Thread: new member

Thumbs up new member

Hey guys, just wanted to take a few minutes to introduce myself to this great forum. I have been reading the posts on this site for a while, and thought to myself how cool that their is a forum where some of us out in the field locating utilities can vent, share information and/or collaborate on whatever the case may be. Their is definitely an "art" to locating utilities outside of locate theory. I have been locating in Washington state for almost 10 years, did contract locating for half of my career, private side for other half and plan on being in the business for a while

I wish I had known about this site before, because collaborating with other like-minded folks can indeed help all of us in the field learn more! Besides I haven't been able to find any good material on locate theory directly as it applies to us locators, outside of some of the contract locate training books.

Glad to be a part of the forum, and look forward to learning and sharing my thoughts with all of you slackers with paint on your boots!

-Locates with a cape!

Years of Experience
    30+

Default Re: new member

Cape,

Welcome to the Vine. Us Viner's always welcome fellow locators and owners and management. Some will prob ally disagree with the management part though. I believe all have a say. Speak your mind, ask questions and you will get answers. Welcome again.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Welcome aboard from another Washingtonian. hmmmm, 10 years.....i'm guessing you did time for Locating inc?

mke

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the site. I too looked for publications on locating and couldn't find any. I even searched Amazon.com for locating books and found none. I wonder how many would sell if one was written.

Visit often, post often.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

yeah did the locating inc bandwagon to start, you can probably guess where i went from their just based on contract history alone until i hopped to the private side....i have read lots of posts on here, and am scowering the database because of all the good information/perspective....i am willing to bet that i know you from one path or another mke....pm me if you get some time, would love to chat with a local

Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    I even searched Amazon.com for locating books and found none. I wonder how many would sell if one was written.
    http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-L...8849086&sr=8-1

Product Description
    The complete book on how to locate buried pipes & cables using the standard electro-magnetic equipment manufactured by RadioDetection, Subsite (Ditch Witch), Rycom, Schoenstedt, Vivax, Subsurface Instruments, Goldak, and others. A must for any utility locator training course, including the first actual curriculum for technicians. Includes detailed explanations of conductive, inductive and passive locating, as well as in-depth information on the set-up and operation of the machine, the basics of electro-magnetic geophysics, marking procedures, telephone cables, fiber optics, coaxial cable, power lines, traffic wires, natural gas, water pipes, sanitary sewer, storm sewer, and even private utilities. The manual also includes explanations of cathodic protection, completing a curcuit, the oblong field theory, electric phase, RTU's, One Call systems, ATMS, antiquated utilities, common terms, acronyms, related organizations, and much, much more.

Product Details

* Paperback: 456 pages
    * Publisher: BookSurge Publishing (March 11, 2009)
    * Language: English
    * ISBN-10: 1439223343
    * ISBN-13: 978-1439223345
    * Product Dimensions: 10 x 7 x 1.2 inches
    * Shipping Weight: 2 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
    * Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
    * Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #2,169,342 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)

There are no customer reviews yet.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

WOW... nice catch. Did you see the prices on them. Look at the used prices...

1 for $111.47 and the other for $199.31
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

So, do you think the guy who wrote the book on Locating would charge more than other places?

http://www.roughcountrylocating.com/#

And it states "If we can't find the utility line you need then no one can. What's more, if we can't find the line, then there is no charge!"

I don't know how one can do privates with this garantee.

I'm forever finding lines that won't carry tone. It wouldn't take a contractor much time to figure this out and get most of the locates done before sending him on a line that won't locate.

mke

Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Years of Experience

I think he means if he can't find that particular line in question, then there is no charge for the time that he tried to find it for that individual line only. Or so I think.

Does anyone else find it counter-intuitive that the owner of the company so openly declares right on the main page of his website that there is no universal and official certification required for locating buried utility pipes? It almost sounds like this statement is directed at his own company.

Looks like a ton of sweet equipment though. Nice find on the author's website!