Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking to join SM&P

Default Re: Looking to join SM&P

This is where I wish we had the smiley with the middle finger (in good gest of course).
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

Oh but of course!

I probably met a few of you boys from up there at one time or another. I'm sure some of you remember the Nortex nightmare. Guess what? SM&P is now locating FOR COX Cable! Go figure...

Seriously though. Ya'll were a pretty cool bunch of hands. Helped pull us out of a real pickle. Too bad 'TH' was running things then and gave ya'll such a hard time.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Quote Originally Posted by 6feetunder View Post
    don't pick up any bad habits from the bad seeds that are out there and will try and convert any newbie to the darkside.
    Triple T that shit yo!!!!!!!

had a guy tell me that once when I was having an issue with 1 line (was another locator for a different utility, he didn't work for us lol)
    Last edited by scap; March 13th, 2009 at 08:54 PM.
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde

Locating for Cox in OK City? Well, when I was up there it didn't seem like anyone was doing their locates. I bet JM is pulling his hair out by now.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    Locating for Cox in OK City? Well, when I was up there it didn't seem like anyone was doing their locates. I bet JM is pulling his hair out by now.
    They're still hiring like mad if that tells you anything. I guess they're losing half of every class the first 2 weeks and then another 1/2 of whats left by 2 months. Add to that the number of older techs bailing since the pay freeze...not pretty.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

We really haven't lost many techs since the pay freeze announcement. I guess jobs are easier to find in Oklahoma.

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by RD_Wrangler View Post
    Two words to drive a Northern boy NUTS! - unlocatable yardline!
    yep, thats why we use all unlocatable private stickers that we can get our hands on when we are down there.

Unlocateable yard lines aren't the real problem - Non- locatable mains and services are. The last time I was there I was doing an Electric Primary replacement ticket that ran behind 10 or 11 houses. I was able to get 1 yard line, 1 service and about 50 ft of main to actually locate. Even when you go to a new sub-division the meters don't have tracer wire and God forbid they would actually spend $$ on test stations.

Excellent posts, thanks very much. I can deal with 12-14hours days seasonal. Perhaps longer. My kids are growns now, I'm single. With DBS, after you work your 14-15, then you have to go to the office and fill out tons of paperwork then get in line for over an hour to have your van inspected and counted down. I find the system inefficient as far as productivity points, but its is extremely accurate for accounting purposes.

One of my othe small complaints is the van to tech ratio. Typically I have 1 van partner who works the shift opposite me. Ordering consumables for some reason is supposed to be accomplished on his shift days. So if he orders the wrong items, too many, too less, etc, I can't correct it.

I still say overall DN is a good place to work for the right person, I just think I'd prefer the independent aspect of locating. I'm 38, motivated and a good self starter that is responsible and enjoys working alone. Whereas, there's so much checking in with inspectors, supervisors, etc that I think its a better fit for maybe a younger technician who's never had the freedom that CATV, DBS, and/or locating allows.

I think with any job like this we work alot of hours, again, I don't mind. Its just when I get 30 or more OT hours per week does it become problematic. I work my arse off only to give Uncle Sam the majority of my OT dollars. I've learned that if I can stay betweent 15-25 hours OT a week is my sweet spot.

A few more questions...
    1. I'm assuming there's a drug test and physical? I wouldn't have a problem with either, it just seems like they'll need to cram alot of this stuff in next week if I'm to begin class on the 23rd..lol.

2. When I first began in the CATV business, I would start out being routed the easy stuff, disconnects, active reconnects, etc. Slowly as my experienced increased, the technical level of my route would increase. Is this the same in the locating business?

Thanks again for all the replies, they are very much appreciated.

Well just had my interview and everything went well. I enjoyed visiting with everyone I talked to. Going out on a ride along tomorrow, then if I like it, a drug test, and finally a date for the training class. I was hoping to get into the 23th of March class, but it looks like it may be 23APR.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Good for you GW, you'll like this business.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

TY TY, yeah I'm excited about it..anyone out there work out of OKC?

Hey there GW, Hope you enjoyed your ridealong, get ready cause what they teach in class really doesn't help you a whole lot when you get thrown out in the real world of locating. Peak season in OKC, can and usually does mean 6 day work weeks with 12-14 hours each day. Not to mention that should some other crew get behind and need baling out, you most likely will be sent to help clean up tkts on that crew. Been there done that, worked in many different towns over central OKlahoma and in Tulsa district. So mentally prepare yourself, what they promise to get you in the door is certainly not what you get once out in the field. Seen them come and go, out of 22 people in my class some years back, only 2 left, me and 1 other, and the 1 other is walking a fine line to keep the job. On the backs of the best locators does USIC make their living! GL!

Most favorite quote! What you do in LIFE Echoes Through ETERNITY!!! Author Unknown

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by milewalker View Post
    Out of 22 people in my class some years back, only 2 left, me and 1 other, and the 1 other is walking a fine line to keep the job. On the backs of the best locators does USIC make their living! GL!
    I am Class of '97; a class of 14 noobs. 3 wussed out before the 90 days (they learned quickly that what we do is really work). 5 of us remain: 4 are still paintin' dirt full-time plus one as a full-time fire fighter, part-time paint slinger.

----------------------------------------------------------

Once you get past the 2 year guys, I don't think there are any prior training classes with at least 2 left still locating in this area. We had some heavy attrition the past few years.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast