Thread: More Aussies...!!

Default More Aussies...!!

Hi all,
    Found this forum a while ago and have just bought my first locator so this place is a gold mine of information, lively discussions and a good laugh. (I've been telling a few of the great jokes that I found on here)

I'm another one of the few Aussies on here, being based in Queensland on the Sunshine Coast. Our main work is digging holes, trenches and landscaping projects so a basic locator is really an essential tool. We operate mini diggers or mini skid steer loaders. Down here the main manufacturer is called Dingo Australia. These things are every where here but very few operators use locators and there is a lot of private (and public) pipe and cable getting cut every day. I don't see the need for cutting stuff that could easily be located so I have invested in a basic C.A.T. and Genny until I can afford a better unit and improve my skills and experience. I'll also be purchasing a traceable flexirod to use on sewer and storm water lines here and we should have most private properties covered.

I did a basic phone and power locate for a customer the other day. She had just had an excavator put an auger through her phone line a month or so before. It cost her $500 to replace the line, new trench etc so she was a bit nervous about more holes with an auger. She had marked her holes (for tree planting and fence posts) and was very happy when we showed the phone line running straight through a post hole on a different part of the property. Obviously we moved the hole and saved her the stress of another, unnecessary damage. Anyway, good to jump on here and say G'day.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: More Aussies...!!

Welcome aboard. Glad you found us.

Sounds like you made the customers day.

Personally, I believe that anyone with the motivation to start a serious locate company in Australia could do very well financially.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

G'day Ozloc

Welcome to the cablevine from one Aussie to another. Too right - there is some much useful info here that you will take with you to your locates, Tho its really is a different world in USA & everything about utilities & locating is all different , at the same time its all relevant (if that makes sense). Like the Yanks drive on the wrong side of the road they also paint utilities the wrong color. They use Orange paint for Comms and Red for Power, whilst we use Orange for Power & white for Comms (same color as our local conduit for that utility - seems logical to me) , bear stuff like that in mind and you will good. Also a bit of common sense is needed, I saw one topic about locating Fiber & one answer was to pierce the outer sheath with a drawing pin & clip onto that, Firstly there is no metallic sheild on any of our fiber cables & secondly if you got sprung doing that you would just about serve prison time !!
    That said, if you cant find what you want to know post a question & you get some sweet info back at you !!

Someone here might answer why the flow of Locating information is given so freely at the Cablevine, There is a Aussie Locating Forum that shall remain nameless and getting any answers or trying to start a discussion is like pulling teeth, Its like sharing ideas and information is a breach of national security or something - I just dont get it !! What was that ? did somone say n u l c a it dosent make sene !!

Hey Steve, you are right but the cultural differance downunder is the problem, most eveyone here is way too laid back & the "She'll be right, Mate" attitude is a hard nut to crack.
    There are moves underfoot to legislate 1100 (same as your 811) nationally, then there should be a public awareness campaign and it might not be such a struggle for us.

cheers ..don

Years of Experience
    30+

I am glad to have our Aussie friends on here. I like to hear how our down under friends locate. Post often and ask questions. You will get numerous answers.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I can see what you are saying is true. I'm sure after she's wrong enough times someone will get a bright idea and start a public campaign to promote digging safety. Anyone in a position to take advantage of that will do well. Unfortunately, it will take a few high profile deaths to make all of that happen.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Hey 'viners,
    Thanks very much for the warm welcome. And thanks publicly to Don from Groundscope. You've been a great help already down here with your emails and calls. Sounds like you had a good one the other day finding that High Voltage line in the City in the middle of the dig site. Talk about public awareness, my missus was cooking dinner the other night (she's a good girl... and she calls out that their is an Ad on TV for the Australian Dial Before You Dig (One call) service. First time I've ever seen that on the telly!

There are already a few bigish companies doing utility locates down here. I have no experience with them at all but I do hope that they don't follow the ways of one or two of the big US companies. It sounds like one or two of them could be quite demoralizing to work for. I do think that the locate industry is still behind the US in terms of size (per population) and general awareness so I agree, that there are still opportunities for go getters down here. Thank goodness we have resources like this to be able to compare notes and learn from.

Years of Experience

G'Day Mates; Welcome to the Vine ... Now I have one Big question for you ??????????????????????????????
    When you flush the toilet, which way does the water flow. Clockwise or Counter Clockwise?!?!?!?

G'day All
    been hiding in the shadows here, thought I better front up & say G'day.
    Have tried posting on the NULCA Australia website but having trouble signing up there. I get absolutely no help from them whatsoever, not even an acknowledgment or email response, I guess thats why there has only been less than a handful of posts on theit forum in the last 2 years. All I can do is to echo Derryn Hinch (Melbourne radio personality) Shame, NULCA , Shame on you !!
    On the other Hand, What a wonderful resource I have found here, Kudos to Cablevine !!

Hey LocateThis, I saw in an episode of the Simpsons that our water flushes the other way, so it must be true !!

Years of Experience
    30+

Welcome JustLocates,

This is a good source of info. You ask a question and you will get answers. Maybe not what you want to hear but you will get answers. There is a wealth of information on this site.

Welcome aboard!

Years of Experience
    30+

Nim is defiantly a spammer.

G'day JustLocates,
    Good to see another Aussie. And Locatethis....thanks for the great question! You actually got me on to wikipedia before I was distracted and went back to the footy. He he.

Just locates, tell us a bit about yourself, are you running your own show or working for someone. You'll have to say hi to groundscope when he pops on, he's another Victorian.