Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Wil-Checkprivatelocating
  • 3 Post By Wingfoot

Thread: New to Cablevine (WI) Start-up on the Side

Years of Experience

Default New to Cablevine (WI) Start-up on the Side

I have heard so much about this site but never realized that it offered oppertunities too. So here I am posting a thread to get the word out to the fellow locators in WI. I have decided to do locating on the side. 21 years I have had a machine in my hand. I am not working for a locate company but I miss the challange of locating. Don't mistake that comment I love my current job love it. But I have to admit I loved locating. I know many of you do too,otherwise you wouldn't be in it. For me it was the lack of money,the numbers that were unrealstic and the micro managers who had no idea what challenging locating was about. So I had to move on .
    I have started Wil-Checkprivatelocatingllc, locating for all who have no idea what is even the ground.Also for those that know but thought when we showed up it would be located.
    So while out locating in Central Wisconsin you can give them my name .It would be much appreciated.
    Thanks Dawn Jarapko
    email-me jarapko00@msn.com
    Check my web site out @ Wil-Checkprivatelocatingllc.com or on Facebook

Years of Experience

Default Re: New to Cablevine (WI) Start-up on the Side

Good Luck bud !
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

You may want to contact the cheese head one call center to see if they maintain a list of private locating companies. We get about 1/4 of our work from the state one call referrals.

Years of Experience

Thanks orangeboots already did that.
    I'll take the luck from yahoo too.
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

You are in my neck of the woods practically. We have several cheesheads in here

Years of Experience

That's great, maybe you can do a fellow cheese-head a favor and pass my info along. When you get to a job and the homeowners asking about the private utilities.
    Wil-checkprivatelocatingllc.com

Years of Experience

Safety first we always say. Before digging, you should always know what’s below for the safety of you, your family, neighbors and the general public. There are numerous factors that could cause buried utility lines to shift and come closer to the surface. So even if you think you know where lines are, one free call can help avoid a potentially dangerous situation.
    It's that time of the year everyone,trying to get work completed. Protect the Private too.

Years of Experience

Greetings Wil-Check! Go Packers!

It is my gut feeling, if you are targeting homeowners for building a private locate business, you will be owning nothing more than a hobby business. I believe you will be hard pressed getting the $250.00+ required for your services rendered dealing only with homeowners. Most will counter by offering $25 for your services.

Forget about going after the little guy. There is no future (i.e MONEY) going in that direction. Instead, I suggest calling on the big commercial excavator companies, utility placement sub-contractors, horizontal & verticle boring firms, big apartment complexes, big retirement complexes, colleges, school districts, big hospital complexes, big manufacturing firms, sprinkler companies and I could keep on going. All these companies need a competent private locator on speed dial. Press-the-flesh (make some cold calls) and you will be amazed what can happen.

I also suggest considering water leak detection. Water departments nationwide always have leaks that require pinpoint detection. And there is BIG money here. This niche has few players and $500.00 a pop is not out-of-realm.

Don't promise more than you can deliver. Always make yourself available to work within their timetables. Please, DO NOT cheapen yourself by selling your services too low. Luv Ya Man! Good Luck!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Wingfoot; December 8th, 2015 at 10:46 PM.
    daman1, phoenix827 and Kramit69 like this.

Years of Experience

Thank You for the advice Wingfoot