• 2 Post By Joel E
  • 1 Post By locatethis
  • 1 Post By ifinditunderground

Thread: New to this site

Years of Experience

Default New to this site

OK,

Newbie,here.

[Although I have posted responses, I finally discovered how to start a new thread].

Introducing myself: Retired after a 40 year career in local county government with last 10 years in Utilities, and after having lived our entire lives in and around Metro Atlanta, my wife & I are relocating to Western North Carolina; Asheville vicinity. I need to find employment as well.

I would love to have any positive input / advice regarding utility / locator jobs in that area.

I have been a locator, Utilities Coordinator [ which I especially enjoyed] , Vice Chair, Chair person in local UCC, Ga811 person of contact, emergency management person of contact, NJUNS person of contact.

I have a certificate in Underground Utility Locate Technician as well as other work related certificates. Obviously, I enjoy working with people, team work, projects and getting the job done.

On a personal note, my wife & I enjoy music and nature: Classic rock, Electric Blues, fly fishing, hiking..just being outdoors. Asheville seems to be an ideal locale for art, crafts, music, culture and adjacent to mountains , forests and streams.

Again, I am looking forward to continuing our lives and beginning my next career in Utilities in the Asheville vicinity: postive input welcomed.

Thanks, All....Joel E.
    daman1 and UULC like this.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New to this site

Welcome to the site. It looks like you have much to offer.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Hey Joel, Sounds like everything I'd like to do! Would you and your wife like to adopt me? I don't eat much and I can locate as well!!!

PS. Welcome!!!
    yahoo likes this.
    I must be F#%@ing Daffy!!!

Years of Experience

welcome to the Vine Joel ! Good Luck on your new adventure !
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Have you thought about approaching Engineering firms and offering yourself as a utility coordinator? It's been my experience Engineering firms are always looking for someone to take that task on.
    Mke likes this.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    Have you thought about approaching Engineering firms and offering yourself as a utility coordinator? It's been my experience Engineering firms are always looking for someone to take that task on.
    I'd actualy see if they have and "Civil inspector" positions. they are mostly summer positions and pay relatively well.

mke

Years of Experience

TO ALL Thanks for welcoming me.

The Cable Vine..Thanks..
    Locate this: Let me get my job..then we'll talk. However, you must have more handy-man, mechanical skills than I. You must enjoy/ appreciate music art nature. HAVE A BOAT?? I mostly annoy fish from the bank. Have a strong back?...I prefer larger speaker cabinets.
    Yahoo:THANKS!
    IFINDITUNDERGROUND: Initally at retirement, I was hired as a Utility Coordinator with a firm out of VA. Great job, company, people. However, their GA office was a 4 hour daily commute, so I declined the offer. I view Gvt job sites in Western NC. I realize that more jobs exist in Charlotte; however we will not delay our dream to live in / near the mountains any longer and Central NC will be a loooong commute.
    MKE: WILL DO!

Again, Thanks all for welcoming me! Gald I found this site.. it is a great resource! I hope to be a positive contributor to this site and when I find my next career, I will help others. I AM LOYAL TO THOSE WHO ARE LOYAL TO ME.

Please keep sharing suggestions and PM's are welcomed!