Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the Forum

Years of Experience

Default New to the Forum

Hi, all.

I'm a new member, though I spent about 11 years in the industry. I've spent the past 2 years working for one of the world's largest financial institutions but have been kicking around the idea of coming back. I'm bored!

Just out of curiosity, what are the biggest challenges you all are facing today? I would venture to guess that micromanagement is close to the top of the list, given the tight profit margins in the business. Anything else???

Thanks.

Default Re: New to the Forum

Welcome Mojo. There is quite a bit of micromanagement, but I still have enough wiggle room to do my job.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

welcome mojo...post often!!!! my biggest challenge is getting used to big brother!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Welcome aboard.

Welcome to the Vine ! ! !

So true, I must Agree with the guys... i must, i must. This big brother guy, I got to tell ya man, he is one pain in the a**. With all these rules and like Sting from The Police.... I'll be watching you, I'll be watching you.

Years of Experience

So....when I was in the business, we had gps tracking on the trucks. It was a horribly inefficient system that ended up being scrapped in the end. Have things gotten worse? I seam to remember someone telling me that one of the larger companies had installed cameras. Is that really going on, and what purpose does it serve?

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the show Mojo.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

Salutations.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Welcome Mojo. Yes. Some have installed cameras. They are set of by a set g force applied, or by a jarring force or by excesive vibrations. They are always running, but they only save to memory about 10 seconds before and after one of the above items occurs. The idea is that they are useful from a fleet management perspective to learn what happens in the event of an accident or something (but other uses can always be found from a tool such as this)
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by GPGrasshopper View Post
    Welcome Mojo. Yes. Some have installed cameras. They are set of by a set g force applied, or by a jarring force or by excesive vibrations. They are always running, but they only save to memory about 10 seconds before and after one of the above items occurs. The idea is that they are useful from a fleet management perspective to learn what happens in the event of an accident or something (but other uses can always be found from a tool such as this)
    just to add to your information ....a fact... most accidents here... the camera did not go off!!!! that is a fact ..not what i heard!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

So, if I understand correctly, it's not neccessarily an issue of "Big Brother" watching you. It's used primarily for a Risk Mgmt tool? Any other issues I should know about before throwing my hat back into the ring? Has is the economy affecting ticket volumes? Are you continuing to see the utility providers driving down prices (resulting in an even tighter profit margin)?

I appreciate the help, guys. This would be a huge decision for me; one that I don't take lightly.

Depends on where you are. In my area, ticket volume dropped, but not as bad as in other places. Given the circumstances, I'm actually surprised volumes didn't drop that much. New home construction tickets are down, with the tank in the housing market, but there are things like FTTP still feeding a bunch of tickets into the system pretty steady.
    As for the utility provider price deal, I don't know. I have heard rumors about ticket price, but have no real information. That is left to people who make a lot more than me.
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

I hear tell localy where i am there are some laptops out in the field that have built in cams and they are being activated remotely by management to see what the locator is doing. It has happend...... And as far as the GPS it is in fact a pain in the a@# to have your sup show up while you are locating to make sure ur er brake is set and your cones are out and want to set and talk for a frickin hour because he has NOTHING else to do...literally!!!!!!!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by MOJO View Post
    Hi, all. I'm a new member, though I spent about 11 years in the industry. I've spent the past 2 years working for one of the world's largest financial institutions but have been kicking around the idea of coming back. I'm bored!
    If you are coming back as a locator, with that many years of field experience, you would be an asset to any team and you need to come back.. You would be the Prodigal Son.

Now if you are coming back as a support staff type or as a management type position, I would prefer you to stay in your cubicle at one of the world's largest financial institutions and let someone within the ranks of field locator get the chance to move up the system. To me, a banker is a "bottom feeder" and not worth my time....... Just my 2 cents worth........ Luv ya Man!

-------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    Now if you are coming back as a support staff type or as a management type position, I would prefer you to stay in your cubicle at one of the world's largest financial institutions and let someone within the ranks of field locator get the chance to move up the system. To me, a banker is a "bottom feeder" and not worth my time....... Just my 2 cents worth........ Luv ya Man!

-------------------------------------------------

LOL !!!

I was looking back through some of my old posts and saw this. I don't care who you are...that's friggin' funny!

Actually, I'm not a banker (although I do carry some licensure). I run process improvement and project management for one of the business units. I've been using this forum as a way of staying in touch with the industry, just in case I do make the move. I've still got friends in the game, but this venue gives me an idea of what's happening in other parts of the country.
    Last edited by MOJO; March 9th, 2010 at 02:16 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast