Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: New to the Tread New to the Business

Default New to the Tread New to the Business

I interview for a Field Supervisor position with USIC.

I made it past the first interview and now for a ride-along. USIC has made my all my travel arrangements for a one day more like 4 hour visit where I will be working. What is life like for a Field Supervisor? I don't know what to expect. I will post what I learn from this trip in this tread.

What is the starting hourly pay for Locator Techs and in general what can they expect to be earning per hour after 5 and then 10 years? Is there a set time of year when raises are given? The reason I am asking these questions is I need to know what motivates Locator Techs. I can only expect people to perform at a level reflects the level of their compensation. I think that after a Tech is on the job for a year, and performing at expected levels, the hourly wage should be at least $17/hr. I might be way off base on the $/hr but I really don't know.

When I come across confusing situations with company policy or other utility locating issues I will be reaching out to members of this forum for their opinion.

I don't feel comfortable telling you where I will be working because who knows maybe someone reading this will be my boss or one of the Locator Techs that I will be supervising and if you figure out who I am it would lead to some unprofessional situations.

Thank you and I hope to be part of the solution and not just a new problem.
    Mark, daman1 and Nb22x like this.

Default Re: New to the Tread New to the Business

I have some grammar errors in my first post that I see now. I did write that post way to late at night to catch the mistakes.

I did what to say that I am relocating,with my wife, half way across the country for this position after serving 20 years in the Navy. I have only spent like 10 days in the state and 4 days in the city that I am relocating to. I do have an aunt and uncle that live in the area but they will be moving within the next 2 years to be closer to their children.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Welcome aboard QuickSquid. I'm ex-Navy myself. Fire Control Technician. AN-SPG 55B radar. Wow, I remembered all of that.

Some of us are grammar nazis and most of us have poor grammar and spelling so not to worry.
    yahoo likes this.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Welcome Quicksquid, and thank you for serving.

I can't understand a single thing you posted, because your grammar sucks. Where did you learn to spell?!!

Just kiddin buddy, welcome to the show.

Years of Experience

Welcome aboard quick squid . From another old sailor thank you for your service .
    There are many knowledgeable people here and they can answer about any question you will have so just throw them out as they come .

Years of Experience

Welcome Squidward! We'll help as much as we can.

P.S. How's Patrick and SpongeBob been doing? Just messin witcha dude. Glad to have you aboard.
    Last edited by superman; September 28th, 2014 at 10:07 AM.

Years of Experience

welcome to the VINE dude !!! I would love to get into that subject with you but I think you will have to learn for yourself and any advice may be a set-back .
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the Vine, if you have questions "Fire Away". Ha! You see what I did there??? I made a funny.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

I am trying to figure out if I want this job with USIC. Any answers to the following questions would be great.

Factor #1 is the compensation.
    I am told that there are bonuses for Field Supervisors but I don't know what can be expected, if anyone has insight on bonus amounts and when they are paid that would be great.
    When are raises given? Is it based on the calendar year or on the employment anniversary date?

Factor#2 is training.
    The field sup role focuses on graduating from a Supervisor-In-Training program. How long is this program and what is it like? Will I be training full time, Mon-Fri, until the training is completed or will there just be a short initial training and then a mix of work and training?

Factor #3 Company Vehicle
    Will I be given a gas card? Will I have to document mileage? Can I use the vehicle for personal reasons, if not, can I stop at the grocery store on the way home at the end of the day?

Factor #4 Cell Phone.
    Can I choose which phone I want? Does the phone come with unlimited talk and data?

Factor #5 when does the work day end.
    As a field supervisor will I be On-Call 24/7?
    Will I be able to go out of town on the weekend or do another activity that will make me unavailable for all or most of the day?
    Last edited by QuickSquid; October 5th, 2014 at 11:06 PM.

Years of Experience

You make it sound like you have all kinds of options. How many job offers do you have sir? If you need a job, then take it. Damn.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSquid View Post
    I am trying to figure out if I want this job with USIC. Any answers to the following questions would be great.

Factor #1 is the compensation.
    I am told that there are bonuses for Field Supervisors but I don't know what can be expected, if anyone has insight on bonus amounts and when they are paid that would be great.
    When are raises given? Is it based on the calendar year or on the employment anniversary date?

