Thread: new to locating

Default new to locating

Been working with engineering/surveying companies for about 10 years, started out just drafting but went towards the surveying side of the business, went thru the state apprenticeship program for surveyors and am working towards my license.

My current employer was taking a long hard look at what we were paying others for locates on our jobs....figured maybe we could save a substantial amount of money by bringing that work in house.

So thats my story. Im new to locating, just got back from the 5 day staking u course in Manteno. I feel pretty confident to get started so i will see what happens in the field! Will mostly be focusing on locates for our own projects for a while.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: new to locating

Welcome to the world of finding stuff you can't see.

What did you think of the course? Not many people have posted about the Staking U course, if any. Just curious.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience
    20+

Quote Originally Posted by friction View Post
    Been working with engineering/surveying companies for about 10 years, started out just drafting but went towards the surveying side of the business, went thru the state apprenticeship program for surveyors and am working towards my license.

My current employer was taking a long hard look at what we were paying others for locates on our jobs....figured maybe we could save a substantial amount of money by bringing that work in house.

So thats my story. Im new to locating, just got back from the 5 day staking u course in Manteno. I feel pretty confident to get started so i will see what happens in the field! Will mostly be focusing on locates for our own projects for a while.
    Welcome to the site.Your employer like many other surveyors and engineering firms think that locating is a joke and that its easy to do.Both you and your employer are about to find out that locating public and private utilities takes many years of in the field training.They wanna do it in house so they can try to charge clients the amount they were paying a pro locator and add that to their cost and probally pay you a low rate.Good Luck

I don't know anything 'bout that course but most classroom training only scratches the surface. The fun is in the field. You'll be experiencing new scenarios for a couple years. The vast number of variables affecting a locate keeps it challenging and interesting. Good luck. I hope the locate-bug bites you.

Years of Experience

Ah the fun and exciting world of locating . Welcome . I have been out of it awhile , like most people on here have heard me whine about....lol.
    it can be a real good job and as most here will tell you , you will see strange and funny things .
    I was never classroom trained , and would like to have been , but i enjoyed my work as a locator . I liked the challenge of each new site , esp. when doing private locating . Meeting new people and always learning some new trick to help me out . And there are many tricks to be learned out there . And you also have many , many years of exp. here to help you out . I aint the smart one here , maybe the oldest one....lol but all , i think , that are on here will do there best to help someone out if they have a qustion . Good luck and enjoy the world of the painted boot....lol

Welcome to the site! There is alot of knowledge lurking around here. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Years of Experience

welcome to the VINE !!!!!!!!!!!!!! post often !!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

A surveyor, engeneer, and locator? Holy crap! You're gonna be awsome!

heh, heh, heh...

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    Welcome to the world of finding stuff you can't see.

What did you think of the course? Not many people have posted about the Staking U course, if any. Just curious.
    Our guys have attended a few different training courses and it seems that staking u does a pretty good job covering fundamentals and theory for those with limited or no experience.

Not a bad place to start. Wish you all the best, and feel free to ask any questions about issues you will encounter. Despite some negative posts here the group is really experienced and more than helpful.

By the by, what machine out machines are you using?

Banned

Thanks for increasing my knowledge.Your information very helpful for me.

jacksmith

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jacksmith View Post
    Thanks for increasing my knowledge.Your information very helpful for me.

jacksmith
    "is"... it should be "your information is very helpful for me."

and should it be "For me"? or "To me"? I think both can be acceptable but not sure which one is proper.

I shouldn't critique, since I failed english more then I passed it.

Years of Experience
    17 years

It's a bad translation. You type a sentence into Google Translate in your own language and then copy/paste the translation into a forum. They usually don't come out right but you can get the point across.