Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: New to Premier -- tattoos!?

Default Re: New to Premier -- tattoos!?

And to answer the question I started in this forum...coming from the HR department, no, they do not care about tattoos...one of the many employers in the good ol' USA that has the sense to know tattoos don't hurt your work performance!!!

Years of Experience

Homer....good luck with your new job ...I am so glad you humbly accepted peoples opinions in answering your question . Now that you have the knowledge to use for the rest of you life so it's having wisdom to use it that will make all the difference !!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Homer, sorry if you took offence, I'm just an old codger and I don't get why someone would stick bones in their noses and spikes in lips and stuff like that. Besides I have tattoos myself, on my arm!

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Homer8507 View Post
    I just think it's dumb employers consider this....it's like discriminating because of someone's color or disability...yes, tattoos are optional, but who decided that a person without tattoos could do a better job then someone with tattoos?? That person is the dumb one, or too close-minded. I am pretty tattooed, but also have an Associate's Degree and a dual Bachelor's.
    You have all that education and you are field locating utilities......yeah, I am dumb for considering your professional appearance. It's not in any way discriminational.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

So... I'm going to show some hypocracy. I have no issues with tattoos. I actually have a thing for women with tattoos.

With that being said, I'm with Ifindit on the hiring process. Its just like hiring a fat personal trainer. They may know everything they need to so they can be the best personal trainer out there. But some people are not going to hire them because they don't present themselves well. (Its ok to use the word "fat" cause I are one).

I know you are on the opposite side of this argument and I'm not saying you caon't get a great job, or just because you have tattoos makes you a horrible locator. I'm just saying that with "visible" tattoos you have a greater chance of not getting certian jobs.

If I was hiring for a company that sent locators out to private companies or private houses to perform locates. I would want them to be as less intimidating as possible. Again, nothing against your knowledge or skills, it is solely based on how I want my company percieved.

A contract company we use has a guy who brings his black lab to work. That is not acceptable either. There is a long list of things that will hurt your chances in an interview... why add to it?

List of things that will limit your application from being processed:

Stains
    Creases or wrinkles
    Mis-spell company's name
    Non-legible writing
    If you use the words; Can't, irreguardless, superfluous,etc...

there are some others, but i think you get my point....

mke

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

The responses in this thread reflect business everywhere.

In a firm where professional appearance is considered as a factor visable tattoos are an obstical for being hired.

In general if you are considering getting tattoed put it where work clotheing can cover it if you want to be hired anywhere.

Also, I have never seen anyone with a face tattoo working at a conventional job, not even Mcdonald's.

Years of Experience

Pro, this definitely is not McDonalds, and in some cultures facial tattoos are a rite of passage for young adults. While we strive to think of public image, what is an image other than what we perceive ourselves? Your idea may be different than another, but who is right? Would you hold the same regards to a person physically scarred on the face from a childhood accident? What if they were they "messiah" of locating, running their hands over the ground and finding everything, being able to tell the depth and all. If they had a tattoo on their face, would they never be considered for a job?
    I think on a professional level, it should make no difference. I have skin grafts on my body, due to a choice I made when I was younger, does that eliminate me from a pool of successful candidates? I hope not.
    Pro, I am not attacking you, just asking questions, and trying to understand!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sauroke View Post
    Pro, this definitely is not McDonalds, and in some cultures facial tattoos are a rite of passage for young adults. While we strive to think of public image, what is an image other than what we perceive ourselves? Your idea may be different than another, but who is right? Would you hold the same regards to a person physically scarred on the face from a childhood accident? What if they were they "messiah" of locating, running their hands over the ground and finding everything, being able to tell the depth and all. If they had a tattoo on their face, would they never be considered for a job?
    I think on a professional level, it should make no difference. I have skin grafts on my body, due to a choice I made when I was younger, does that eliminate me from a pool of successful candidates? I hope not.
    The answer is it matters not if the prospective employer is right or wrong on the question you ask, that is simply the way things are done.