Factor#2 is training.
    The field sup role focuses on graduating from a Supervisor-In-Training program. How long is this program and what is it like? Will I be training full time, Mon-Fri, until the training is completed or will there just be a short initial training and then a mix of work and training?

Factor #3 Company Vehicle
    Will I be given a gas card? Will I have to document mileage? Can I use the vehicle for personal reasons, if not, can I stop at the grocery store on the way home at the end of the day?

Factor #4 Cell Phone.
    Can I choose which phone I want? Does the phone come with unlimited talk and data?

Factor #5 when does the work day end.
    As a field supervisor will I be On-Call 24/7?
    Will I be able to go out of town on the weekend or do another activity that will make me unavailable for all or most of the day?
    I unfortunately have no experience with USIC. I could gamble with some answers to your questions just on the fact of how the industry works. Before I do, I find it curious that in your questions you do not seem worried about any issues with locating and/or the difficulties you as a sup have to face with knowing what your underlings are going through.

That being said, my best guesses are as follows...

1)Compensation will never be enough, and it will still be better then a regular seasoned locating tech.

2)Training will be inadequate and won't cover 40% of what you will be faced with in the field.

3)Yes, on the gas card. We always had to log mileage when we filled at the pumps, and officially you can't use the truck for personal use, but as a supervisor if you have to get "work supplies" the same time you get groceries.... no one will care.

4) As a sup, you will probably have unlimited talk and 2gig of data, as for the phone... do they still make blackberries?

5)yes, you will be on call 24/7/365.... that doesn't mean you have to respond. you just have to call the locator with the most experience.

hopefully that will create more questions.

mke
    daman1 likes this.

Years of Experience
    10yrs +
    Blog Entries

welcome to the funnyfarm Squid, as for your inquiry, MKE pretty much nailed it, lets just say hopefully it's not Texas where you are considering to relocate, with USIC, particularly west Texas, if so i hope that they have been courteous enough to disclose the continuous turn over and that in the past 5 years there has been no supervisor successfully achieve the bonus for that region, pay is high but it also includes 6 way locating and very bad prints, old fleet of vehicles but it is a $$ maker, my old lead tech was averaging 70k a year if not more, losing people to the oil fields on a monthly basis. I wish you the best and hope you can flourish in this great industry.

Years of Experience

Here are some basic answers #1 pay salary is pretty good not great 50 to 60 bonus is paid monthly based on motor vehicle, production, damages and workers comp #2 I am guessing you have no locate experience. This will be a HUGE deal with your crew. You will go thru the 3 week locator training class witch is worthless at best. Then supe training for another 2 weeks then field work. #3 You will have a extended cab Nissian a gas card donlen fleet maint. and you just enter miles when you fuel no forms to fill out. you can use it for very limited presonal use all trucks are equipped with gps. #4 phone will be a blackberry unlimited everything your laptop will be your new best friend #5 you may rotate on call with other supes in your area if it is urban if it's rural you're on your own like i said your laptop will be going everywhere you go

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by orangeboots View Post
    Here are some basic answers #1 pay salary is pretty good not great 50 to 60 bonus is paid monthly based on motor vehicle, production, damages and workers comp #2 I am guessing you have no locate experience. This will be a HUGE deal with your crew. You will go thru the 3 week locator training class witch is worthless at best. Then supe training for another 2 weeks then field work. #3 You will have a extended cab Nissian a gas card donlen fleet maint. and you just enter miles when you fuel no forms to fill out. you can use it for very limited presonal use all trucks are equipped with gps. #4 phone will be a blackberry unlimited everything your laptop will be your new best friend #5 you may rotate on call with other supes in your area if it is urban if it's rural you're on your own like i said your laptop will be going everywhere you go
    I wasn't too far off.

mke

Years of Experience

I'm pretty sure you have to have at least 3 yrs locating to become eligible for sup. Unless..., you know..., your the boss's son or something.

Quote Originally Posted by orangeboots View Post
    #2 I am guessing you have no locate experience. This will be a HUGE deal with your crew. You will go thru the 3 week locator training class witch is worthless at best. Then supe training for another 2 weeks then field work.
    UULC and Nb22x like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast