Thread: New to everything.

Default New to everything.

Hello cable vine!

New around here and new to locating all together. After submitting my resume and taking a preliminary test, I have a scheduled interview very soon with one of the big names in the industry. Apparently I have the qualities they're looking for as I have no experience in locating or even utilities. Without knowing too much about the position at first, I applied because it appealed to my interests of keeping busy, working outdoors, and money.

My history is varied and not much at all relates to locating. My strong history and ability to work with computers is probably what made me appealing, possibly my experience in transportation as well.

I've done my research and suspect I know what I'm getting myself into, but any tips for the interview and possible future as a locator are definitely welcome!

Thank you for being a part of this community and contributing to the resource, hopefully I will be valuable to the vine soon!

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New to everything.

Welcome to the site and to Utility Locating. You sound like you are ahead of the game and know what locating is all about. I'm sure you have read through some of the posts as well.

Before your interview I just want to make sure you read the following post. It is VERY IMPORTANT you read it. You may have already but I just wanna make sure...

Are you applying for a locator job???

Good luck and post often.

Steve
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Good luck with the adventure! Welcome.

Years of Experience

Seriously, and I mean this! Just sit there, say nothing and have your finger up your nose.....
    Trust me, the next thing you'll be doing is spraying red, orange, blue, green, and yellow paint everywhere!!!

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by locatethis View Post
    Seriously, and I mean this! Just sit there, say nothing and have your finger up your nose.....
    Trust me, the next thing you'll be doing is spraying red, orange, blue, green, and yellow paint everywhere!!!
    Spraying paint? Hell, I thought you were instructing him on how to become a district manager.

Years of Experience
    30+

I hope the big company is not USIC!!! If so be ready to be treated like S*&T.

Welcome to the Vine. Keep us updated as to your status. This job is not for everyone. Your heart has to really be in too it. If you are just looking for a paycheck you might want to find something else.

I am a lifer. I have been doing this for over 26 years. I learn something new everyday, mostly good.

Years of Experience

welcome to the vine !!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Welcome to the vine and feel free to ask questions!!

Years of Experience

Welcome to the Vine! Post often, ask questions, laugh, cry, and even scream out loud if you want to! Trust me, it probably wouldn't surprise most of us on here if you screamed and pulled your hair out after getting into the field.
    What sort of tips are you looking for? I mean being honest in the interview is the best policy. Do you gave a problem working overtime? Do you enjoy problem solving? Do you like to be outside in all conditions? Do you feel comfortable being alone throughout the day? Do you like getting dirty?
    If your answer is no to pretty much all of these, then this isn't the right job for you. Problem solving should be the key factor for any hire at this point.
    If you have any questions, please ask, we may give you an answer....whether you like it or not! : )