Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking to join SM&P

Default Re: Looking to join SM&P

So what is it about the job causing the attrition? BTW, I start on the 20th with class. I've learned that most of what they teach you in class in no way applies to what's out there on the street...lol. Between cable and SATV, I've learned alot of that. I try to take what I learn in class and what I'm taught by a trainer and and see what works best for me and apply it.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Again GW, you'll do fine. Ignore USIC1, he's a bitter asshole who is just trying to piss you off. It's his thing.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Wing:

Yea, same here. Out of my class there are two of us left. I stayed here in my home city, the other fellow travels all over the world with our company (yes, we have contracts in other countries) so do not see a great deal of him.

This is a frustrating business, much of it needless,
    so that I believe leads to the higher than normal attrition I am guessing.
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Cool Re: Looking to join SM&P

Quote Originally Posted by gwhitson71 View Post
    Well just had my interview and everything went well. I enjoyed visiting with everyone I talked to. Going out on a ride along tomorrow, then if I like it, a drug test, and finally a date for the training class. I was hoping to get into the 23th of March class, but it looks like it may be 23APR.

Having seen many many trainees come outta class all I can advise is DO NOT fall for the rediculous scare tactics they try to shove down your throat. I have couple newbies who after a year cannot get past that.. It slows your productivity tremendously.. They started the "scarefest" my first day of only 2.5 days of training...but I also knew what was up before I started here so I just "debated" some of the less than truthful statements...It is meant to help you understand how dangerous our responsibilities are but goes way beyond necessity. You will see alot of advise from everyone and contradicting advice but each persons experience is going to be their basis for it. Do not think for a second it's going to be butterflies and rainbows for damn sure but once you get thru a full cycled year you will see how it works..You immediate sup and DM will depend on your experience..Good sups and Dm will help you come to love the tiny bit of freedom left in this industry.. Micromanagement is cancer to ppl who tasted the full freedom but times change and so will we.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    I love locating and couldn't think of a different job I'd do. If you have any specific questions just PM me. I don't work in OK though.[/B]
    I'd rather do this,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Smi3TuY5Lg

if I didn't have a local g/f
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde

Years of Experience
    na

My thoughts of a change - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up82_ilWavU

Well I'm off and running..lol. Started today. I have Eddie Williams and Ken Hardwick as instructors. Thought I'd mention their names in case any of you guys know them. Looking forward to getting on with the real meat and potatoes of the training. Some of the videos we watched today were god awful long and boring..lol. But, part of the process I guess. Thanks for all of the advice and encouragement. I'm assigned to N OKC area.

Years of Experience

I know them both. Know your supervisor too. Don't let Eddie get your training bogged down showing people how to operate a dang computer. You probably don't want to mention TheCableVine at the office either. Just a word of caution.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

LOL yeah, I figured as much as far as the Vine goes. But thanks for the heads up. You still planning on coming back?

Years of Experience

Not likely. I'm heading for the Pacific Northwest. Gonna swag and flag up there. Just haven't decided who I want to work for yet, lol.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Gotcha, OK well good luck to you, thanks for all the advice and help.

Poor guy doesn't know what he got himself into. J/K GWhit good luck and don't trust anyone, if you bend over to tie your shoe you may get a foot in the back shoving you in front of the bus.
    Life's a garden, dig it! - Joe Dirt

Roger that...lol. I love the analogy.

So I inherited the RD 4000..what you think about it? Good, Bad, ugly?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by gwhitson71 View Post
    So I inherited the RD 4000..what you think about it? Good, Bad, ugly?
    My personal weapon of choice. Dead on balls most time up to 10ft. Great passive reciever. Make sure you ask Russ when the last time it was calibrated...either way it's a thousand times better than the Rycom, which was your other choice, lol!

Did you get the big blue 4000 transmitter or did they give you a 400 (small black)? They both work fine, but the 4000 is a 3watt and the 400 only goes to 1watt. Trade-off is the 3watt weighs a ton.
    Last edited by RD_Wrangler; April 23rd, 2009 at 06:35 PM.

Per Scientiam Vires!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast