Thread: maybe new locator

Default maybe new locator

I will hopefully be a locator soon.. Im assuming that its a sure thing as I did the drug screen friday - to be in training the first week of Feb. My immediate background is in IT (doing some satellite installs for extra money).. If that doesnt sound weird enough, I went to school for Architecture (was a licensed draftsman when I grad HS)..... Before anyone asks, I looked at this job, as it was a full time job in the area I live (i recently relocated from a major metro area in Cali to a small city in Texas)

When I went on a ride along Friday, I noticed they are way understaffed here!! I will be covering mostly rural area (well, should be anyways)...

Any tips/tricks as to what to expect?? From what Ive seen, this jobs seems to be fairly easy with most of the job really being time management (fitting 26hrs of work into 8hr day) and damage control (with the client/contractor - getting the job done so they can get their job done).............

Anyways looking to get in the field.......

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: maybe new locator

Goodluck, I wouldn't mention this site too much, that hasn't faired well for some.

Rural areas are great for Noobs, they can be long, but their great to cut your teeth on.

Your production will be slow, but they should have a cusion for you though.

mke

Years of Experience
    enough

good deal, what company you working for? I got hired in with USIC a few weeks ago. So far so good.

lets just say, its one of the larger ones.. I didnt even start looking for a place like this till it looked like I had the job.. There is a job fair next week. They are looking for 4 other people in this area. The job im hoping to get will technically be avail during the fair, but unless 5 extremely well qualified people just happen to apply and one of them wants to work away from where they live (or lives in this area), then... oh well..

The "main" city (city pop of 20k) that I should be covering has a rep to have multiple emergencies daily... Im looking forward to this.. the team (that ill have approx an hr disconnect from) here seems to be a great bunch.. cant wait to actually get on the ground and running

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by krysbald1 View Post
    I will hopefully be a locator soon.. Im assuming that its a sure thing as I did the drug screen friday - to be in training the first week of Feb. My immediate background is in IT (doing some satellite installs for extra money).. If that doesnt sound weird enough, I went to school for Architecture (was a licensed draftsman when I grad HS)..... Before anyone asks, I looked at this job, as it was a full time job in the area I live (i recently relocated from a major metro area in Cali to a small city in Texas)

When I went on a ride along Friday, I noticed they are way understaffed here!! I will be covering mostly rural area (well, should be anyways)...

Any tips/tricks as to what to expect?? From what Ive seen, this jobs seems to be fairly easy with most of the job really being time management (fitting 26hrs of work into 8hr day) and damage control (with the client/contractor - getting the job done so they can get their job done).............

Anyways looking to get in the field.......
    Welcome aboard! First thing follow the advice not to mention you are on this board, there are some managers that find this place objectionable. Then there are some that find this place commendable and post here themselves. Error on the side of caution for now and keep silent.

As for information this site has extensive archives of posts. Browse through them and many questions will be answered. If you do not find it in the archives or something seems unclear just ask a question.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Welcome aboard. I hope you get this job. Keep in mind that locating is not for everyone. It takes a certain mental illness to be a locator. Just kidding. But for real, it does take a certain mindset. Just give it a chance.

Oh, and read this post: Are you applying for a locator job???
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    Welcome aboard. I hope you get this job. Keep in mind that locating is not for everyone. It takes a certain mental illness to be a locator. Just kidding. But for real, it does take a certain mindset. Just give it a chance.

Oh, and read this post: Are you applying for a locator job???
    Actually a little mental illness, or at least the appearance of it, goes a long way toward getting your work done.

Us experienced guys all know the routine; What you doing? Find any gold with that thing? And all the other questions homeowners ask. Takes up time that could be used for work.

Well if you look crazy enough they will stay inside the house and not bother you. I used to wear an odd looking hat, walked around my eyes real wide and crazy looking and having a vigorous conversation with nobody that was there. People just stayed inside and left me alone. Got a lot of work done till the foreman told me to knock it off.

Years of Experience

im just sneaky, you never know im on the property

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Actually a little mental illness, or at least the appearance of it, goes a long way toward getting your work done.

Us experienced guys all know the routine; What you doing? Find any gold with that thing? And all the other questions homeowners ask. Takes up time that could be used for work.

Well if you look crazy enough they will stay inside the house and not bother you. I used to wear an odd looking hat, walked around my eyes real wide and crazy looking and having a vigorous conversation with nobody that was there. People just stayed inside and left me alone. Got a lot of work done till the foreman told me to knock it off.
    "What Are You Doin!?!? GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!"
    you have entered a restricted area

Years of Experience

get used to "way under staffed" ..........b/c no matter what company you go with....that will be the norm.....good luck...welcome to this site...we look forward to your input.....
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    get used to "way under staffed" ..........b/c no matter what company you go with....that will be the norm.....good luck...welcome to this site...we look forward to your input.....
    "way understaffed" = overtime pay