The law does restrict what an employer can consider but ink is not among the restricted things.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sauroke View Post
    Sauroke, I can answer your questions. No, you absolutely would not be disqualified for scars, scars aren't ink. If a Native of South America or the Pacific, etc. came to me searching for work (legally) and had facial tattoos, I might make exceptions if those tattoos are that, religious or tribal tattoos that are a rite of passage. If a young American came in with an Insane Clown Posse tattoo on their neck, or "**** You" scrawled on their face, that is NOT the same thing...
    yahoo likes this.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

Understandable in most aspects, but when you are young and dumb, why should you be held back because you had no solid foundation or direction to go when younger?
    Would you think the same if this person you are interviewing walked on water, and blew fireballs out of his arse?
    I'm just saying, sometimes people do stupid things when they are 18.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    The responses in this thread reflect business everywhere.

In a firm where professional appearance is considered as a factor visable tattoos are an obstical for being hired.

In general if you are considering getting tattoed put it where work clotheing can cover it if you want to be hired anywhere.

Also, I have never seen anyone with a face tattoo working at a conventional job, not even Mcdonald's.
    Oh man. You need to come to the Midwest Pro. Lot's of face tats here. Mostly on contract locators, bore crew employees and yes, some McDonalds.

Years of Experience

Lots of tattoos where I'm from. I love tattoos and would have dual full sleeves if I wasn't such a cheap bastard. Most companies don't have a problem with tattoos unless they are the career criminal ones(Face,neck,hands).
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience
    17 years

I really don't have a tattoo hang up personally. I don't have any but my wife does and every one of my friends do. My thoughts are that, when making a first impression, a tattoo never helps you but they can hurt you depending on what type of person you're dealing with. If I'm asked for my opinion, I always suggest if you do get one, to be tasteful and get it in a place where it can be hidden in case you're dealing with opinionated people. They'll never be honest and tell you they don't like your tats, they'll just pick someone who may even be less qualified just because , right or wrong, they have the authority to make the pick.
    yahoo likes this.

I wouldn't think they would care about tattoos. Just some friendly advice, I would be careful about taking a job at Premier. From what I've been hearing, the company is not doing great in NJ. There are always damages for United Water, the employees are disgruntled, and I also heard they hired a supervisor (E.O.) who was fired at ECSM for trying to pull a scam with his wife...and Premier made him a supervisor! I also heard there is talk of the employees there forming a union because they're not being offered raises (despite getting new contracts), being forced to work and do on call with no down time the following day, and the new supervisor is asking them to be unsafe in the field to get more production. Maybe if they do unionize, these working conditions will change. Again, this is just friendly advice, I guess it depends on how bad you need the job. Good luck, friend!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I wouldn't think they would care about tattoos. Just some friendly advice, I would be careful about taking a job at Premier. From what I've been hearing, the company is not doing great in NJ. There are always damages for United Water, the employees are disgruntled, and I also heard they hired a supervisor (E.O.) who was fired at ECSM for trying to pull a scam with his wife...and Premier made him a supervisor! I also heard there is talk of the employees there forming a union because they're not being offered raises (despite getting new contracts), being forced to work and do on call with no down time the following day, and the new supervisor is asking them to be unsafe in the field to get more production. Maybe if they do unionize, these working conditions will change. Again, this is just friendly advice, I guess it depends on how bad you need the job. Good luck, friend!
    For a consideration on working at Premier the above may or may not be a factor. Overall Premier has a good reputation among the locators who work there. The biggest complaint I have heard is that if you are not part of the Old Boy system you won't get far, this applies to every place I have worked.

As to the supervisor "was fired at ECSM for trying to pull a scam with his wife" who knows, perhaps innocent until proven guilty. But there are always rumors and most are unfounded. The word in the industry is that I was fired from a previous employer for punching out company equipment with my fists, totally erroneous.

Often when a locate firm spans several jurisdictions, like Premier, one of their areas will fall into a slump and get damages, late tickets, etc. This is routine in the industry and happens at most firms. It is only a real problem when it goes company wide like some Big Firms Whose Names Cannot be Spoken.

I think if Premier moved into our region, and they are trying to expand, they would quickly strip the local locate firms of their experienced employees.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast