Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: New to Premier -- tattoos!?

Default Re: New to Premier -- tattoos!?

I'm just curious how you would possibly know that "Premier has a good reputation among the locators who work there" when you are in Maryland and I'm referring to the locators in North NJ? Have you been in the field interviewing them lately? I work for a different company locating and I run into their guys on a daily basis, both during normal work areas and on call. I can assure you that they have plenty of disgruntled employees who are actively looking for different jobs due to safety concerns and issues with the supervisor. As far as your problems in the past destroying company equipment with your fists, I've always been taught where there is smoke there is fire.

Years of Experience

I do work at Premier and I can tell you that there are happy Locators here. I have worked for a few different companies in my 20 plus year career. Not one of us can say that we are 100 % happy with the companies we work for 100% of the time but i can tell you that Premier has treated me the best. Management Staff all have been in the Field and they do know what we go through as techs. How many Companies can say that they have Executive Management that has done our Job?

few things i hope to clarify:
    Tatoos - I have never heard them say anything about Tatoos. as a matter of fact some Supervisors (1 in the office) has tatoos all up her arm.

Safety - We are all asked to complete jobs on major roads. i complete these type jobs either early in the morning or late eveneing when the traffic is lessened. I also work closely with the guys next to me and we team up on these jobs. Premier has dedicated Safety people and i can tell you that one of the Safety guys pulled up on me to do an Audit and when i told him that i may push the job until later that evening when the traffic dies down, he said he would meet me so he can assist me and watch my back. he showed back up @ 8pm and stayed with me and did all my hookups. I also have seen in my time here that the Supervisors have tried to help whenever available to assist with road jobs. I had SUpervisors that were always to "Busy" to assist.

Leaving Premier - this comes up with all companies i have worked for. I have seen plenty of guys leave Premier only to return to Premier because the grass isnt always greener. I had just heard that 2 guys returned after leaving and going to another Locate Company and they didn't last the month with them. luckily they had no issue coming back and were able to keep the benefits going. I used to work in NJ as well for Premier and from what i had heard they have been getting quite a few new employees and they are coming from other Locate Firms.

At the end of the day the companies are successful because of the Production, quality and Safe work practices of the Field. Our Managers & Supervisors try to make sure that we are following what we are trained to do. We all can self reflect and say " If i had only done what i was trained to do this would have never occurred". This cana be used with a Damage, Vehicle Accident or Safety Incident. We are all trained to do our job the right way. If we deviate from that whose fault is it? Our Management staff goal is to make sure we do that. As long as we prove to them that we do that you should have no issue. I know that i make sure that i am following the procedures i was taught and that allows me to sleep at night.

ProLoc knowing Premier is a good Company-
    I have been on this site for quite a few years and ProLoc has always been one of the guys that is very detailed in what he says. I can only assume that he has his fingers on the pulse of the industry. MD inst too far from NJ and any Technician and/or Supervisor should be fully aware of what the other companies are doing.

i don't want to sound like an ass kisser but i can honestly tell you that i am happy here and i know for a fact that there are quite a few others as well.

As big of an Industry this is, i hope we all remember that it doesn't matter what company that we work for, the main thing we have to remember is that Our Reputation is the only thing we have that we h ave control over. As long as your reputation is good then Money, New Company Cars and other perks will come from your hard work.

Looking forward to continuing the discussion.....

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I'm just curious how you would possibly know that "Premier has a good reputation among the locators who work there" when you are in Maryland and I'm referring to the locators in North NJ? Have you been in the field interviewing them lately? I work for a different company locating and I run into their guys on a daily basis, both during normal work areas and on call. I can assure you that they have plenty of disgruntled employees who are actively looking for different jobs due to safety concerns and issues with the supervisor. As far as your problems in the past destroying company equipment with your fists, I've always been taught where there is smoke there is fire.
    To satisfy your couriosity,

The reputation of Premier can be determined by the posts by it's employees on this website. The majority if the posts are positive and the big complaint is that people say to do not advance among Premier's ranks due to not being part of the in crowd, which applies to almost every company.

As for where there is smoke there is fire, yes, the old saying is often true. Just not in this case.

