Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ProfessionalLocator

Thread: new locator alert

Years of Experience

Default new locator alert

Hello all i just got hired in at usic in Mi and i start my first day on monday this is my first job in this industry but im hoping to learn a whole lot and work hard

Years of Experience

Default Re: new locator alert

Good luck.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Browse through the old messages, lots of info there.

Years of Experience

welcome to the vine dude !!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Default New Locator Alert

Quote Originally Posted by locate4MI View Post
    Hello all i just got hired in at usic in Mi and i start my first day on monday this is my first job in this industry but i'm hoping to learn a whole lot and work hard
    Greetings locate4MI! - I welcome your membership to the Cable Vine! Many years ago I attended a 6-week-long Goodyear sales training class in Akron, Ohio. There were attendees from all over North America. I met a cool dude from Canada and asked him where he lived in Canada. He told me he lived in Ontario, 20 miles south of Detroit! WTF? I had to look at a map to understand his logic.

Hey, locate4MI, I work for USIC in Kansas City and have 20 years of locating with them. I was taught by many mentors during my formative years of locating. Each time I worked with a fellow locator who had more tenure/knowledge than myself, I wore their ass slick asking questions and forcing them to teach me how to properly read prints. I figured if I did not learn something new each time we met, then it was time wasted for both of us..................... just sayin.'

The best advice I can give you, as a Noob, is get a mentor. Finding a locator with their own territory that has 2 to 3 years of field experience is the best choice for a mentor. A senior locator with more than 5 years experience uses too many shortcuts to be a good teacher for a Noob. A 3 year locator only knows the basics and none of the scary and confusing shortcuts. You have to be proficient in the basics to be successful using shortcuts.

Warning - Do not use your area supervisor as a mentor! Most sups couldn't cut it as a locator so they became a boss. You will learn nothing from your boss and he/she will just slow you down. Bosses make great armchair critics but can't read a print to save their ass..... Not all bosses are this way, but don't take a chance with yours.

Have your boss assign a good mentor for you on your team; one who you can bond to quickly. Ask your mentor to get you involved in their challenging project work as well as cluttered intersections as quickly as possible.

Ask as many questions here as you want. All the members of the 'Vine who are locators have been where you are now and are willing to help you. The first six months as a Noob will be tough because you will be learning your equipment, your prints and the business of digging. Trust me, locating utilities does get easier with time and proper teaching. Good Luck! Luv Ya Man!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Forget the advice of finding a mentor. Find a rich older woman who needs a boy toy.