Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By ProfessionalLocator
  • 1 Post By Mke
  • 2 Post By Wingfoot
  • 1 Post By paintitnow

Thread: new locator alert

Years of Experience

Default new locator alert

Hello all i just got hired in at usic in Mi and i start my first day on monday this is my first job in this industry but im hoping to learn a whole lot and work hard

Years of Experience

Default Re: new locator alert

Good luck.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Browse through the old messages, lots of info there.

Years of Experience

welcome to the vine dude !!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Default New Locator Alert

Quote Originally Posted by locate4MI View Post
    Hello all i just got hired in at usic in Mi and i start my first day on monday this is my first job in this industry but i'm hoping to learn a whole lot and work hard
    Greetings locate4MI! - I welcome your membership to the Cable Vine! Many years ago I attended a 6-week-long Goodyear sales training class in Akron, Ohio. There were attendees from all over North America. I met a cool dude from Canada and asked him where he lived in Canada. He told me he lived in Ontario, 20 miles south of Detroit! WTF? I had to look at a map to understand his logic.

Hey, locate4MI, I work for USIC in Kansas City and have 20 years of locating with them. I was taught by many mentors during my formative years of locating. Each time I worked with a fellow locator who had more tenure/knowledge than myself, I wore their ass slick asking questions and forcing them to teach me how to properly read prints. I figured if I did not learn something new each time we met, then it was time wasted for both of us..................... just sayin.'

The best advice I can give you, as a Noob, is get a mentor. Finding a locator with their own territory that has 2 to 3 years of field experience is the best choice for a mentor. A senior locator with more than 5 years experience uses too many shortcuts to be a good teacher for a Noob. A 3 year locator only knows the basics and none of the scary and confusing shortcuts. You have to be proficient in the basics to be successful using shortcuts.

Warning - Do not use your area supervisor as a mentor! Most sups couldn't cut it as a locator so they became a boss. You will learn nothing from your boss and he/she will just slow you down. Bosses make great armchair critics but can't read a print to save their ass..... Not all bosses are this way, but don't take a chance with yours.

Have your boss assign a good mentor for you on your team; one who you can bond to quickly. Ask your mentor to get you involved in their challenging project work as well as cluttered intersections as quickly as possible.

Ask as many questions here as you want. All the members of the 'Vine who are locators have been where you are now and are willing to help you. The first six months as a Noob will be tough because you will be learning your equipment, your prints and the business of digging. Trust me, locating utilities does get easier with time and proper teaching. Good Luck! Luv Ya Man!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

Forget the advice of finding a mentor. Find a rich older woman who needs a boy toy.

jyt
    Years of Experience

Hi, new member here. Opinions on which is better -RD or Vivax? references? Thanks

I too lived in Ontario, Canada in Windsor, South of Detroit. Now I live across Lake Ontario from Rochester, New York.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by jyt View Post
    Hi, new member here. Opinions on which is better -RD or Vivax? references? Thanks

I too lived in Ontario, Canada in Windsor, South of Detroit. Now I live across Lake Ontario from Rochester, New York.
    There are different models so the merits are debatable.

Overall the performance between the two are comparable.

My deciding factor is the Vivax is fragile and is always breaking down.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

PL... You shouldn't use the receivers to hammer in ground rods.

I haven't had any issues with the Vivax, but I don't use it as my main locator. I do use the Transmitter quite a bit and haven't had any issues.

It's really "6 of one and half a dozen of the other". For a real informed oppinion, we would need type of work that you are doing and how much wand time you are looking at.

mke

jyt
    Years of Experience

Hi Mke, I am locating water pipes/tracers & street/traffic lights. I've heard the Vivax Transmitters work well & batteries last longer. May I ask what your main locator is?

Jason

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    PL... You shouldn't use the receivers to hammer in ground rods.

I haven't had any issues with the Vivax, but I don't use it as my main locator. I do use the Transmitter quite a bit and haven't had any issues.

