Thread: let me introduce myself

Years of Experience
    lifetime

Default let me introduce myself

good day new friends,

i live and work in northern ca., i am a contractor that has been doing locates for about 10 yrs. now a quick explanation of my term locate

i got into locating as a sub for a swimming pool builder while doing plumbing and electrical contracts.

the wholesale house was an irrigation supply and they sold me a tempo 521 valve locator and wire tracer, from there i bought a pro-tech 600 valve finder, a tr 4110 cat 5, a daynatel 573-dl and a magnawand id locator.

i've really gotten into irrigation troubleshooting, utility location ( mainly for myself) and leak detection/underwater repair (fisher xlt 16)

i've also introduced the TDR into the irrigation field, using it to find the distance and placement of buried irrigation valves.

i participate on leak and irrigation forums for both the information and as continuing education sources.

i have family and a friends that are utility locators for gas and phone companies, they help me with questions that i may have.

you as professional locators prolly do as much in 1 day as i'll do in a week or 2, so i don't have the exposure that you have although i do locate every job i do and when work is slow i will set up practice fields to keep in touch with locating.

i'm not so much seeking a job as much as i'm seeking knowledge and would be greatful for any help that i would recieve from this forums other members.

thanks for your time.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: let me introduce myself

Welcome to the forum. Post often.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Welcome.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

You are at the right place for knowledge.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
    good day new friends,

I live and work in northern ca., I'm a contractor that has been doing locates for about 10 yrs.

I got into locating as a sub for a swimming pool builder while doing plumbing and electrical contracts.

the wholesale house was an irrigation supply and they sold me a tempo 521 valve locator and wire tracer, from there i bought a pro-tech 600 valve finder, a tr 4110 cat 5, a dynatel 573-dl and a magnawand id locator.

I've really gotten into irrigation troubleshooting, utility location (mainly for myself) and leak detection/underwater repair (fisher xlt 16)

Thanks for your time.
    Hey 1 eye - Welcome to the'Vine. Judging by all the equipment you use in your arsenal, you are a troubleshooter. Not only a troubleshooter, but a self-employed troubleshooter; establishing your own niche market in fault finding. Way to go 1 eye! Lots of ups and downs, I'm sure.

I've always admired individuals who become entrepreneurs. It's the American way! I've been drawing a paycheck from my employer for over 12 years locating utility infrastructure without regrets. I've considered entrepreneurship more than once in my married life (outside of locating), but my wife is not a "risk-taker." I find most women are not adventuresome (daring) when it involves money.

I know a self-employed, leak-detector technician who is on-call for a 4 state area (Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas and Missouri). In his car he carries a Fisher XLT30 in his trunk. His Fisher XLT30 Leak Detector is his main-line equipment with a couple other pieces he uses as back-up. He ain't no spring chicken, he ain't cheap, he gives 48-hour response times and has always been accurate finding elusive water leaks for municipalities. Large cities usually have their own system for finding difficult to catch leaks. He has done work for the large cities, but most of his work is for much smaller townships.

Talk about an entrepreneur establishing himself in a niche market in fault finding, check out this guy's leak-detection service web sight:
    BRUCE R. ROACHE
    Swimming Pool Leak Detection & Repair Diver

Anyway, I welcome your membership to our forum. Please post often.

--------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

welcome to the vine dude....hope you get the answers you seek as well as leave your own knowledge with us....post often
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    lifetime

[QUOTE=Wingfoot;24191][FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="4"]Hey 1 eye - Welcome to the'Vine. Judging by all the equipment you use in your arsenal, you are a troubleshooter. Not only a troubleshooter, but a self-employed troubleshooter; establishing your own niche market in fault finding. Way to go 1 eye! Lots of ups and downs, I'm sure.

thanks for the throwing down welome mat, i'll post as often as i can, lots of q&a out there.

i have talked to bruce on the phone, good guy.........he's in an area where he can work daily and do mainly underwater work. his web site is to be admired and used as a point of referrence for those building working sites.

today i have a couple questions that i'll post on the forum.

thanks again

Years of Experience
    lifetime

btw wingfoot, bruce and i are involved in the same leak detection forum