Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: New to Premier -- tattoos!?

Default New to Premier -- tattoos!?

Just got offered a job at Premier..I don't know any utility locators and didn't want to ask the guy offering me a job..

but, are tattoos acceptable in this line of work? I have "sleeves" (tattoos down full length of both arms) no neck/face or hand tattoos, just the sleeves that would be visible during work..

anyone see a problem with this??

Years of Experience

Default Re: New to Premier -- tattoos!?

wear a long sleeve shirt well after your 90 day probation period ....ha ! just in case ....
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

that's the common sense answer....

what I'm asking is for people to answer based on their experience..

do you see locators with visible tattoos?

do these companies care what you look like honestly? I'm clean cut and shaved, just a lot of tattoos, none offensive.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by Homer8507 View Post
    that's the common sense answer....

what I'm asking is for people to answer based on their experience..

do you see locators with visible tattoos?

do these companies care what you look like honestly? I'm clean cut and shaved, just a lot of tattoos, none offensive.
    It's usually not a big deal as long as it's not "too much" but they define that a lot differently depending on where you're from. If they already offered you the job then they must not mind. Just low profile it at first. If you're doing a good job, no one should bitch.

They offered me job but I had long sleeves on in interview so they haven't seen tattoos

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by Homer8507 View Post
    They offered me job but I had long sleeves on in interview so they haven't seen tattoos
    I've known a lot of tattooed locators. I haven't seen many with whole sleeves but once you're in, I think you'll be ok. I don't know how Premiere thinks but when you're in the field, you'll be alone or dealing with contractors who could care less as long as your marks are good. Their guys can be pretty inked up too. Unless you're in a really uppity area I can't see you spooking a homeowner enough to complain unless the artwork is offensive.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

You got good advice, keep to long sleeves until after probation period. Since it is winter you will have no trouble doing this and that is probably what you are going to wear anyway.

Ink is common among locators so you won't really stand out.

I wouldn't worry to much about it. If youre a solid locator and work hard there aren't many supervisors or managers for that matter who are going to care about it. I've known 3 guys who had sleeves and they were never hassled about it.

Years of Experience
    too many

I cant say about that company but the company i work for hasnt said anything to me for the years i have in. I have tatts up and down my arms and quite a few people I work with do also As long as your not throwing it in there face I wouldnt worry about it

Years of Experience
    30+

Like it was said before just cover for the first 90 days. I have hired some good locators who had tat's showing to their elbow. A lot of folks who work construction have tat's. We are a Professional group of people but not paid the professional wages.

If you were in a office environment then that might be a different outlook. A few of my personal friends who are sheriff and fire/medics have tat's to wrist.

Years of Experience

I don't see a problem with it. I know at least 3 or 4 locators with sleeve tats, one even has facial tats. If they hired you for the position originally, I don't think this is a game buster. As it was stated before, though, it depends on where you are.
    Just go out, do your job, and keep working towards damage free, and I doubt they will have a problem.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

If I can see your ink at your interview, I won't hire you. If you have, or get ink done while you work for me, it had better be able to be concealed with a t-shirt. My wife manages restaurants and won't hire anyone with visible ink. Ink is great and my wife has several huge pieces, none of which can be seen when she is dressed for work. My field and office employees are representatives of me and my company, I expect each of them to represent me in a professional manner every moment of every day. In turn, I do my best to provide them a top salary, great benefits package, the best equipment, a pay raise as they develop their skills and hopefully a bonus at the end of every year. I don't think that is asking too much. I truly feel bad for all of these young people today getting all of this visible ink done, they are going to be locked out of so many jobs for the rest of their lives, and I don't think they realize it.
    Mark likes this.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

I just think it's dumb employers consider this....it's like discriminating because of someone's color or disability...yes, tattoos are optional, but who decided that a person without tattoos could do a better job then someone with tattoos?? That person is the dumb one, or too close-minded. I am pretty tattooed, but also have an Associate's Degree and a dual Bachelor's.

Years of Experience

Hey don't forget about the spikes threw the nose and disks in the ear lobes and pierced body parts!!!!! WTF?????
    Mark likes this.

Just because someone has tattoos doesn't mean they have everything you just mentioned...I have none. I can still be professional...all it takes is long sleeves. I was a store manager at Kroger for 5 years with these tattoos.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast