Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New guy in training for USIC

Years of Experience
    17 years

Default Re: New guy in training for USIC

I think the biggest mistakes new locators usually make is when things first start picking up. When it gets busy and your workload starts piling up is when the stress starts. New locators will begin to stress out thinking they need to get their numbers up to show that they can be productive to their bosses. The temptation to short-cut or even pencilwhip a ticket can kick in. Supervisors have that special way of making you feel insecure about your production. DON'T RUSH THROUGH A TICKET just because your having trouble keeping up. It may work for a while but sooner or later the odds will beat you. Locators are generally rated for their damage history before their production history. The thought of causing some kids dad an injury or worse is my biggest motivator to get the job right. It won't matter if you've done a thousand tickets this month if you get an at-fault damage. The stress can be enough to make you a nut case if you let it. Not having a boss looking over your shoulder, being your own boss, or furnished company trucks went out with the digital age so if that's what you're in it for you may be disappointed. It can be very rewarding if you can deal with the non-locate company issues that constantly bog you down. Always stay in contact with the excavators !!! They are the first ones to do something totally wrong and then try to pin it on you. Document every detail. COVER YOUR ASS. When something goes wrong, the excavator, the utilities, and often your own leadership will try to stick you with the at-fault. PICTURES, PICTURES,PICTURES!!!. They are your only real evidence that you've done the job right. Otherwise no one may believe you. Especially if your new.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

besides pictures, another thing is document, document, document. Put something into an email to a supervisor or HR. I use to also CC in into my private email incase I am locked out of my work account. Vacations or time off, if you need assistance on a locate are some examples. Esculate your problem with a locate to your supervisor. Contractors are not the only one that like to throw a locator under the bus. If you speak with a contractor and he changes something get him to sign documentation. If they hit something his memory will fade. You will get a call month down the road asking when you spoke or such and they assume you will remember everything. Use the notes section on the ticket to put it these things. Put down the nuumber, who and what day and time you called them in the notes. Anyhting they say that will cover your ass later.

Thanks for the good advice.

Ive got to the point where I record my phone conversations with contractors. Hard to get them to sign something over the phone. Ive even thought about recording the conversation when I meet with a contractor cause not all contractors are so willing to sign a meet sheet.

Not sure how it will play out if I ever have to use one of the recordings but its better than nothing.

Years of Experience
    30+

As long as you disclose you are recording them. I am sure it would be the same in all states. It is here in Florida.

Here in Texas only 1 party to a conversation has to be aware of a recording devise being used.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Same here in Wisconsin. As long as 1 party is aware of the recording it is ok. I keep telling myself to get a little digital recorder to keep in my pocket when I meet with the road crews in the morning but I still haven't got one.

Years of Experience

I tell folks that everytime I see them...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12