as needed.

Usualy a supervisor is assinged to cover field techs who are working oncall and this supervisor must be availalbe to assist the oncall tech whenever needed.
    Many firms assign a rotating schedule where one of the supervisors covers oncall a week at a time.
    Some firms have whatever supervisor cover oncall when on of their groups techs is on call.

A supervisor is never relly off work and must have the phone turned on and on their person at all times.

Also they are saleried and get no overtime or other compensation for after hours work.

Expect to work more hours and make less money than a locator.
    Stress and mental illness are the main benefits of being a supervisor.
    UULC likes this.

Years of Experience
    17 years

I was a sup in 2001. It sucked. The company contract got bought out and the next company brought in their own sups. I was back to locator. Best thing that could have happened. Been offered a promotion twice since then and turned them both down. You think your job is thankless? Become a sup and you might just miss it.
    Last edited by daman1; October 9th, 2014 at 08:23 PM.
    yahoo, ohlocator and UULC like this.

Years of Experience
    30+

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    Damn Pro, your gonna run the dude completely away from the industry. Nothing positive at all there man. Although, you are just speaking the truth.
    I guess when you use to work for CLS/USIC you lose a positive outlook. USIC uses and abuse workers. I left in '09 and would never go back unless there were drastic changes.
    daman1 likes this.

Years of Experience

Lucky Bustard.

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    I guess when you use to work for CLS/USIC you lose a positive outlook. USIC uses and abuse workers. I left in '09 and would never go back unless there were drastic changes.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSquid View Post
    I interview for a Field Supervisor position with USIC.

I made it past the first interview and now for a ride-along. USIC has made my all my travel arrangements for a one day more like 4 hour visit where I will be working. What is life like for a Field Supervisor? I don't know what to expect. I will post what I learn from this trip in this tread.

What is the starting hourly pay for Locator Techs and in general what can they expect to be earning per hour after 5 and then 10 years? Is there a set time of year when raises are given? The reason I am asking these questions is I need to know what motivates Technicians. I can only expect people to perform at a level reflects the level of their compensation. I think that after a Tech is on the job for a year, and performing at expected levels, the hourly wage should be at least $17/hr. I might be way off base on the $/hr but I really don't know.

When I come across confusing situations with company policy or other utility locating issues I will be reaching out to members of this forum for their opinion.

I don't feel comfortable telling you where I will be working because who knows maybe someone reading this will be my boss or one of the Locator Techs that I will be supervising and if you figure out who I am it would lead to some unprofessional situations.

Thank you and I hope to be part of the solution and not just a new problem.
    Nice.
    I don't work for USIC but I will be a supervisor for another locating company.
    Starting pay for techs is in the $14/ hr range.
    after a year it might increase by $.50
    5-10 years, maybe max out at $18.
    Supervisors make about $50k/ year depending on bonuses.

Different things motivate Technicians, for me I thought the job was very interesting since I am
    a technical person and like using my head and the great outdoors.
    Pay is not a motivator for me.

Do you have locating experience?

If you don't, your crew will know that and you won't really know
    how a Field Tech feels when its the middle of Summer he's got 110 tickets in his box, 35 due, 8 project tickets past due and 4 electric main emergencies.
    PLUS he's On-Call for that week.... You just won't understand... not your fault.

But, the best thing you can do is support your team and help them be the best they can. :-)

Supervisors work at least 50 hours a week. Requires alot of dedication.

In training take ALOT of notes, as much as you can and ask questions!
    It is alot of information at first, but you'll get the hang of it quickly.
    You have to be very organized and able to communicate effectively to Technicians and your bosses.
    Expect to help mentor new techs and manage all techs work loads.

Be a positive role model for your techs and you will be okay.
    Homeowner - "They still bury lines in the ground?
    I thought they didn't do that anymore!"
    Me - "Yes sir they do."
    Homeowner - "My gas line is not over there"
    Me - "Yes it is."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12