Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wingfoot

Thread: New to the industry.

Years of Experience

Default New to the industry.

Well, I'm happy and nervous at the same time. I past my final test Friday and will hit the field Monday. I may be in here everyday asking questions of the pros. I hope that is okay.

Years of Experience

Default Re: New to the industry.

Greetings geno! - Welcome to the Cable Vine! Is that Mooresville North Carolina, Alabama, Indiana, Missouri or Canada? You don't have to answer that if you want........ just askin'.

Ask as many questions here as you want. All the members of the 'Vine who are locators have been where you are now and are willing to help you. The first six months as a Noob will be tough because you will be learning your equipment, your prints and the business of digging. It does get easier with time and proper teaching.

The best advice I can give to a Noob is get a mentor. Finding a locator with their own territory that has 2 to 3 years of field experience is the best choice for a mentor. A senior locator with more than 5 years experience uses too many shortcuts to be a good teacher for a Noob. A 3 year locator only knows the basics and none of the scary and confusing shortcuts. You have to be proficient in the basics to be successful using shortcuts.

Warning - Do not use your area supervisor as a mentor! Most sups couldn't cut it as a locator so they became a boss. You will learn nothing from your boss and he/she will just slow you down. Bosses make great armchair critics but can't read a print to save their ass..... Not all bosses are this way, but don't take a chance with yours.

Have your boss assign a good mentor for you on your team; one who you can bond to quickly. Ask your mentor to get you involved in their challenging project work as well as cluttered intersections as quickly as possible.

I've got 17 years of locating and my mentors were of enormous worth for me....... Good Luck........

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    daman1 likes this.

Years of Experience

Sorry forgot to put that NC. The good thing about it is that is where I have lived all my life. So I know about every street there.

Years of Experience
    17 years

A 3 year locator only knows the basics and none of the scary and confusing shortcuts. You have to be proficient in the basics to be successful using shortcuts.
    Best line of the week, Wing. Very good advice.

I've trained guys and realized that I was showing them a shortcut when they had no idea what was being cut and why. I remember being new and copying the shortcuts of my mentor and getting a hit. I decided he was an idiot and vowed to do it the long way from that day on. A few years later, I wound up doing all the cuts that I swore not to do but only because I had a real world understanding of why it would work in certain situations. Turns out he wasn't an idiot. He just knew what he was doing.
    So that's my advice too, geno. Do your job by the book until it becomes second nature. Then you can get a feel for what works and what doesn't. Also, your supervisor's goal is to get his area as profitable as possible. His bonuses are based on that. Don't get browbeat or goaded into going faster than you are comfortable. That's when mistakes get made. You will not be measured by your production as much as your damage ratio. Keep that as close to zero as possible and you'll have a much better chance of making it.

Years of Experience

welcome to the VINE Geno !!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Welcome aboard and ask all the questions you want.
    "Change does not always equal progress."