Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By The Big-E
  • 1 Post By Mke

Thread: New Locating Company in Central Florida looking to consult and new business

Years of Experience

Default New Locating Company in Central Florida looking to consult and new business

I am concentrating on private utility locates for now.
    Tired of locating for peanuts and putting up with USIC underbidding everyone and suffering at the bottom of the food chain. Putting our money where our mouth is.
    We purchased new locating equipment, a ground penetrating radar, sewer and pipeline camera, a utility locating vehicle, we have all the proper insurances and bonding in place, we just became incorporated, waiting on vehicle signage and vehicle insurance to come through, our website will be up and running soon.

One guy has the money(deep pockets) the other has locating knowledge/experience

I don't want to read anymore negativity in here about the locating industry. I'm just looking for motivation and consulting to start drumming up some new business in Central Florida and beyond. Who should I hook up with? Where can I go to start passing out/emailing brochures or who can I start cold calling?

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New Locating Company in Central Florida looking to consult and new business

Good luck and don't forget to add your company to the Directory
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: New Locating Company in Central Florida looking to consult and new business

I know little of Florida.
    Was there a couple of years ago and the operator of a small SUE firm told me that for locate firms to do work for the companies putting in roads under jurisdiction of Florida Department of Transportation they needed to be certified by FDOT.

He had said the FDOT sites were the most steady work. Sounds that door is tough to get one's foot into

Years of Experience

Good luck with your endeavor. I love locating in Central Florida, great weather, good people, nice equipment... in other words I don't work for USIC...lol
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

can't help you bud . but Good Luck with your goals .
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Private locating is all about "word of mouth" references. You can cold call all the companies that you want to. You may even get a bite from time to time, but I wouldn't spend too much time and effort with that. Concentrate on local contractors associations or Utility commissions. If you are going to try to cold call, I would do private construction companies, especially ones that you see job trailers for on big construction sites.

The best advice I can give would be to be good at what you do. Know your limitations and be honest about those limitations. The worst thing you can do is send somone out on site who isn't prepared and try to get paid for insufficient work. That will kill a start up.

mke
    zen likes this.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

These days a website is very important to any service company. Make it look good.

zen
    Years of Experience

if you go the SUE route, know there are big companies out there. inframap, cardno, KCI. my suggestion in regards to them is go to local surveying companies, engineering firms that do design bid projects. I am sure there is some of them that are tired of the sue firms prices. most of all, don't start out thinking you charge an arm and a leg to work. stay under a 1.00 a foot. if you are a good utility locator, you should be able to walk out to a job and see what is out there to give a fairly close estimate. look for a utilivac system. florida is the perfect state for this type of vacuum excavation equipment. they are out there used I know, I have bought 2 recently. keep your test hole prices around 250 a hole for something around 0 - 7 ft then go up by 50.00 a foot. don't charge for dry holes. another benefit is that working with engineering firms is that if you play it right, they will sign and seal your work. if not, be prepared to get a PE on your staff. every dot I have worked with requires all sue utility mapping be signed and sealed by either a PE or PS.