Thread: New (sort of)

Default New (sort of)

Hello to all. I used to read this forum all the time until I forgot my user name and password. A buddy of mine recently mentioned the site and I decided to check it out again. I am glad I did. There are a lot of good threads here. I started as a locator in 1996 and still have some of the fanciest painted boots that Krylon can provide.
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New (sort of)

Welcome back. Glad you made it.

Years of Experience

Welcome back... Glad you found the site again...

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Welcome back GPG
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

welcome dude to the vine again....post often...
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Salutations.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

welcome to the vine

Years of Experience

Welcome back to the Vine, I think I have done the samething a couple times over the years.It is always good to come back.

Thanks for the warm reception. Has anyone here ever tried out the new RD4000? I heard today that the new ones can take the 120v so that you can break apart a meter base and hook to the post on the neutral for direct connect. I don't typically use RD, but that would be a useful feature.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by GPGrasshopper View Post
    Thanks for the warm reception. Has anyone here ever tried out the new RD4000? I heard today that the new ones can take the 120v so that you can break apart a meter base and hook to the post on the neutral for direct connect. I don't typically use RD, but that would be a useful feature.
    Ummm...I would never advise anyone to "break apart a meter base" unless they are a liscenced journeyman electrician with the background to do so safely. There is no need to DC to the Neutral. The Neutral Buss that the secondary connects to is solid ground to the base anyway. DC'ing to the box will provide the same results.

My weapon of choice is the RD4000, started using it in 2004. It will NOT take a 120v current (the current in a secondary in a meter base is 480v anyway) and hooking up to ANY live, or suspected live, electric line is not smart, period.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

I never worked in an area where getting access to inside the meter was an option. We DC to the ground wire on the meter base, or clamp the riser, or clip the transformer. My buddy works for a electric coop and they do things that I personally would not. I also do not have exprerience with RD's. Mine has mostly been pipehorn, metrotech and subsite. I thought it sounded funny when he told me that the box would take 120, but since I didn't know if it true or not, I figured someone here might be able to set me straight.
    Back in the mid/ late 90's one of the companies we contracted to would bury electric service stub outs hot. We used to use a voltage tester on the neutral before DC to it to find the stubs. Luckily that went the way of the Dodo.