It's really "6 of one and half a dozen of the other". For a real informed oppinion, we would need type of work that you are doing and how much wand time you are looking at.

mke
    We used the vLoc as main locator. these things were constantly going in for repairs. Used it 60 to 80 hours a week. The transmitter was very water vulnerable, the least little moisture would knock it off line. The receiver would work in a light rain but was not well water sealed. It built water up inside and would corrode so bad it would get sent back from repair a "retired" which meant un-repairable.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Hi Mke, I am locating water pipes/tracers & street/traffic lights. I've heard the Vivax Transmitters work well & batteries last longer. May I ask what your main locator is?

Jason
    Hey Jason,

the majority of my locates are done with the old metrotech 810 Attachment 1525

Depending on the water system you are locating, you may want to look at a locator that can induce a little bit better then either the Vivax or RD. They both can induce, but i've heard stories that they stopped putting in the higher frequencies needed for induction onto the transmitters..... If induction isn't something you have to worry about though (if all your waterlines have tracer wire or great conductivity), you can easily run one or the other of the RD or Vivax. We went Vivax simply due to local support. The RD reps were not receptive to our needs.

mke
    jyt likes this.

Years of Experience

Default New locator alert

Hi, new member here. Opinions on which is better - RD or Vivax? references? Thanks

Greetings jyt! I am a United States Infrastructure Corp locator. I control a small urban territory within Kansas City proper where I am responsible for 14 separate utilities. I carry in my truck the Radiodetection, the McLaughlin Verifier G2 Digital Locator, Fisher Split-Box & an ancient Rycom 8831 walking stick. I have a broken Pipehorn in reserve and I don't want to talk about it.

I held in my hand a Vivax prototype receiver years ago to evaluate. It was handed to me with an external antenna broken off. Needless to say, it didn't work. I see the current version of the Vivax receiver does not have the external antenna that I was given, and that is good.

I have been a Radiodetection (RD) locator every day for more than 20 years. I use my RD on everything first; back yards, front yards, intersections & long distance right-of-way jobs. I like the RD because I can ramp it down for shallow drops and such. Then I can ramp it up, if need be, as the challenge arises. The RD works well for me finding every utility accurately. If I need to throw down a transmitter for induction on my large gas and stubborn water lines, that's when I pullout what is left in my arsenal.

I am using the RD8000 receiver with the 10-watt RD TX-10 transmitter. I rarely use more than 2 watts of transmitter power on any locate. I favor the RD8000 receiver because it is lightweight, durable and very accurate. The new RD 7000 series is as lightweight, durable and as accurate as the 8000 series but with fewer bells & whistles. The RD 3-watt TX3, the 5-watt TX5 & the 10-watt TX10 transmitters are very durable. The Radiodetection Transmitter Rechargeable Lithium Battery Pack Kit is worth its weight in gold.

For 16 years I used the RD 2000T1 1-watt transmitter. The RD T1 is also lightweight, durable and demonstrates long D-cell battery life. The RD T1 transmitter was my favorite. My company refused to replace the last RD T1 I burned up hooking up to the hot leg of a 110-volt street light feed.

20 years ago I was taught by an instructor how to use the Radiodetection RD400 and the Radiodetection T1 transmitter. Every piece of equipment since, and there has been many, I use YouTube to learn how to get maximum benefit from each piece.

It is my opinion the Radiodetection is the equipment to buy. There MIGHT be something out there just as good as a Radiodetection, but there is none better.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    orangeboots and jyt like this.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

I use a RD7000 and do not have issues with batteries, unless a bad batch of batteries. I use it in 640hz and one bar for power and I turn the volume off. This helps me not replace the batteries as often. This set up will get me through most of my locates.
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by paintitnow View Post
    I use a RD7000 and do not have issues with batteries, unless a bad batch of batteries. I use it in 640hz and one bar for power and I turn the volume off. This helps me not replace the batteries as often. This set up will get me through most of my locates.
    Great tip! I'll be taking note of this as well.