Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new to this

Default Re: new to this

Quote Originally Posted by MIG4000 View Post
    Welcome to the vine dude post, post and post again!!!!
    ive been trying so far this site is like crack and I cannot get enough!!!!

Yeah, I just wish i had found it yeeears agooo My girlfriend and daughter get mad cus i hog the computer

Quote Originally Posted by MIG4000 View Post
    Yeah, I just wish i had found it yeeears agooo My girlfriend and daughter get mad cus i hog the computer
    Lmao because about 5mins ago my wife said "are you still playing on that cable v-smile thing??"

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Supertech View Post
    I am extremly new to this and I find it very interesting!!! I have grown a lot over the years and one thing I've learned about this thankless job...............
    Hey Supertech......... Welcome to theVine!

I am an 11+ year locator that respectfully disagrees about locating as a thankless profession.

First - My family is thankful for my paychecks. This is the most money I've ever made in my life!

Second - I am thankful for being a locator. The benefits are fantastic. I get to start when I want. I quit when I want. I work weekends if I want. I'm thankful to be outdoors rain or shine. I'm very thankful not to be stuck in a shitty cubicle all day long. I'm thankful to not have a boss peering over my shoulder every minute of the day while I'm working and cracking a whip. I'm thankful that all my utility reps are my close buddies. I'm thankful to drive a nice company vehicle to & from work (This alone is a $700+ per month benefit to me). I am thankful to have many weekends off to work at the races. I am very thankful to have my first line and second line supervisor's blessing to work 8+ NASCAR events every year; 2 NHRA drag race events; a sporty car event plus a little more time off with the wife & kids! I am thankful that locating is challenging enough to keep me focused all day; but has been the easiest job I've ever worked.

I have been supervised by the world's biggest bastards, losers and A#1 a-holes in most of my previous jobs. I have many, many stories..... But I am thankful to have always been treated fairly by my supervisors at SM&P.

Third - I am thankful for the camaraderie in my profession. Locators are like family to me. This includes the locators in the field and on theVine. I Luv 'em all Man............

Fourth - When you have a contractor tell you, "You're a good locator," then you know you've made it. That contractor is VERY thankful of YOUR work.

Anyway, I know I'm preaching to the choir. Please Supertech, post often.

-------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

Why Wingfoot...

...I think I'm getting all misty-eyed!...
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Wingfoot , easiest job you've ever had??!! Weekends off??!!! Working 8 + Nascar events and a little more time off with the wife and kids??!!! I would love to know what area you work because that sounds like a fantasy land from the way it is where I am. Constant stress , never enough time in the day , the rare weekend off except in the winter, and blackouts on when you can take vacation. This is not just me but is pretty much the general feeling of almost the entire district in which I work. If it's not the company on your back it's the contractors and if not them then it's the pissed off union workers of whom contract locating took work from and if not them then homeowners pissed off because someone is going to tear up their yard to install a catv line. I agree with Supertech that at times this job is very thankless because it has been my experience that locators are constantly under someone's gun. Do let me say that this is a very important job to the community and I take pride in what I do but sometimes you feel like the red-headed bastard step child that everyone likes to take out their aggression on. There definitely are some great benefits to this job , there is no arguing that, but I guess at the end of the day how "easy" this job is depends on where you work, my guess would be that you don't work in a thriving city enviroment where there are constant large projects and emergecnies. Oh and welcome Supertech.
    Life's a garden, dig it! - Joe Dirt

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Oh boy.....here we go.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Welcome aboard you might spend some time reading the old posts there are just a few loose screws out here

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    Oh boy.....here we go.
    Life's a garden, dig it! - Joe Dirt

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by 6feetunder View Post
    Wingfoot , easiest job you've ever had??!! Weekends off??!!! Working 8 + Nascar events and a little more time off with the wife and kids??!!! I would love to know what area you work because that sounds like a fantasy land.
    Hey 6footer - My "fantasy land" is based out of Kansas City. Right now I'm in Los Angeles at the NASCAR track in the desert 60 miles east of Hollywood. When this race is over Sunday, I'll be on my way to Las Vegas for another week at the NASCAR track there. While I'm taking my 2 week sabbatical from locating, there are 2 experienced people taking care of my ticket load every day that I'm gone. The senior locator next to my area is in charge of any challenging intersection tickets that would appear in my area while I'm gone. He will also be handling my 3 on-going major road construction projects. Adjusting the people load for my absence is no different than when any veteran locator takes off for a well deserved vacation. Life is great.......

---------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    Hey 6footer - My "fantasy land" is based out of Kansas City. Right now I'm in Los Angeles at the NASCAR track in the desert 60 miles east of Hollywood. When this race is over Sunday, I'll be on my way to Las Vegas for another week at the NASCAR track there. While I'm taking my 2 week sabbatical from locating, there are 2 experienced people taking care of my ticket load every day that I'm gone. The senior locator next to my area is in charge of any challenging intersection tickets that would appear in my area while I'm gone. He will also be handling my 3 on-going major road construction projects. Adjusting the people load for my absence is no different than when any veteran locator takes off for a well deserved vacation. Life is great.......

---------------------------------------------
    HOLY CRAP WING!!!!!! Are you guys short handed because I would love a transfer!!!! Sounds like you got it made. But as for the thankless job thing, What if you have a ticket that went late and a fiber gets cut in half. Do you think that your contractors, supervisor and dm would still be "thankful"? HELL NO THEY WOULD'NT YOUR ASS WOULD BE FIRED BEFORE YOU KNEW IT. Everyday after leaving this job this question is always there. Will I have a job tommorow? I don't care if you been here for 1 day or 20 years nobody is thankful for you,they are only thankful that they did'nt have to do it for you!!!!
    If you never had a late ticket then god bless you, and you are the best locator i've ever heard of.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Gettin deep in here.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    Gettin deep in here.
    Better put on your waders because I think the shits coming!!!!!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Supertech View Post
    HOLY CRAP WING!!!!!! What if you have a ticket that went late and a fiber gets cut in half. Do you think that your contractors, supervisor and dm would still be "thankful"? HELL NO THEY WOULD'NT! YOUR ASS WOULD BE FIRED BEFORE YOU KNEW IT.
    How very true............ I am thankful that I survived my only at-fault high profile damage that happened in 2002. I learned from that experience. Today, I don't worry about fibers (or anything) getting cut in half. I don't let tickets go late that have high profile utilities in conflict. I communicate with my contractors. When I walk away from a completed ticket, I KNOW it's completed correctly. I KNOW if anything gets whacked, I'm covered! I am always that confident with my work. ALWAYS! Someday you will be that confident also. I guarantee it can happen for you too! Trust me - when you get that confident with your work, you will realize locating is the easiest and most fun work you have ever done.......................

--------------------------------------------------

Wing, did you get promoted or something???
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast