Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By Mark
  • 1 Post By RanVan
  • 1 Post By RanVan

Thread: Landscaper turning Locator

Years of Experience

Default Landscaper turning Locator

Hi... New the the forum... and relatively new to Locating. I'm a Landscape and Exterior contractor and have recently begun locating in past few months. I don't pretend to know any more than I do.

Yet, have been studying and practicing my butt off. Loving locating! Want to develop into fulltime. Bought Vivax locator and use it daily... even if don't need it on a site. I'll go locate something, somewhere. I believe in experience, experience, experience.

I don't really consider myself a locator yet. Tons more to learn, but I have learned a lot already by getting out there and finding targets. Even not finding targets is a learning experience. Anyway.... will be hanging around and checking out things in here, hope to learn something from you all. Would welcome any input for someone relatively new to field.

Thanks... RanVan

Years of Experience

Default Re: Landscaper turning Locator

Quote Originally Posted by RanVan View Post
    Hi... New the the forum... and relatively new to Locating. I'm a Landscape and Exterior contractor and have recently begun locating in past few months. I don't pretend to know any more than I do.

Yet, have been studying and practicing my butt off. Loving locating! Want to develop into fulltime. Bought Vivax locator and use it daily... even if don't need it on a site. I'll go locate something, somewhere. I believe in experience, experience, experience.

I don't really consider myself a locator yet. Tons more to learn, but I have learned a lot already by getting out there and finding targets. Even not finding targets is a learning experience. Anyway.... will be hanging around and checking out things in here, hope to learn something from you all. Would welcome any input for someone relatively new to field.

Thanks... RanVan
    Find another career, maybe.

Just kidding, welcome to the forum. This is the one and only website for utility locators... Around here we learn how to do a good job and blame the stupid contractor!

Years of Experience

welcome to the vine !
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Thanks Mark....

Locating is in infancy in our area as I see it. Not yet a requirement in BC like it is in Alberta and other areas. I've done a few things over my years but locating has stirred my interest significantly for many reasons. Might sound like glutton for punishment to veteran locators. Takes a patient, rational, teachable mind I feel. Doing training with a Utility Contractor buddy who is impacted by competency of the work of locators. But the real learning is on the sites. Thanks for the welcome.
    UULC likes this.

Years of Experience

Thanks Yahoo. See you on the boards.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    welcome to the vine !
    PS.... was down your way this past March. Lake Charles. Loved it.
    yahoo likes this.

Senior Member CableAvoidanceTool's Avatar
    Years of Experience

British Columbia doesn't have mandated one call system laws for excavators? Really now?

So the city of Vancouver, with a population of 603,502, has no underground locators marking gas or electric lines for when digging happens around town?

Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Can you elaborate if you meant rural areas of British Columbia or literally the whole area?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by CableAvoidanceTool View Post
    British Columbia doesn't have mandated one call system laws for excavators? Really now? So the city of Vancouver, with a population of 603,502, has no underground locators marking gas or electric lines for when digging happens around town? Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Can you elaborate if you meant rural areas of British Columbia or literally the whole area?
    Hi Cable A/T... thanks for reply.

There is lots of locating going on, and contracts usually require 1-call as well as locating, especially if doing work for public or private utilities, municipalities, etc. But it is not yet universally mandated in the Province like I am of the understanding it is in Alberta.

That said, two things to recognize...

1. You hit, you pay. The liability is still on the ground-disturber and all the more so if he does not show he made effort to locate.... and yet more so again if he didn't even do a free one-call.

2. All high-profile companies have put one-call and locating into standard and safety procedures. They have to for liability reasons and Worksafe (Workmans Compensation) compliance.

BUT... again, it is not yet law. And our population actually in what we call "Greater Vancouver" including all suburbs is closer to 2 million people... and we are booming in construction because of insane real-estate market. Plus the hangover of Oil/Gas up til last year.

So... one reason I am training in this field is I see it as an up and coming trade. Interestingly, I had to fly to Alberta for training. There is very little in B.C. But that will change.

Alberta has underground gas and oil lines ... maybe not quite on the scale of Texas, but certainly signficant. I am told one-call minimum is mandatory for any ground disturbance even on private property. Includes like fences and landscaping.

In BC, we have a lot of smaller jobs that take their chances and just dig anyway and hope for the best. Landscapers, fence builders, even drainage and smaller excav projects. Check this article out from I believe 2015 ... found it in the DAMAGES link of this forum. It is from small city in BC called Campbell River. It paints the picture pretty much how things are here... Utility Locating and Damage Prevention - ackhoe springs gas line in Campbellton

Thanks again for your reply. I am posting a locate question on one of the other pages would welcome input on.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the site. Hope you find all the info you are looking for in your quest to improve your skills. If not, ask and someone will gladly answer.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    Welcome to the site. Hope you find all the info you are looking for in your quest to improve your skills. If not, ask and someone will gladly answer.
    Indeed CableVine.... thank you. Been very helpful and questions being answered. Glad to have joined.