Thread: new to forums

Default new to forums

hello eveyone I am a locator from Ga and am here to learn the in and out of locates i am still a rookie with 2 years exp.any tips for a radiodetection rd 4000?

Default Re: new to forums

Welcome to the vine 229. The 4000 is a heavy ass piece, but I'll take it. It's my primary locating equipment. I've used 8 different locators, and like this the best if I have to mark multiple utilities. Now there are some new ones on the market that I'm now just seeing for the first time, but for overall value, I cannot complain.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

Welcome to thecablevine. I hope you find all sorts of good information.

Years of Experience

Welcome to the vine, take some advice from an old fart. take that rd and throw it in the river............only kidding the 4000 is a sweet piece of equipment. it will quickley become the only machine you will come to rely on. Are there better locators out there not in my opinion. I believe the 4000 is the most well rounded tool you will have. it is the closest locator to an alround reciever you will find. It converts to fault finder, sonet locator, em locator with ease (as long as you co. get you the right accessories) I would trust nothing els on fibers. You will here that the metro tech or subsite is better for coper or fiber or this is better then that. the truth is ,the 4000 even though a little heavy can do it all where most of the others are limited to thier abilities. You will see a lot of locators will carry two or three diffrent locators but the guy who has the RD usually only uses the RD. Best piece of advice I can give you is do not get political, make your own opinions of what is happening around you. Stay away from NEGITIVE INFLUANCES, and thank God every morning you have a JOB. GOOD LUCK.........
    TO FORGIVE IS DIVINE BUT TOO FORGET IS STUPID

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by NINJA View Post
    Welcome to the vine. The 4000 is a sweet piece of equipment. it will quickly become the only machine you will rely on. The 4000 is the most well rounded tool you will [own]. It is the closest to an all round receiver you will find. The guy who has the RD typically uses only the RD.

Best advice I can give you is do not get political. Make your own opinions of what is happening around you. Stay away from NEGATIVE INFLUENCES, and thank God every morning you have a JOB. GOOD LUCK.........
    Hey 229 - Welcome to theVine! - I ditto NINJA on ALL points - Please, post often and ask your locator buddies to join us...............

I have 11+ years in the field with the lighter-weighted version of the RD4000 - the RD400. I have many miles of experience with my RD with very few at-faults. None of my at-faults have been equipment related. I have always carried competitive equipment with me, but I rarely pull it out and light it up.

The 2 RD receivers completely differ in sensitivity. The RD4000 is a "kick ass" power mode receiver! To expound upon the sensitivity, a solid tone I pick up with the RD400 in f8 at 35 gain, the RD4000 in f8 will be at 08 gain; with the gain needing to be reduced even more. The RD4000 is better than the RD400 in using the 512 frequency as an all-around, longer-distance drop & cable locator.

I suggest using the lighter-weighted RD 1-watt transmitter as your daily runner. Then compliment it with the heavier-weighted, more-powerful RD 3-watt transmitter that comes with the RD4000 for signaling longer-distance cable-fiber runs, stubborn gas mains and water mains. Also, with 2 transmitters, you can run one frequency out on one line, then jump to another frequency to come back on a second line.

3-Watt RD4000 Transmitter

------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Wingfoot; May 11th, 2009 at 12:57 AM.

Years of Experience

Salutations. Welcome to the Vine.

I could go on and on about the RD, but Ninja and Wing have both pretty much said it all. It is, and always will be my primary weapon of choice in targeting utilities.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Years of Experience

welcome to the vine!!!! ask plenty of questions get plenty of answers!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Welcome to the Show 229
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

how the hell are you a rookie with 2 years experience? lol well anyway welcome and ask away

Years of Experience

Welcome to the vine...seeing as your feet are already wet, I have no need (or place, seeing as I'm 15 months and you're two years) to give any tips here...

...as for the RD, hopefully you have one with 65.5.

The Rd 4000 is a heavy overrated piece of crap. With all the wisdom at that company, you'd think they would have made a good box for that weird shaped transmitter so you could close it in the rain, like the 400 & 433 model.

Thought for the dayWhatever you think of me, you WILL remember this and think of me when you least expect it)

"Locate Wrong=Locate Right"

an example of this can be found in phoenix'(sorry, you're a chick aren't you?)thread in "Tech Talk"

Years of Experience

Advance, I'm not sure I understood the second 1/2 of your post, but I agree about the wieght of the RD. It is heavy, and the case is porly designed.

I never realy got into the RD line, but a lot of guys swear by them. I guess it's all what you get used to. I have always had Metrotech, Subsite and Pipehorn.

Out of the three, the subsite is probably the closest to an RD, and I really like that machine, but for general purpose, it's Metrotech for me.
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.