Thread: just starting out in west michigan

Question just starting out in west michigan

I,m just starting out on my own I thing im getting into the swing of it. I'm doin about 8 locates a day without feeling like I'm rushing. i've been out of training about two weeks just wandering if 8 locates a day is good for now or if i shuld be movin a little faster

Default Re: just starting out in west michigan

Quote Originally Posted by wmiusic View Post
    I,m just starting out on my own I thing im getting into the swing of it. I'm doin about 8 locates a day without feeling like I'm rushing. i've been out of training about two weeks just wandering if 8 locates a day is good for now or if i shuld be movin a little faster
    Speed will come naturally - not everyone is the same. Work at a pace you can maintain safely without leaving a locate you don't feel good about. It will become more routine with more experience.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    Speed will come naturally - not everyone is the same. Work at a pace you can maintain safely without leaving a locate you don't feel good about. It will become more routine with more experience.
    I second Spray's opinion.

Depending on your locate density (how many utilities you do at each request) I would say 8 per day is pretty good for being on your own for 2 weeks. Particularly if it's in a 3 to 4 way area.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

At only two weeks in the field don't feel like you have to do X amount of any type of ticket per day. Concentrate on doing the jobs right and coming up with a process/routine that works for you. Don't be afraid to call someone either even if your question might be stupid. Don't start thinking about how much you are doing until 6 months to a year in. Like Spray said the speed will come naturally in time. This job comes with enough pressure already so don't put anymore on yourself.
    Life's a garden, dig it! - Joe Dirt

Years of Experience

Agreed to all, and I'll add this. Take your time to find what works for you. Get into a routine that works, and stick to it. Eventually you will get in a great groove and much of what you do will be second nature. Above all, work safely. Always be aware of your surroundings. If something doesn't feel/ seem right, get a second opinion. Good luck!

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I may as well throw my 2 cents in here. You are worried about your production but your management isn't. They are worried about whether or not you understand what you are doing and that you are doing it right. You should be worried about that over production.

8 locates a day I believe is just about right for 2 weeks in the field. Now, forget about that and concentrate on doing it right. Speed will come naturally.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

8 is a good number for now.....take your time as said above.....you'll b thankful one day for listening
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Ill just echo what others are saying, Don't rush. Take as much time as you need. Always double check your prints. If you get confused call someone, There is never a stupid question. Although I might laugh, you should ask =] Good luck guy!