Locator in NY seems to be in management for Premier (Ed H?). So I'll take what he says with a grain of salt. As far as money, new cars and other perks, that is laughable. Again, talk to the NJ locators (not the NY ones, I hear they are treated like gold, NJ locators are the step children fighting for scraps). I've seen the cars they drive around in, probably wouldn't even pass inspection. Hand me down equipment, forced to work crazy hours on call without any time off the following day (unless they take it unpaid, sounds safe). Some of the guys are forced to do a week on call at a time (really safe). There is a new supervisor in NJ who is forcing guys to work by themselves at crazy traffic filled intersections. Saying you start early or do jobs late because of traffic is fine...but you're leaving out the part of them working a full day around those early and late hours plus on call. All the safety is about covering themselves, it's not about really keeping their employees safe. I have heard of employees waiting years for a raise, yet they take on new contracts (with no prints). No training on new contracts, just the attitude of "if you can locate one utility, you can locate them all". If Locator in NY works in NY, he may have no clue what this post is about. As I mentioned, NJ locators are treated like sub contractors (easy come, easy go). I heard nightmare stories of them going on storm work, being forced to drive right into a snow storm through roads that are closed when anybody with half a brain would have waited a day or two for the road to be plowed. Its all about making the company $. If you saw the vehicles they drive, and saw them driving through the snow storms for storm work, you would send them to have their heads examined. Again, Locator in NY might have no idea what the pulse is of the guys working in NJ, then again from his management ivory tower looking down, it's hard to see what's really going on.

I don't even want to come across like I'm just slamming Premier, overall they're a ok company. I will give another example of the Good Old Boy network. There's a company working in NJ called Atlantic. They have a supervisor (let's call him Greg A) who gives all his friends clears to make their numbers look good (Art S). I believe they even play in a band together. Sure your numbers look great when you're hooking your friends up with clear tickets. I guess that's a perk of being a supervisor, but its hurting the production of others. Locators in the field who work for them have openly complained (Ray C). I don't blame them. Then when your buddy gets promoted (Art S) over others like RC who feel they've put their time in too, I don't blame them for complaining to anyone who will listen.

Years of Experience

God, do I miss contract locating....oh wait, no I don't.
    Hung Powers likes this.

Premier is pretty much new here in Illinois, and I run into their locators on a daily basis. Everyone I talke to seems to be very happy with the company. Of course they are very busy right now...........I guess it's because it's dig season!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredLocatorNJ View Post
    I don't even want to come across like I'm just slamming Premier, overall they're a ok company. I will give another example of the Good Old Boy network. There's a company working in NJ called Atlantic. They have a supervisor (let's call him Greg A) who gives all his friends clears to make their numbers look good (Art S). I believe they even play in a band together. Sure your numbers look great when you're hooking your friends up with clear tickets. I guess that's a perk of being a supervisor, but its hurting the production of others. Locators in the field who work for them have openly complained (Ray C). I don't blame them. Then when your buddy gets promoted (Art S) over others like RC who feel they've put their time in too, I don't blame them for complaining to anyone who will listen.

must be nice just to make shit up huh? Maybe you should know what you are talking about before posting. Ray C complained? to whom? Supervisor gave his friend clears? How is that possible when he was not even the supervisor of the locator?

Just another bitter dumbass who could not hack it

Quote Originally Posted by locatepro View Post
    must be nice just to make shit up huh? Maybe you should know what you are talking about before posting. Ray C complained? to whom? Supervisor gave his friend clears? How is that possible when he was not even the supervisor of the locator?

Just another bitter dumbass who could not hack it
    Locatepro, I'm not sure if you work in the area so maybe you just don't know. If a guy who works for the company and has as much experience as Ray C is saying it to everyone, I'm going to take his word for it. I've had a few people tell my guys about it, not just one "bitter" locator. Rumor has it you show favoritism to your pals. (Band Members) most of the guys who work for you state on a daily basis that you have a big head and ego. It's time to swallow your pride son.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

daman1 likes this.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredLocatorNJ View Post
    Locatepro, I'm not sure if you work in the area so maybe you just don't know. If a guy who works for the company and has as much experience as Ray C is saying it to everyone, I'm going to take his word for it. I've had a few people tell my guys about it, not just one "bitter" locator. Rumor has it you show favoritism to your pals. (Band Members) most of the guys who work for you state on a daily basis that you have a big head and ego. It's time to swallow your pride son.

You look foolish with each post you make. The person you are talking about is not in any sort of band and shows zero favoritism since he does not move tickets lol. Good luck to you and whatever company you work for.

Years of Experience

I am a locator in Maryland for Premier and I can tell you I am very happy where I am at. I have spoken to some Jersey locators and from what I have been told about the Miss Utilities laws there. I am glad I locate here.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Just a quick reminder to refrain from using peoples names. first names are okay but full names like... "Hey, that dumb ass supervisor, Freddy Finkelmeyer don't know his ass from a hole in the ground" is inappropriate. You can use initials too, but I want to avoid identifying people who, even though they may be a complete jack ass, aren't here to defend themselves.

Just a reminder. carry on.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Just curious if you ever took that job at Premier? Just like I predicted over a month ago, there has been a lot of turn over in NJ at the company lately. A friend told me they have lost a bunch of north NJ employees lately, and still more to come. I had a few apply at my company. Everyone is fed up with the supervisor. They should have known what they were in for hiring someone with a shady background (which everyone in the industry knows about). A shame because they seemed to be doing great not too long ago.

Not sure why this thread got so off track from OP's question, but in my opinion just the fact that the question had to be asked is a dead give away to the answer.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast